Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 07:59 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,818,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Because their function is to protect the society, even if it involves killing. You didn't know that?
So am I not allowed to protect myself?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:05 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So am I not allowed to protect myself?
Yes you are but you shouldn't have a gun.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:08 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Because their function is to protect the society, even if it involves killing. You didn't know that?
Yes I did know that. So then guns aren't only for killing they are protection also. So that means means killing is not necessarily wrong. That means guns are a instrument of the user under context. There is a distinct difference between murder and killing.

Do the police and military always use their guns in a lawful and justified manner? The answer would be most often yes but sometimes no. If gun control proponents suggest that because some civilians use a gun wrongly thus all should be banned from ownership doesn't it go to say that since a few police and military people use a gun wrongly all should be disarmed?

Are all police and military personnel of higher quality , higher moral standards and more trusty worthy compared to civilians? The answer is no not always.
Do you believe you are incapable of defending yourself and using good judgement and only police can?
Do you believe you do not have the right to defend yourself with the best means possible?
Do you believe it is the right of others to decide this for you?
Do you believe that police and the military will always be able to defend you in time?

If the police and military have the sole function to protect and kill why is a civilian the president in charge of them? Clearly under the belief that only the military and police can be trusted with guns why is it the person in charge of the largest arsenal known is a civilian? What makes a president more moral and capable than you?, because in America's history there have been certain presidents who showed a clear lack of certain morality.

This concludes that the majority of civilians who own guns use them in a lawful manner considering there are millions of gun owners compared to gun crime, and that a badge or a uniform doesn't guarantee better morality, training or judgement. It also concludes that while guns may be for killing , it is the context on how they are used that defines whether it is good or evil.

This why we have the constitution and bill of rights written as is, and why emphasis in them was written to state individual rights, not just rights of the ruling class or government.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Yes I did know that. So then guns aren't only for killing they are protection also.
Are you a southern philosopher or something? Guns are for killing, they are weapons. The military and police receive special training and have a special function in the society.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Yes you are but you shouldn't have a gun.

You shouldn't have a computer to dish out your version of what things "should be". See how that works.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:25 PM

Not really. I live in a gun-free New York City which has half of the murder rate of Dallas and Houston, even though there are more tourist visiting NYC in a day than Dallas and Houston combined in a month. I am talking from experience.
Gun control works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You shouldn't have a computer to dish out your version of what things "should be". See how that works.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Not really. I live in a gun-free New York City which has half of the murder rate of Dallas and Houston, even though there are more tourist visiting NYC in a day than Dallas and Houston combined in a month.
Gun control works.
NY isn't gun free. You known that though just like you know so many of the things you claim are rubbish.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:28 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,214 times
Quote:
Not really. I live in a gun-free New York City which has half of the murder rate of Dallas and Houston, even though there are more tourist visiting NYC in a day than Dallas and Houston combined in a month. I am talking from experience.
Gun control works.
Relaxing gun laws in Chicago has reduced crime significantly.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,018 times
Quote:
Gun control works.
Are ya sure it ain't cops frisking every black man they see?

Old 05-27-2014, 08:38 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,388,345 times
Quote:
Are you a southern philosopher or something? Guns are for killing, they are weapons. The military and police receive special training and have a special function in the society.
One I hope you aren't using the term "southern" as a derogatory term to infer that people of the south are of less intellect or "redneck" in your mind. Because that would have you result to name calling instead of debate, something pro gun control people too often result to that makes them look small minded and out of options to come back in a intelligent way.

I have met many people from many places and many areas and their geographical location often had nothing to do with their education or more importantly WISDOM. Personally I neither claim to be smarter or above you, but I don't believe I am below you either. Let's debate and see where this ends because its not about winning the argument, its about exchange of ideas and opinions at the end of the day.

I have known many gun owners in my time civilian , active military and police. I have seen many civilian just as capable and trusty worthy with a firearm as many police or military. While police and military receive training, that is not to say a civilian can't be of competence and good judgement with a firearm.

At the range I use to see a active police man shoot his rifle with inch wide patterns at 200 yds and he knew what he was doing and safely yet I have known civilians do just the same. I once knew a active military member who we took out his new .45 auto 1911 he had bought and he fumbled with it and couldn't hit the side of a barn due to lack of skill yet he had "military training", he didn't do much better with a AR-15 either. Because his MOS just required him to pass minimum training with a rifle and he hadn't used a firearm 3 years after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies