Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2014, 03:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Another thing that is also overlooked that it was black people selling other black people in Africa during the slave trade.
So.

White people killed 6 million other white people in the Holocaust.

Does that mean that the Holocaust wasn't so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:26 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Unless they've changed the terminology and nobody told Google, I think you mean "AP" (American) History.

And PC liberals, stop here or your head is going to explode...

...if you notice, all the "great black people" referred to (and the others not mentioned), all have the exactly same accomplishment: they pushed for getting more (adulation, benefits) for the demographic group they represent, which is still only 13% of the population. If we are to be objective, that is not an "accomplishment" that really deserves academic attention on the same level as those who invented the cotton gin, or the internal combustion engine, or computers.

From my own experience, plus what I've heard from relatives with kids recently in school (in both AP and non-AP history classes), non-AP students continue to hear a LOT more about the history of African-Americans (who constitute only about 13% of the American population) than AP students do. Think about it: which courses are more likely to spend most of their class time pushing the "idolization of minorities" views of those currently in power, rather than imparting actual knowledge that will be needed for very intensive testing in the legal and governmental development of America? Fact is, you don't have TIME to waste reinforcing the prevailing social agenda, when you're trying to get students to pass rigorous tests that can save them up to a year's college tuition.

For those not familiar, "AP" is the acronym "Advanced Placement," meaning you can be granted college credits in lieu of taking certain college course(s), if your tested knowledge in the subject(s) was either sufficient (for those colleges accepting a score of "3" to get credit), or superior (for those more demanding colleges that required a score of "4" to get credit). All colleges give credit for a score of 4 or 5. The AP history tests aren't just about trivia knowledge; if you knew all the necessary trivia and dates, it was the essays that largely determined whether you got a score of 4 or 5. In my AP history class I was one of the two who scored 5 (4 other students scored 4, and the other person in the class scored a 3), which was a common distribution for the approximately 5% of high school students that then took the AP American History course that prepared you for the exam.

And while the AP tests are certainly not immune to reflecting the social propaganda of our times, they do NOT waste many test questions on the "gimme" questions that every student (AP or non-AP) knows to answer in PC manner. To illustrate how much the AP American History test is NOT about African-American history, check out the sub-topics, and the sample quizzes related to each sub-topic here: USQuizMainPAge
You're way off base. BTW, I meant what I wrote: AA (as in African American) and I was also referring to college-level courses. AP is for high school students.

Your lack of knowledge about the inventions of AAs goes to show that it is still very much needed. Here's a hint: our contributions to US society did not begin/revolve around the CRM. We've made contributions since we arrived in this country. Granted, many of those ideas were probably stolen by slavemasters.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:27 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So if they are not dedicating an entire month to this them why do we have it?

Why not just cover the many legitamit accomplishments in chronological order like how the rest of US history is taught?
I don't know why, other then a month sounds like a solid, respectful length of time. I am not justifying it, just trying to come up with a logical reason for why they gave it a month. But then so many months have been turned into <insert special interest group> awareness month of some type or another, which makes them all fairly meaningless.

I think an entire month to dwell on race is not what made the country great. We are not a country obsessed with race, it's pretty much a non factor, and the race baiters use the month to trash talk whites, and harden people's hearts over nothing but skin color, which i don't like

Old 02-27-2014, 03:29 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:34 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
When I was in school there was no "focus" on black history. The focus was on American history, which included slavery. I was there during MLK and the CRMs. What I know today came from my own curiosity through reading books and research (to this day). I think some people just don't care - not because its about black history, it's just that they don't care and you can't force someone to care about something they have no interest in. The same way many people don't care about the history of the American Revolution (even when it was being taught in school). For obvious reasons, black people want to learn about their history. And this would be the same for people of every other ethnicity that had a poor American moment in history.

With regard to divide - white people may have created the divide, but at this point in time its a mutual divide. Both sides are contributing to it and we really don't know who is contributing the most. In my opinion, it's pretty equal. As long as things keep going the way they are going, racial divide is here to stay. I highly doubt that most Americans actually make an effort to try to find fault with other cultures and celebrations.

I'm going to say what many people think: the "push", which almost seems like "force and demand", that everyone needs to be deeply educated about black history could be a turn off. It's like when someone screams, most people don't hear what they are saying they just hear the screaming and walk away.

I got to thinking about Chinese slavery in America (part of history). My curiosity lead me to this and makes me wonder if black people aren't negating this or is this just "irrelevant"?:

Cherokee freedmen controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AND THIS:

America's first slave owner was a black man.

This is part of black history. If that was taught in school I think some might declare "hypocrisy" seeing as how black history teaches that only white people were responsible for slavery.
I think it's known by anyone who actually studied or paid attention to black history, that blacks owned slaves. This just goes to further show that black history month is needed if you are just now finding this out.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:38 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Can you provide a link to support your claim?

Watch and TV and prove me wrong. We can quibble whether it is 88%, 90%, or 98%. If you are honest you will admit that when your turn on TV you see an OVER representation of whites, and white dominated contexts.

Please don't waste your time denying this fact.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Great post. And you are spot on with what I put in bold. It's interesting how some people think that blacks are sheep to the Democrat party, yet they aren't able to see that the GOP does a great job at brainwashing poor whites.

The thing is democrats actually were the ones that brainswashed the poor whites. They didn't even consider blacks to be "whole" men.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So.

Nobody ever said slavery wasn't so bad... the problem is Jewish people today don't expect to be excused from being worthless human beings because of the Holocaust. Many black folks today blame everything in their lives on slavery, that's absurd.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:41 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Did it ever dawn on you that black history is much more integrally related to American history in general, and yet prior to Black History month becoming popular, was ignored?

If you really do know about black history you know that it is integral to American history, and yet you know that without this specific focus, you would know very little.

Very few people are going to do their own research.

Now we can simply not teach history of ANY type in school, and just focus on math, science and English. Maybe that will end the rant on this topic.
No one is arguing that black history isn't an integral to American history. It has been noted several times that it is part of American history. Your argument is that enough black history isn't being taught in school.

I agree about focusing on STEM subjects and making them a priority. We have a very uneducated population that will be taking over this country at some point in time. STEMs are tools that are drastically needed and important to the future of this country, as are other subjects that prepare for one's future.
Learning about black history may change the minds of some, be of no interest to some, and others will continue to think the way they do, but it won't change this country nor will it do much else. Educated people they will change this country, not a history lesson.

Add more about black history to the American history courses, and let people decide if they want to explore black history further through reading.

Who are the ones doing the ranting?

Old 02-27-2014, 03:43 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Here's a hint: our contributions to US society did not begin/revolve around the CRM. We've made contributions since we arrived in this country. Granted, many of those ideas were probably stolen by slavemasters.
Really, which contributions have you made personally since arriving in this country? Since you've never been a slave I'm certain your slavemasters haven't stolen anything from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies