Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly. Cone is a well-known White-hating racist. Rev. Wright credits Cone as founding the Black Liberation Theology on which Wright readily admits Trinity UCC's mission is based.
I don't care who Cone is. Reverend Wright NEVER credits Cone as a founding the Black Liberation Theology. Reverend Wright actually states, EXPLICITLY, that Black Liberation Theology started 400 years ago. That well pre-dates the existence of Cone, making it impossible for Cone to be a founder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yes. Read it again: https://web.archive.org/web/20080325...ing_points.htm

It's a theology founded in White-hating racism. Well-known fact.
Well-known fact????

You clearly have a problem with the word "fact". Your opinion is not "fact".

Old 02-28-2014, 09:52 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Well, I was trying to be nice. If you don't like the word "interpretation", let's go with "misreading."
It's misleading only if you've been duped, which you apparently have been.

Once, again, I've provided links to MULTIPLE sources quoting Cone's anti-White racist rhetoric, complete with citations and footnotes. NONE of them have been disproved.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Yes. Read it again: https://web.archive.org/web/20080325...ing_points.htm

It's a theology founded in White-hating racism. Well-known fact.
Read a little further down.

'I use the word “systematized” because Black liberation theology was in existence long before Dr. Cone’s book. It originates in the days of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. '

Old 02-28-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I don't care who Cone is.
Well, goody for you, but Rev. Wright explicitly refers to White-hating racist Cone as the founder of Black Liberation Theology, on which Wright declares Trinity UCC's mission is based.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
It's misleading only if you've been duped, which you apparently have been.

Once, again, I've provided links to MULTIPLE sources quoting Cone's anti-White racist rhetoric, complete with citations and footnotes. NONE of them have been disproved.
And Mr Cone is irrelevant, since he's not a founder of Black Liberation theology. He's merely a scholar who has systematized the study of this theology, and published the first book on the theology.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Well-known fact????
Yes. Published and cited in many sources, some of which I've linked in this thread.

Question, DC... why are you so hell-bent on defending a racist? Hmmm...???

Quote:
Well, goody for you, but Rev. Wright explicitly refers to White-hating racist Cone as the founder of Black Liberation Theology, on which Wright declares Trinity UCC's mission is based.
No, he doesn't.

See again:

I use the word “systematized” because Black liberation theology was in existence long before Dr. Cone’s book. It originates in the days of the Trans-Atlantic slave trade.

7,605 posts, read 4,849,003 times
Quote:
Exactly. Cone is a well-known White-hating racist. Rev. Wright credits Cone as founding the Black Liberation Theology on which Wright readily admits Trinity UCC's mission is based.
Dr. Cone is well known and respected.

Professor James H. Cone, known as the founder of black liberation theology, is the Charles A. Briggs Distinguished Professor of Systematic Theology at Union Theological Seminary. He attended Shorter College (1954-56) and holds a B.A. degree from Philander Smith College (1958). In 1961, he received a Master of Divinity degree from Garrett Theological Seminary and later earned an M.A. (1963) and Ph.D. (1965) from Northwestern University. Dr. Cone has been conferred thirteen (13) honorary degrees, including an honoris causa from the Institut Protestant de Théologie in Paris, France.

Among his numerous awards are the American Black Achievement Award in religion given by Ebony Magazine (November 1992), the Fund for Theological Education Award for contributions to theological education and scholarship (November 1999), the Martin E. Marty Award for the Public Understanding of Religion (2009), the Eliza Garrett Distinguished Service Award in recognition of seminal theological scholarship from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary (2010).

- See more at: James Cone - Union Theological Seminary

Only certain people claim that he is a white hating racist.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Yes. Published and cited in many sources, some of which I've linked in this thread.

Question, DC... why are you so hell-bent on defending a racist? Hmmm...???
I'm defending integrity and truth and accuracy.

I won't say what I think you're defending. I will just repeat, once again, that you are WRONG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies