Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do burglars deserve death?
Yes 156 59.77%
No 105 40.23%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 PM

963 posts, read 689,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
If someone breaks into your house, do they deserve death for it? Even if they're not even armed? There's been several stories in the news about teenagers who broke into old men's homes and were slain unnecessarily after the threat was neutralized and the general consensus was that the men were heroes for protecting their stuff.

Now I'm sure being burgled is traumatic, but is it really a greater evil than killing an intruder? Especially if there was no reason to do so aside from revenge? If so why not treat it the same as murder if apparently it's equally serious and make it a capital crime you can be executed for?
You're talking about HOME INVASION. You have no idea whether their armed or not. You MUST assume they are. If they're willing to steal your stuff - especially if they know you're home - it's a small leap to steal your life.

Under these circumstances, YES. It is justifiable to protect your stuff, your family, and your life. Shoot the thug (or, if they be black, "the little darling").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 02:55 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Stealing something from your driveway is completely different from someone who breaks into your house. If they break into your house. As the scenario the OP is posting. The threat is there.
Yes, it is different, which is why I asked. The question is not whether or not you'd kill to defend yourelf, the question is whether or not you'd kill a thief, or whether or not you'd take a life to defend property (not life).

Old 02-15-2015, 03:03 PM

273 posts, read 240,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest Revisited View Post
When someone sees a man with a M1A 7.62X51mm (.308 Winchester), Yugo M70AB2 underfolder AK 7.62X39mm or a Colt Government 20" AR-15A2 5.56x45mm (.223 Rem) or the likes walking towards you and is a combat Veteran most guys ***t themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, it is different, which is why I asked. The question is not whether or not you'd kill to defend yourelf, the question is whether or not you'd kill a thief, or whether or not you'd take a life to defend property (not life).
You should see what a buttstroke AKA "Johnny Feel Good" CAN and will do to someones jaw as well.

Out cold and down for the count should I DECIDE to spare them if they cry enough.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:04 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Nobody has the right to enter my house uninvited. If you enter my home uninvited you are subject to the death penalty. It is at my discretion as to whether or not to implement it. Simple solution is, don't come into my house uninvited.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:06 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
A reflection of the distorted twisted sentiment I was referring to. You even provided yet another example of such a sentiment:Why not yet your words and my words stand as is? Are your words not enough to defend themselves? Or do you realize that highlighting the nature of the sentiment that underlies such words puts your comment in a bad light?
My statement was about me.

Your statement was an assumption about OTHERS.

To even THINK others get a "glee" for taking someone life is just down right SICK!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Nobody has the right to enter my house uninvited. If you enter my home uninvited you are subject to the death penalty. It is at my discretion as to whether or not to implement it. Simple solution is, don't come into my house uninvited.
Most highly trained personnel can tell if you have a bed wetter thug or a violent one upon encountering them too.

If he laughs at my high power weaponry it won't be a good start to prove his innocents and will to keep living. Don't sass or mouth me off either.....I'm the boss here a**hole.....I got the gun!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
If the homeowner is at home when someone breaks in how do they know the intentions of the intruder? How do they know the intruder is unarmed?

It would be great if the homeowner could either detain them or run them off without physical harm. It is understandable if that doesn't happen. If you enter an occupied home with criminal intent it should be understood that death is possible.

The question should be "Is it worth your life to steal something?"
I am going to take that literally.

If the intruder has arms attached to his shoulders, as a 116 lb. woman, I consider those arms just as deadly as a knife or a gun and will act accordingly.

And, I agree wholeheartedly, once a thief has entered my home, he is the one who put a price on his life, not me.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My statement was about me.

Your statement was an assumption about OTHERS.

To even THINK others get a "glee" for taking someone life is just down right SICK!
The U.S. Marines and U.S. Army say hello!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:14 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
If someone breaks into your house, do they deserve death for it? Even if they're not even armed? There's been several stories in the news about teenagers who broke into old men's homes and were slain unnecessarily after the threat was neutralized and the general consensus was that the men were heroes for protecting their stuff.

Now I'm sure being burgled is traumatic, but is it really a greater evil than killing an intruder? Especially if there was no reason to do so aside from revenge? If so why not treat it the same as murder if apparently it's equally serious and make it a capital crime you can be executed for?
Yep he or she does, because they are not there for cookie and milk! There is no revenge here to protecting one Castle!

It has been my experience most police dept. do not have the time to do a extensive investigation and end up telling you use your home owners policy. Wrong on so many levels!

Next think you be saying is helping the crooks load up the U-Haul van.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:15 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Assume there is a thief in the garage, and you are in the house. Would you go into the garage and kill him, or would you call the cops to pick him up, even if you knew he might get away before the cops get there?

The question is whether or not you'd kill a thief. Everyone is making it about self defence, but what if it is not about sel defence, but the defence of property?

"According to American Police Beat, the average response time for an emergency call is 10 minutes. Atlanta has the worst response time with 11 to 12 minutes and Nashville comes in at a lightning speed of 9 minutes"

Someone breaking into your garage may NOT be the top on the list for a cop to respond to.

On the way to YOUR house he could be diverted to a shooting or other more pressing emergency.

Chances are if the thief knows that you know he is there he WILL be gone BEFORE the cops get there.

ASSUME you have $200,000 collectors car in the garage. Would THAT make a difference to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies