Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I actually feel sorry for you. You cannot see how eaten with racism you are. You are missing out on a great life.
That's you Progs. Stop projecting. So do you think Michelle sat down with Holder and explained to him that what he said was racist? I know, you don't think Progs can be racists, but you're wrong, they are the BIGGEST racists out there.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:08 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
That's you Progs. Stop projecting. So do you think Michelle sat down with Holder and explained to him that what he said was racist? I know, you don't think Progs can be racists, but you're wrong, they are the BIGGEST racists out there.
You are old enough to know that two wrongs don't make a right. I am not a progressive at all. I just want to live in peace and for those around me as well. And those that get treated like dirt.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
So I'm wondering does this speaking up if you hear something racist apply to everyone or just non-blacks? And even if its meant to include blacks, somehow I get the feeling that few if any blacks will actively try and do as Michelle asked.

Also while I'm all for integration and people of different backgrounds/ethnicities mingling with each other, why does EVERYTHING have to be inclusive and multicultural? If certain activities/groups etc are predominately one race/ethnicity why can't it stay that way rather than being forced to be open to everyone or else potentially be seen as racist?

Something as simple as the Bachelor show for example where there was talk about having a black bachelor instead of being all white bachelors (with the exception of one). Why does something even like that have to be inclusive instead of blacks simply having their own similar show?

So what I'm saying is that while its great to have people of different backgrounds/ethnicities getting together and mingling, its also great to have people of your own background/ethnicity getting together too and there's no need to mandate that every activity has to be open to everyone.
Oh you haven't heard about all the people complaining about why there isn't A WET if we have BET, or why there isn't a NAAWP if we have a NAACP, or why we don't White History Month. Face, you will never be happy with what we do.

And yes her speech was for everyone. Sheesh.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
You are old enough to know that two wrongs don't make a right. I am not a progressive at all. I just want to live in peace and for those around me as well. And those that get treated like dirt.
You are a raging Progressive. Your posts speak for themselves. STOP making excuses for the Obama's being hypocrites! Did Michelle sit down with Holder or not? How about her husband when he wrote about his "typical white" grandmother? The people occupying the WH are pure scumbags.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Are you pointing a finger at me? Sure we are all a bit racist. You are too and so with almost all of us.
I get better treatment by people of color overall. The town i went to school in had a sign at the city limits until 1964 that said "N***** don't let the sunset(i graduated in 1970). Our family didn't believe in that stuff; surely a bit will rub off on anyone. What is your excuse?
I'm sorry if you got that impression from my post. That is not what I meant at all. I was trying to agree with you about the racist person you were replying to. I will try to choose my words more carefully in the future.

My father also grew up in a town with that same city limits sign. It was not uncommon in certain parts of the U.S. He even witnessed a Klan hanging as a boy hiding in the woods.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
You are a raging Progressive. Your posts speak for themselves. STOP making excuses for the Obama's being hypocrites! Did Michelle sit down with Holder or not? How about her husband when he wrote about his "typical white" grandmother? The people occupying the WH are pure scumbags.
I've told you this once before.... If you're going to talk about a line written in Obama's autobiography you should at least attempt to get the quote right. He wrote something like this: "My grandmother was a typical white woman of her generation who clutched her purse closer to her body when a black man walked by her at the bus stop." I never could understand why you right wingers call that statement racist. White women of a certain generation DID clutch their purses tighter when a black man walked by. I knew exactly what Obama meant because I did it myself and I was not offended by him writing about it. It was what it was, a marker of the times we lived in AND the quote was used to show how much society has changed. Context is everything, yet you radical Obama haters refuse to see that! You miss-quote on purpose and twist things around so you can act offended over something that isn't offensive to people with an ounce of fair play and reading comprehension.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I've told you this once before.... If you're going to talk about a line written in Obama's autobiography you should at least attempt to get the quote right. He wrote something like this: "My grandmother was a typical white woman of her generation who clutched her purse closer to her body when a black man walked by her at the bus stop." I never could understand why you right wingers call that statement racist. White women of a certain generation DID clutch their purses tighter when a black man walked by. I knew exactly what Obama meant because I did it myself and I was not offended by him writing about it. It was what it was, a marker of the times we lived in AND the quote was used to show how much society has changed. Context is everything, yet you radical Obama haters refuse to see that! You miss-quote on purpose and twist things around so you can act offended over something that isn't offensive to people with an ounce of fair play and reading comprehension.
I don't care. I know the context. It is a racist view point of his. So if I said a someone was acting like typical black teen and was selling drugs and carrying an illegal gun, you'd be all over me for being a racist, although IT IS TRUE!

Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I don't care. I know the context. It is a racist view point of his. So if I said a someone was acting like typical black teen and was selling drugs and carrying an illegal gun, you'd be all over me for being a racist, although IT IS TRUE!
Surely you don't believe that kind of activity is the norm for all black teens?

Old 05-20-2014, 08:43 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'm sorry if you got that impression from my post. That is not what I meant at all. I was trying to agree with you about the racist person you were replying to. I will try to choose my words more carefully in the future.

My father also grew up in a town with that same city limits sign. It was not uncommon in certain parts of the U.S. He even witnessed a Klan hanging as a boy hiding in the woods.
Thanks. Terrible thing your father saw happen. Done most likely by up standing citizens.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
So it seems you would prefer children to be indoctrinated with the racism of their parents in their own home as opposed to talking to their parents about what they said was actually racist?

It seems weird, but it seems like you guys are getting upset at the notion of not being able to be racist in your own home in front of your children or other family members without being called on it. That's the vibe I'm getting from all these posts complaining about what she said.

"If I wanna be racist in my house, let me be racist without my kids calling me out!!!"
Actually, yeah. You are and should be able to think and say what you want in your own home. Even if it's totally un-PC or stupid.

My parents said some wacky stuff, not racist, but not things I would agree with. We could keep it light in our disagreements but this is not what the first lady is saying. She is telling a child to "correct" an adult's thinking in their home. I've seen those family fights over politics and religion and you just don't go there, and a high school kid especially doesn't want to go there.

You also don't want to go there as a member of a fraternity or sorority. You should know what you signed up for. Your frat is non-diverse? So you join them and then decide you don't like how they run things. That should work well for you.

MO is telling people to become trouble makers, which can backfire terribly on the individual and it really has no effect on how people are going to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies