Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

He's a damn crybaby. I remember an era when men were men.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:23 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The guy has seriously jumped the shark, and I can kinda understand it, but good grief, do it privately.

He was shown at a rally, starting a "Not One More" chant, and it was heartbreaking to watch. Not because he lost his son, but because he honestly seems to think his voice might make a difference.

I hope all the thumping makes him feel better, but soon, he'll come to the realization that nothing will have changed. Knives will still be purchased, guns will still be fired, BMWs will still fall off roads and injure/kill people. Nothing will change, no matter how many people chant.
I got you-- so this is the new, more socially acceptable position...

"Gee I'd love to do something if I could, but, nothing will change anyway. Good luck."

I wonder how this quiet, considerate stance will change if legislation starts making it way through the process?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:26 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,084 times
I agree with the article below, Rodger's views were indeed skewed by mental illness and that perhaps more could have been done to identify and flag this individual as a danger to society. It should also be noted that the pressure to conform and be part of the in-crowd in places such as California may also have played a part, and I am sure Rodger's raged against all those moneyed Californian types with their beautiful perfect enhanced looks and perfect lives. As for gun licensing laws, that's for Americans to decide, and it should be noted that California has quite strict gun laws compared to many parts of the US.

Elliot Rodger was a misogynist – but is that all he was?

Last edited by Bamford; 05-28-2014 at 06:54 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 06:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Richard Martinez on California shootings: 'My kid died because nobody responded to Sandy Hook'
i sympathize, but that doesn't mean i think his comments are rational

Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I got you-- so this is the new, more socially acceptable position...

"Gee I'd love to do something if I could, but, nothing will change anyway. Good luck."

I wonder how this quiet, considerate stance will change if legislation starts making it way through the process?
What legislation would have changed the outcome here?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:29 AM

17,809 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Somehow I can't take YOU seriously. Gun deaths way out number stabbing deaths. Likely if he only had a knife, those would have been the only deaths.
If knives and guns are the lethal equivalent then why do these people insist on having a gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
He's a damn crybaby. I remember an era when men were men.
If you said that to this man's face, you probably would have to shoot him. Pretty classless even for the internet.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:31 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Sandy hook was BS from the start! (Just a false flag to help thier gun agenda)
I imagine you would be one of those people who would tell a grieving parent of a Sandy Hook victim that their child never existed, right? And we wonder why we can't have an honest discussion about gun violence in this country.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
If knives and guns are the lethal equivalent then why do these people insist on having a gun?

If you said that to this man's face, you probably would have to shoot him. Pretty classless even for the internet.

People with dead children have done a great deal of harm to this nation. I have no sympathy for fascists.

MADD was started by some "grieving" mom. Now you cannot even drink a beer in rush hour traffic.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:38 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
Saw it on the national news (which I rarely watch) this morning. I remember him and the commentator saying "Law enforcement has to do more:. Geez...more what!! If law enforcement does more then you hear the cry "Police State", "Nazis" etc. Yet it is ALWAYS law enforcement that is blamed when something like this happens. Like they have a crystal ball they look into to predict crime. What about the family? What about the doctor that prescribed those meds? The school? Stop using law enforcement as a scapegoat all of the time already!!!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:39 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,863,789 times
Quote:
Somehow I can't take YOU seriously. Gun deaths way out number stabbing deaths. Likely if he only had a knife, those would have been the only deaths.

I'm not for "taking all the guns", but we have a problem here with mentally ill people being able to access guns. This has resulted in multiple tragedies over the last couple of years. You can stick your head in the ground if you want, or throw up red herrings such as this-- but in the end the problem needs to be dealt with.

I think we have enough dead kids due to this-- Don't you?

You can stop at "we have a problem here with mentally ill people.'

The reality is that this kid was SERIOUSLY mentally ill. The 'media' is reporting that he had been in counseling in one form or another since he was a child.

Normal, mentally-healthy people do not commit mass murder with guns, knives, baseball bats, or any other form of weapon. They just don't. The grieving dad's son didn't die because nobody responded to Sandy Hook. The grieving dad's son died because a MENTALLY ILL person -- who should have been locked up, just like we do to all dangerous things (rapists, murders, and rabid dogs) -- decided he would exact revenge on people for his own shortcomings.

The mentally ill/BigPharma aspect will always get cast aside in situations like this, because it is so much easier to demonize guns. The solution to events like this is to increase our spending on mental health. We've decimated our mental healthcare system at a time when more of us (not me, thankfully) are on some form of prescription medication. We're a heavily medicated (i.e. BigPharma) society, and we're starting to see the impact of the adverse effects of psychiatric medication. Mentally unstable people need to be treated, and by treated, I don't mean left to their own devices, driving around Santa Barbara in a 3-series BMW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies