Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,401,046 times

Advertisements

Still waiting for a answer to my questions posed above, if my question so absurd then it should be easy to answer. Some pro gun control people have said in this thread that guns are only for killing which infers killing is wrong and immoral so again, if so why is it acceptable for the police and military to have guns and kill?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Because this is their function in society
You didn't answer the question you only made a statement with that, why is it acceptable for the military and police to have guns and kill with them? But while you are at it provide detail of said function you say?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,137 times
I just answered it. Military and the police have a special function in a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You didn't answer the question you only made a statement with that, why is it acceptable for the military and police to have guns and kill with them? But while you are at it provide detail of said function you say?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,788,452 times
A study done by the U.S. Dept. of Justice under the Clinton administration in the 1990s, found that 3.1 million people reported using a gun defensively to stop or deter crime in the year 1994 alone. Many of them reported multiple uses, with a total of 23 million incidents of Defensive Gun Usage that year.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

Such uses include times when the gun was only mentioned, times when the gun was produced in view of the criminal, times when it was fired with no one injured, times when the criminal was injured, and times when the criminal was killed. Of course, in the large majority of incidents, the gun was not fired, or was deliberately fired into the air (warning shot). In the vast majority of incidents, the criminal(s) either fled, or surrendered and was taken into custody.

The study states flatly that "guns are used far more often to defend against crime than to perpetrate crime."

Other studies by other groups, including a recent one by the Obama administration, have shown similar patterns.

As you can probably guess, these studies have received very little coverage in the mainstream media.

These results compile only the people who freely admitted to a stranger calling on the phone and saying he was from the government, that they had used their gun to defend themselves in a crime incident. The number of people who declined to answer, is not included.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
I just answered it. Military and the police have a special function in a society.
Control

What will it take to control the military and the police?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
No you didn't answer. What is their function as you say it define it please, and why does this "function" have to included being armed with guns, as in rifles pistols and shotguns? If guns are only for killing and killing is wrong, then why are they armed with guns?

Old 05-27-2014, 07:37 PM

793 posts, read 1,420,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I say lie, not statement, since this has been gone over endlessly on this forum and the several different purposes for guns, made clear.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post34125102

Liberals are desperate to pretend that "guns have only one purpose", because the truth defeats their entire agenda.

If I see someone muggling a little old lady, and I point a gun at him, I'm not trying to kiill him. Yet the gun is very effective... in making hiom run away, or bette yet lie down on the sdidewalk with his hand clasped behind his head.

If a bank guard is standing beside the bank door with a gun in his belt, he is also not trying to kill anyone. But the bank is much less likely to get robbed (with the attendant threat to all the people inside and nearby) because that guard has a gun, then it would be if he didn't have a gun.

Guns' main purpose is deterrence. Not killing. They are used far more often to stop crimes, or prevent them from ever starting, than they are to commit crimes or, as lieberals are so desperate to claim, to kill.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post31137774
Well, I say 'statement' because it's nicer than 'opinion.' But as an 'argument' it doesn't even deserve a response.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
really? the Obama administration has allowed tens-of-thousands of violent illegal aliens to go free inside the United States and without deportation.
It's disgusting to me how so many people are trying to make this about mixed race, politics, or political leaning. I don't think that kid ever bothered to vote. This was an individual who was effed up in the head, he had some sort of Asperger's Syndrome, definitely had an entitlement mentality feed by his parents. This was a tragedy that could have been avoided. Anybody who tries to politicize this in order to gain supporters to their political bent should be ashamed of themselves. There are six dead people, those are sons, daughters, brothers, and sisters of someone who has to bury them in the next few days.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:42 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
As has been pointed out numerous times the NRA sabotages the background check process and refuses to allow universal background checks even though a super majority of its members support universal background checks. Oh, and, yes, mental health records should be part of a universal background check but the NRA opposes that too.

If you just put a tiny bit of thought into things you'd already know this especially since your question has already been answered a dozen times in this very thread.
The NRA sabotages the BC process? I'm not going to go much into the propose UBC legislation , other than that I oppose for a myriad of reasons. The current " Brady" system actually works quite well. However, I have personally seen quite a few people denied due to a felony record, a couple of them were actually on parole for not so twinky stuff. Saw a lot working in my friends shop, it was quite enlightening. Not one single person who was denied, even the nastier ones, ever got a visit from LE., and every incident was reported. Even walking into the shop is a violation , a CRIME. but LE could not spare any time for a criminal trying to buy a gun?
So we asked the question, what gives? The reply from local LE was that there is jurisdictional heartburn, twixt Federal, Sate and Local agencies. The SO gets the report, they boot it to the State Troopers, who boot it to NDI who boots it to ATF and on it goes. THIS is the NRAs doing? One of the clowns who tried to purchase we actually knew. We knew he had a long sheet, and he was sent packing. We , personally, called the SO deputy, now a LT, and told him. No action was taken, and this maggot had only been out for just under 6 months, up on charges for narcotics trafficking, assault and domestic violence.
So, if LE can't use the current system, that actually works, to get violent people who are trying to buy guns, out of our midst, how will add in another layer of BC, which tears up peoples privacy, even to the point I can't pass an heirloom to my son without government approval, going to work? Oh, actually, I bet they would be all over the latter type of transaction though. Easy targets, and revenue gains.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:43 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
No you didn't answer. What is their function as you say it define it please, and why does this "function" have to included being armed with guns, as in rifles pistols and shotguns? If guns are only for killing and killing is wrong, then why are they armed with guns?
Because their function is to protect the society, even if it involves killing. You didn't know that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies