Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 09:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? whereTF did you get the idea that someone earning $16K gets reduced phone and reduced electric?
Federal phone subsidies have been around for decades, and most states have electric subsidies for the poor..
Quote:
Which is ironic since the childless poor and near-poor can't afford their own housing, and therefore don't qualify for reduced phone and electric.
The childless poor cant afford their own housing, thats why you are supposed to find roomates. Its no different for people who arent single, they SHARE expenses..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Federal phone subsidies have been around for decades, and most states have electric subsidies for the poor..

The childless poor cant afford their own housing, thats why you are supposed to find roomates. Its no different for people who arent single, they SHARE expenses..

Are you getting the freaking irony yet???

Person A earns $16K lives alone and gets reduced phone and electric.

Person B earns $12K (perhaps reduced hours due to Obamacare), must share housing (in this case, with others who also each earn $12K), NOBODY living with B qualifies for reduced phone and electric.

Why should the $12K earner LOSE electric subsidy by living with others? What if it's a $12K earner renting a room from a millionaire and splitting the utilities evenly? The government formula seems to imply that the millionaire should pay more of the electric bill than his renter.

Oh wait, ONE person living with B does qualify for reduced phone, the first to apply, all others get the SUZE treatment.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That is funny???

Why???
You think poor people can accumulate capital. Either you were poor in a previous century, or were never poor to begin with. Good luck saving up $300k for a business when getting to $1k means you're cut off from all welfare and suddenly are spending more than you make.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Are you getting the freaking irony yet???

Person A earns $16K lives alone and gets reduced phone and electric.

Person B earns $12K (perhaps reduced hours due to Obamacare), must share housing (in this case, with others who also each earn $12K), NOBODY living with B qualifies for reduced phone and electric.

Why should the $12K earner LOSE electric subsidy by living with others? What if it's a $12K earner renting a room from a millionaire and splitting the utilities evenly? The government formula seems to imply that the millionaire should pay more of the electric bill than his renter.

Oh wait, ONE person living with B does qualify for reduced phone, the first to apply, all others get the SUZE treatment.
So why should people be responsible when they can get the government to pay their way? And yet you dont think people on welfare, and other governmental programs understand this as well?

Maybe we should STOP encouraging people to MAKE BAD CHOICES..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You think poor people can accumulate capital. Either you were poor in a previous century, or were never poor to begin with. Good luck saving up $300k for a business when getting to $1k means you're cut off from all welfare and suddenly are spending more than you make.
I was homeless when I started my internet company and I lived in a $12K home when I bought my first $1M investment property..

What on gods earth makes you think you need $300K to start a business? How much does a lawnmower cost for example to start a lawn cutting business?

Old 04-17-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
So why should people be responsible when they can get the government to pay their way? And yet you dont think people on welfare, and other governmental programs understand this as well?

Maybe we should STOP encouraging people to MAKE BAD CHOICES..

How is the $12K (without subsidized phone or electric) making a bad decision by living with others? (he'd get subsidized if he lived alone)

Please describe some GOOD choices available to me.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
1) find a roomate and share costs, rather than whining about it..

Arent you the very poster that was doing computer programming decades ago, but still flipping burgers? I might have you confused with another poster.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
I cleaned ****.

Yes, in another century..... around the 1995s.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I was homeless when I started my internet company and I lived in a $12K home when I bought my first $1M investment property..

What on gods earth makes you think you need $300K to start a business? How much does a lawnmower cost for example to start a lawn cutting business?

??? HowTF did you qualify to purchase and WhyTF didn't the lender ROFLTAO?

And how do I start a lawn cutting business? (Great time of year for it!) I'd love to buy a lawnmower but have no vehicle or license with which to transport it. Should I stick to my neighborhood and homes within walking distance?

Can't find any $12K homes around these parts.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
How is the $12K (without subsidized phone or electric) making a bad decision by living with others? (he'd get subsidized if he lived alone)

Is what you have now a good choice??

I thought about what all people needed......my answer was water.

Let your answer come to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies