Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 07:23 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I guess we're pretending muggings, robberies, beatings, and rapes do not occur on a daily basis in this country. Statistically, the odds of it happening to any one person are very low, but I'd imagine that is very little consolation to the people it does happen to. They do happen daily to someone though, and you could be that someone, so it makes sense to have a means of protection.
You're so scared of getting mugged or raped that you think you have to carry a pistol on your hip when you go to the mall or the Little League park?

Oddly, 99.99999% of us aren't that frightened. I've personally been around well over 60 years and have been in a lot of tight places, yet I've never felt the need to sport a gun in my usual daily activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 07:49 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You're so scared of getting mugged or raped that you think you have to carry a pistol on your hip when you go to the mall or the Little League park?

Oddly, 99.99999% of us aren't that frightened. I've personally been around well over 60 years and have been in a lot of tight places, yet I've never felt the need to sport a gun in my usual daily activities.
It is irrelevant. You are so scared of people carrying a pistol on their hips too. So look who is talking?

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is about

"double standard when it comes to 1st amendment right and 2rd amendment right" It is not about "why do people have to carrying their guns on their hips."

Talk about that instead.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is irrelevant. You are so scared of people carrying a pistol on their hips too. So look who is talking?

"double standard when it comes to 1st amendment right and 2rd amendment right" It is not about "why do people have to carrying their guns on their hips."

Talk about that instead.
Er, if you read my earlier posts you'd see that this came up in the context of the so-called "double standard" you're referring to. As I said then, there are plenty of limitations on speech, and there's no basis to insist that guns should be given special treatment.

I'm not scared of people carrying guns on their hips at the mall and the little league park, but it's ridiculous and provocative. What's the point of doing something so foolish?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Er, if you read my earlier posts you'd see that this came up in the context of the so-called "double standard" you're referring to. As I said then, there are plenty of limitations on speech, and there's no basis to insist that guns should be given special treatment.

I'm not scared of people carrying guns on their hips at the mall and the little league park, but it's ridiculous and provocative. What's the point of doing something so foolish?
It is only foolish in YOUR eyes. Just because it is "foolish", people have to give up on their 2rd amendment right? Are you kidding? Why don't you tell the foolish people who burn flag to give up on their 1st amendment right?

"so called" double standard? Even you admitted earlier that my state is ridiculous (your word, not mine) for banning people from carrying unloaded guns in public.

I hate to repeat myself over and over again, but let me know why burning American flag is legal,
and carrying unloaded gun is illegal? well, if this is not double standard, I don't know what is. But if you want to deny it, then I don't know what to tell you.

Either way, I just don't understand why are you so obsessed about the "whys". I don't know why do somebody have to burn a flag to make a point, but I have to tolerate it because burning flag is people's constitutional right.

I fail to see why carrying an unloaded gun in public is not protected by my 2rd amendment right, just because you might be offended by it?

Care to enlighten me?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:07 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:

"double standard when it comes to 1st amendment right and 2rd amendment"

Talk about that instead.
It's not a double standard. The first amendment says nothing about whether my speech endangers public safety or not, but if I yell "fire!" in a crowded theater, I will go to jail and my claim that the first amendment absolutely gives me the right to say what I want wherever and whenever I want won't help me.

Even if people choose to ignore it, there are plenty of ongoing arguments pertaining to freedom of speech and freedom of the press (journalists jailed for refusing to reveal their sources, hate speech that crosses the line towards inciting violence, etc).

First Amendment issues touch upon issues of public safety (mentioned above), national defense (Wikileaks, the publishing of the Pentagon Papers, etc.), and individual privacy (are the paparazzi legit, or are they essentially stalking celebrities and invading their privacy?And how much privacy can celebrities expect in public as they are public figures? etc). How much freedom of speech to minors have (what can kids say and do in school, etc.).

Second Amendment issues touch upon public safety. Some people may argue that having more firearms and easier access to firearms makes for a safer public, and they'll trot out their numbers to back that up. Others will say that having more restricted access to firearms makes for a safer public, and they'll trot out their numbers to back that up.

But the point is that someone putting their fingers in their ears and screaming "Second Amendment!" in an attempt to pretend like the argument doesn't even exist or is even a valid argument to have is the person being hypocritical and applying a double standard, because when it comes to the arguments surrounding the First Amendment, both sides are at least getting the opportunity to present their respective cases as to why such and such behavior is or isn't protected under the First Amendment. The people who claim to be staunchly defending the Second Amendment won't even recognize that a valid argument against their position might exist. Even the ACLU doesn't do that, they actually engage their opponent's arguments head on, unlike say, the NRA.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
It's not a double standard. The first amendment says nothing about whether my speech endangers public safety or not, but if I yell "fire!" in a crowded theater, I will go to jail and my claim that the first amendment absolutely gives me the right to say what I want wherever and whenever I want won't help me.

Even if people choose to ignore it, there are plenty of ongoing arguments pertaining to freedom of speech and freedom of the press (journalists jailed for refusing to reveal their sources, hate speech that crosses the line towards inciting violence, etc).

First Amendment issues touch upon issues of public safety (mentioned above), national defense (Wikileaks, the publishing of the Pentagon Papers, etc.), and individual privacy (are the paparazzi legit, or are they essentially stalking celebrities and invading their privacy?And how much privacy can celebrities expect in public as they are public figures? etc). How much freedom of speech to minors have (what can kids say and do in school, etc.).

