Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:54 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It really goes beyond just voter ID's but that is off topic, things like reduced voting hours seems like a move in the wrong direction for a country that already has an anemic voting record.
I agree with you. I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed. What really gets me is why are lines and wait times so long in the neighborhoods not as well off as other polling places voting in the same elections? This is totally unfair in my opinion and deliberately done to reduce the number of votes cast in polling places in poor precincts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I agree with you. I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed. What really gets me is why are lines and wait times so long in the neighborhoods not as well off as other polling places voting in the same elections? This is totally unfair in my opinion and deliberately done to reduce the number of votes cast in polling places in poor precincts.
Yes particularly places like Florida, there is no reason to have to wait hours on line. I do have to wonder about the already low participation rate of 50% in a national election, hard to imagine people having no interest to vote in the last few presidential elections. The rate was close to 90% earlier in our history.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:09 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Yes, I tend to slightly hijack every voter ID thread because I do agree in this day and age that our technology should allow us easy methods to ensure a secure voter process which does not disenfranchise anyone. So, while I like the idea of Voter ID, if done right, it's not as important to me as other parts of our voting process that need serious attention.
Well stated.

The Brennan Center is a good source for tracking changes in voting rights.

Voting Laws Roundup 2014 | Brennan Center for Justice

Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Yes particularly places like Florida, there is no reason to have to wait hours on line. I do have to wonder about the already low participation rate of 50% in a national election, hard to imagine people having no interest to vote in the last few presidential elections. The rate was close to 90% earlier in our history.
The lines in Florida in the last election made the U.S. look like a third world country. It is embarrassing that in this day and age, people should have to wait hours and hours to vote. Instead of wasting time battling a nonexistent problem of voter fraud, how about spending some time dealing with the real problems in states like Ohio and Florida, where early voting days and hours were drastically cut in 2012 in a blatant attempt to discourage voting?

Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Well stated.

The Brennan Center is a good source for tracking changes in voting rights.

Voting Laws Roundup 2014 | Brennan Center for Justice
Yes, but they have an agenda and I like to take my information from several sources as to try and get the a holistic picture - including originating material (e.g. current voter statutes). By the way, those links from HistorianDude are copied and pasted from The Brennan Center. They are focused on one viewpoint only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies