Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:15 AM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
If an intruder hears the pump of a hunting shotgun they will get the hell out of dodge and never come back. Since someone with that shotgun would never pump it to load the shell into the chamber unless they meant to use it, a intruder would realize that and decide to not face the person with the shotgun.

Ah yes, another urban myth:

Shotgun Myths

Survival Shotgun Series – Myths Explained

Home defense shotgun: Myths and reality | The Daily Caller

Old 05-04-2014, 10:22 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,234,618 times
Executing an injured female seems extreme? He was found guilty right?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:23 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Executing an injured female seems extreme? He was found guilty right?
Yes, guilty on both counts.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The guy deserves it if for no more reason then opening his fat mouth! Rule number one DO NOT TALK TO COPS! always demand a lawyer first. #2 NO PHOTOS! I would also add a tip... Keep a completely untraceable hand gun around to stick in their cold dead fingers before the cops come.....
Thanks. Serial killers and mafiosos across the country are taking notes.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM

947 posts, read 1,465,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not an urban myth. Reality.

The Daily Caller is full of crap and no one should ever link to it.

Pregnant Woman With Shotgun Thwarts Burglars « CBS Minnesota

the sound of her racking the shot gun scared off two intruders.

WebCite query result

"When the door was answered by a person related to the home's owner, that person was greeted by three men armed with handguns who proceeded to force their way into the home, Perkins said.

"A resident was able to run upstairs and alert his dad," Perkins said. The homeowner grabbed his shotgun, ran downstairs and racked it. The suspects fled before he could aim at them, Perkins said."

Old 05-04-2014, 05:50 PM

45,455 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Quote:
Not an urban myth. Reality.

The Daily Caller is full of crap and no one should ever link to it.

Pregnant Woman With Shotgun Thwarts Burglars « CBS Minnesota

the sound of her racking the shot gun scared off two intruders.

WebCite query result

"When the door was answered by a person related to the home's owner, that person was greeted by three men armed with handguns who proceeded to force their way into the home, Perkins said.

"A resident was able to run upstairs and alert his dad," Perkins said. The homeowner grabbed his shotgun, ran downstairs and racked it. The suspects fled before he could aim at them, Perkins said."
If you cant refute the information cast doubt on the medium. Notice you had nothing to say about the "crap" in my other two cites.

As my cites stated, charging your weapon will do a couple things, alert the intruders you are there and give them a location. If they're armed you need to then be ready for a gunfight.

I thought we aren't supposed to use singular anecdotes. Guess your rules are different.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:04 PM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
I haven't read anywhere that the teenage thieves were armed. I could be wrong. Please provide a link if so.
You are right, I apologize for confusing things. I responded to another poster but now I realize that poster didn't mention armed intruders either.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 AM

15,408 posts, read 6,204,355 times
Quote:
Yes people like a old man with Alzheimer's walking his dogs in a fugue state.

Like people who drove into your drive way by mistake due to a gps navigation system telling them to go there.

Like a door to door salesman.

Like a person walking door to door knocking on each door to get help since they were involved in an accident.

Like a teenager on Halloween night going door to door while dressed up.

Those are more likely to be found and killed by homeowners who state they want to kill people they perceive as being up to no go outside their house, then a felon trying to commit a robbery of said home.
Another example (especially in Texas) is he shoots someone in the neighborhood that is going door to door to quickly warn his/her neighbors that a massive tornado is heading toward the neighborhood and to take precautions to protect themselves.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Another example (especially in Texas) is he shoots someone in the neighborhood that is going door to door to quickly warn his/her neighbors that a massive tornado is heading toward the neighborhood and to take precautions to protect themselves.

Please see my comment in post 227 above.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,204,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please see my comment in post 227 above.
Then that has probably been a more recent shift in thinking. Yes, I did miss that post. Once it gets to be this many in a thread, it happens. Most people could get that warning information from the TV meteorologist barring power outage or even their smartphone perhaps these days anyways. Good reminder to read all posts. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.