Second Amendment issues touch upon public safety. Some people may argue that having more firearms and easier access to firearms makes for a safer public, and they'll trot out their numbers to back that up. Others will say that having more restricted access to firearms makes for a safer public, and they'll trot out their numbers to back that up.

But the point is that someone putting their fingers in their ears and screaming "Second Amendment!" in an attempt to pretend like the argument doesn't even exist or is even a valid argument to have is the person being hypocritical and applying a double standard, because when it comes to the arguments surrounding the First Amendment, both sides are at least getting the opportunity to present their respective cases as to why such and such behavior is or isn't protected under the First Amendment. The people who claim to be staunchly defending the Second Amendment won't even recognize that a valid argument against their position might exist. Even the ACLU doesn't do that, they actually engage their opponent's arguments head on, unlike say, the NRA.

Really? So carrying an UNLOADED gun in public endangers the public? WOW Are you serious? Again, double standard.

Just to let you know, careless smoking can cause fires, playing fire (burning flag) can cause fires too. So burning flag is not 100% safe. But carrying an unloaded gun in public is 100% safe. Duh.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
It is only foolish in YOUR eyes. Just because it is "foolish", people have to give up on their 2rd amendment right? Are you kidding?

"so called" double stand, even you admitted earlier that my state is ridiculous (your word, not mine) for banning people from carrying unloaded guns in public.

I hate to repeat myself over and over again, let me know why burning American flag is legal,
and carrying unloaded gun is illegal? well, if this is not double standard, I don't know what is. But if you want to deny it, then I don't know what to tell you.

Either way, I just don't understand why are you so obsessed about the "whys". I don't know why do somebody have to burn a flag to make a point, but I have to tolerate it because burning flag is people's constitutional right.

I fail to see why carrying an unloaded gun in public is not protected by my 2rd amendment right.

Care to enlighten me?
Well, I'll repeat it for you. No right is unfettered and absolute.

You keep telling me your state says you can't transport an unloaded gun, but the video you posted says all you have to do is stick it in a locked case or put it in the trunk. Personally I think that's nit-picky, but isn't that what most people do anyway?

If you're talking about walking around with a gun on your hip as you go about the normal affairs of life, that's a different matter. As I said earlier, displaying a firearm in circumstances where no one else carries them is clearly provocative.

How would the rest of us know whether it's loaded or not?

How would we know whether you can be trusted with a deadly weapon in our midst, when no one else is frightened enough to carry one?

How would we know anything about you? Whether you have any training? Whether you are level-headed? Whether you have have a history of impulsiveness, domestic violence or imagined dangers or slights?

Wouldn't it be reasonable for us to assume that since most people aren't walking around in daily fear of our lives, that maybe your anxiety about having deadly force at your fingertips at all times is a bit extreme and irrational?

As to burning a flag, that's exceedingly obnoxious but it doesn't carry the risk of somebody getting shot.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Well, I'll repeat it for you. No right is unfettered and absolute.

You keep telling me your state says you can't transport an unloaded gun, but the video you posted says all you have to do is stick it in a locked case or put it in the trunk. Personally I think that's nit-picky, but isn't that what most people do anyway?

If you're talking about walking around with a gun on your hip as you go about the normal affairs of life, that's a different matter. As I said earlier, displaying a firearm in circumstances where no one else carries them is clearly provocative.

How would the rest of us know whether it's loaded or not?

How would we know whether you can be trusted with a deadly weapon in our midst, when no one else is frightened enough to carry one?

How would we know anything about you? Whether you have any training? Whether you are level-headed? Whether you have have a history of impulsiveness, domestic violence or imagined dangers or slights?

Wouldn't it be reasonable for us to assume that since most people aren't walking around in daily fear of our lives, that maybe your anxiety about having deadly force at your fingertips at all times is a bit extreme and irrational?

As to burning a flag, that's exceedingly obnoxious but it doesn't carry the risk of somebody getting shot.
Again, Irrelevant. I don't care why somebody have to burn a flag to make a point. It is their constitutional right (burning flag that is), I guess I just have to tolerate it because the world does not resolve around me. (Flag burner might cause fires though, so I suggest you stay far away from them)

Nobody should care why do I have to carry an unloaded gun in public either. But if I carry unloaded gun in public, I might be thrown in jail, I simply won't take that risk, I have to give up on my 2rd amendment right unwillingly. 2rd amendment right is subject to change without notice. I realized it now.

I am not enlightened. sorry Actually, I am done with my discussion with you because all you are capable of is circular argument. You can come back say your last word, I know you will.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Again, Irrelevant. I don't care why somebody have to burn a flag to make a point. (Flag burner might cause fires though, so I suggest you stay far away from them)

Nobody should care why do I have to carry an unloaded gun in public either. But if I carry unloaded gun in public, I might be thrown in jail, I simply won't take that risk, I have to give up on my 2rd amendment right unwillingly.

I am not enlightened. sorry Actually, I am done with my discussion with you because all you are capable of is circular argument. You can come back say your last word, I know you will.
Gotcha.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Quote:
Really? So carrying an UNLOADED gun in public endangers the public? WOW Are you serious? Again, double standard.

Just to let you know, careless smoking can cause fires, playing fire (burning flag) can cause fires too. So burning flag is not 100% safe. But carrying an unloaded gun in public is 100% safe. Duh.
I didn't say anything about an unloaded gun. You just put your fingers in your ears and yelled "Second Amendment!"

Don't ever complain about the other side being unreasonable again. I just tried to reason with you, and you just ignored what I said and said something about an unloaded gun, which I didn't mention one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies