Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2014, 02:06 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times

Advertisements

If your're looking for examples of war crimes on all sides, World War II is replete with them. There was a lot of genuine hatred there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 02:06 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Prove the wedding party was the primary target and not a mistake.
Quote:
"A deadly attack on illegitimate targets amounts to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment if, as in this case, it results in serious physical or mental pain and suffering for the innocent victims,"
United Nations News Centre - Yemen: UN experts condemn drone strikes on wedding procession

Old 12-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I have no idea whether it was. Neither do you.

If it was al-Baghdadi's wedding, it would probably be a lawful operation.
The UN didn't see it that way.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:17 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
The headline from your own link: "Yemen: UN experts condemn drone strikes on mistaken wedding processions."

Yep, mistaken targets is the very definition of collateral damage. Kind of like the hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians who were killed in George Bush's invasion. That's what happens in war, though I don't see you shed any tears for them.

All of which has nothing to do with the subject of this thread, which is George Bush's torture chambers. Feel free to continue to chase your tail around in circles, though, because that's what you do.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:17 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Well, whatever your personal views/politics/etc., I think I can say with reasonable certainty that torture and mistreatment of the enemy will continue long after the current unpleasantness fades from memory. Is it the moral thing to do? No. Even our nice, agreeable friends to the North don't have clean hands in recent memory:

The Canadian Airborne Regiment's Somali Affair, 20 years later | Wounds healing

I don't vilify them for it. Young men (and older men, for that matter) will do disagreeable things in time of conflict.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
If your're looking for examples of war crimes on all sides, World War II is replete with them. There was a lot of genuine hatred there.
Excellent posts.

I never understand why ALL WWII veterans are considered hero. I guess because we fought a good war there.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:18 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,124 times
Well at least we got rid of McCain for a while, he's found another podium for himself

Old 12-10-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The headline from your own link: "Yemen: UN experts condemn drone strikes on mistaken wedding processions."
It wasn't mistaken. It was a wedding procession. Striking a military target is one thing; this was a wedding procession. What was the military target? Even the UN condemned it. That should tell you something...

Old 12-10-2014, 02:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I hate radical Islam. That's why I'm against torture, illegal wars / drone strikes, and strong arming our allies into aiding our bad behavior. NO useful info comes from torturing someone, they will tell you whatever you want to hear. And then the radical groups use torture to increase recruitment.

It seems some people think the only choices are torture or let them live on an beach with a fruity drink. You can still make life hard for them w/o breaking international laws

Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
For all the conservatives saying "Waterboarding isn't torture", watch this short video and get back to me (btw, the guy in the video isn't a liberal):
When you find a video of a beheading someone can just get up and walk away from...

then I'll concede your weak point...otherwise I could care less what anyone does to them.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Here's what United States law says torture is:

18 U.S. Code § 2340 - Definitions

prev | next
As used in this chapter—
(1) “torture” means an act committed by a person acting under the color of law specifically intended to inflict severe physical or mental pain or suffering (other than pain or suffering incidental to lawful sanctions) upon another person within his custody or physical control;
(2) “severe mental pain or suffering” means the prolonged mental harm caused by or resulting from— (A) the intentional infliction or threatened infliction of severe physical pain or suffering;
(B) the administration or application, or threatened administration or application, of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or the personality;
(C) the threat of imminent death; or
(D) the threat that another person will imminently be subjected to death, severe physical pain or suffering, or the administration or application of mind-altering substances or other procedures calculated to disrupt profoundly the senses or personality; and

(3) “United States” means the several States of the United States, the District of Columbia, and the commonwealths, territories, and possessions of the United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
..........snip for length..........

In some cases it is. More pertinently anything that is intentionally used to inflict suffering with the intention of obtaining cooperation or information while that person is under the jurisdiction of a signatory nation of the UN Convention Against Torture, is classified IN LAW as torture. Ir could be painting their toenails red, if the intention is to inflict suffering to obtain cooperation or information it is torture. The US signed this on 18th April 1988

thank you

so having the threat of taxes, is BY LAW..torture

having the threat of a mandated purchase (aca) is BY LAW ..torture

letting a liberal speak is torture

THE WAY THAT LAW IS WRITTEN, ANYTHING CAN BE CONSIDERED TORTURE

SEE UNDERLINED IN LAW....means even using a 'truth serum' or lsd is torture...heck giving the guy a joint would be torture the way that law is written

see orange....so the threat of the death penalty through trail...is torture the way the law is written

and yes I too have been waterborded..and have been through the SERE course

personally, I would have rather the CIA used knives of those malicious terrorists

btw waterboarding has been used for decades and is still a viable form of interrogation, that the current admin also uses

Last edited by workingclasshero; 12-10-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies