Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I doubt that is true and I'm going to guess there is a reason employers don't think you're worth any more. Probably a very good reason since they all seem to agree.
Oh, Lord.....how wrong could you be???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 01:45 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm one of the 50% of the nation who pays no federal income taxes at all.

I not only havent paid a dime in over a decade, but I also receive rebates from the government for various credits, so you pay me, to not pay taxes..

Now it looks like I'm going to collect Medicaid
Don't worry about collecting Medicaid. I know you didn't pay into it, but since you live below poverty level, you might as well collect it. No one (except maybe some political hack) is going to ask you how much tax you paid into it. Eligibility is not based on your taxes.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Don't worry about collecting Medicaid. I know you didn't pay into it, but since your income if low enough to qualify for it, then you might as well collect it.
That is the way I feel.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:52 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It's not that they don't want to work. They choose the shorter term view of remaining on a welfare system versus the entry level job. I understand the decision, but it keeps you stuck which is the problem. This, by the way, is not baseless. It comes from my personal experience with people in the system and from the results of a study by the Cato Institute.

"Still, what is undeniable is that for many recipients in the most generous states — particularly those classified as long-term recipients — welfare pays substantially more than an entry-level job.

By not working, welfare recipients may be responding rationally to the incentives our public policy makers have established.

And yet we know that over the long term, a job is better than welfare. Census figures show that only 2.6% of full-time workers are poor, compared with 23.9% of adults who do not work. "
So these entry-level jobs supposedly pay less than welfare (which itself is well below poverty level income), and I guess they go unfilled because there's just no way the business could pay more for entry-level jobs!

If companies are really so hard up for workers, they should increase salaries (basic supply/demand). If they can't afford to pay more than slave wages for employees, they don't deserve to be in business.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
So these entry-level jobs supposedly pay less than welfare (which itself is well below poverty level income)!.
Not necessarily true when you add up the various benefits.
Quote:
If companies are really so hard up for workers, they should increase salaries (basic supply/demand). If they can't afford to pay more than slave wages for employees, they don't deserve to be in business.
You still don't understand how it works. If companies were hard up for these workers they would pay more. They aren't. Someone on welfare looking toward their future would be hard up for a job if they considered the long-term results of employement versus welfare. They don't because welfare seems better at the moment which is the point being made about the welfare system being problematic.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:58 PM

19,653 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Don't worry about collecting Medicaid. I know you didn't pay into it, but since you live below poverty level, you might as well collect it. No one (except maybe some political hack) is going to ask you how much tax you paid into it. Eligibility is not based on your taxes.
Good luck with finding decent medical care on Medicaid.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Not necessarily true when you add up the various benefits.
Every example of this I've read assumes that people are able to collect every benefit available, even if they have contradictory requirements and are impossible to actually collect at the same time.
Quote:
You still don't understand how it works. If companies were hard up for these workers they would pay more. They aren't. Someone on welfare looking toward their future would be hard up for a job if they considered the long-term results of employement versus welfare. They don't because welfare seems better at the moment which is the point being made about the welfare system being problematic.
If the companies are filling the positions, then logically there aren't more jobs available for the people still on welfare, so we have a job shortage and cutting welfare would mean people would just die penniless in a gutter, not that more jobs would magically appear. Anyone who got off welfare to take one of these jobs would just be displacing another person onto welfare.

Edit: Also, most welfare has work requirements, so most people on welfare aren't even avoiding work by doing so, which makes your argument even more nonsensical.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
The majority of Americans have already relinquished all their wealth to corporations.
Then why are they still living in their homes, many of which have no mortgage, if they supposedly don't own them anymore and corporations do, as you assert?

Nearly one-third of U.S. homeowners have no mortgage - Los Angeles Times

You do realize that a non-mortgaged home that one owns is a wealth asset, no? Tax wealth, and you tax homeownership away from the 1/3 who own their homes outright.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Have you seen a Wall Street Journal since Obama was elected? Talk about whining. Everytime somebody mentions wealth exploitation, the wealthy are all "wah wah, my feelings, how dare anybody criticize me for inheriting all my wealth from my parents and then paying people minimum wage while I keep all the profits and they die of preventable diseases."
How much of the rich's wealth do you think is inherited?

This should be good...

Old 04-17-2014, 02:26 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
Quote:
Every example of this I've read assumes that people are able to collect every benefit available, even if they have contradictory requirements and are impossible to actually collect at the same time.
The federal government funds 126 separate programs targeted towards low-income people, 72 of which provide either cash or in-kind benefits to individuals. (The rest fund community-wide programs for low-income neighborhoods, with no direct benefits to individuals.) State and local governments operate more welfare programs.Of course, no individual or family gets benefits from all 72 programs, but many do get aid from a number of them at any point in time.

Today, the Cato institute is releasing a new study looking at the state-by-state value of welfare for a mother with two children. In the Empire State, a family receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, Medicaid, food stamps, WIC, public housing, utility assistance and free commodities (like milk and cheese) would have a package of benefits worth $38,004, the seventh-highest in the nation.

While that might not sound overly generous, remember that welfare benefits aren’t taxed, while wages are. So someone in New York would have to earn more than $21 per hour to be better off than they would be on welfare.That’s more than the average statewide entry-level salary for a teacher.

Quote:
If the companies are filling the positions, then logically there aren't more jobs available for the people still on welfare, so we have a job shortage and cutting welfare would mean people would just die penniless in a gutter, not that more jobs would magically appear. Anyone who got off welfare to take one of these jobs would just be displacing another person onto welfare..
Many of these postions are filled by teenagers.

Quote:
Edit: Also, most welfare has work requirements, so most people on welfare aren't even avoiding work by doing so, which makes your argument even more nonsensical.
despite the work requirements included in the 1996 welfare reform, only 27.6 percent of adult welfare recipients in New York are working in unsubsidized jobs?(Another 13 percent are involved in the more broadly defined “work participation,” which includes job search, training and other things

So 40% are working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies