Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for an openly gay/lesbian President?
YES 52 61.18%
NO 33 38.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:34 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,900 times

Advertisements

Would you elect an openly gay/lesbian for President? If he/she was an ideal candidate, had a good vision of where the nation should be heading, was well respected, and all of the other things we look for in a President, would the issue of his/her sexual orientation prevent you to vote for them?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,368,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Would you elect an openly gay/lesbian for President? If he/she was an ideal candidate, had a good vision of where the nation should be heading, was well respected, and all of the other things we look for in a President, would the issue of his/her sexual orientation prevent you to vote for them?
Since you said “openly” I understand it to mean the person is a democrat or independent.

Yes, I would vote if they had the skills, understanding of cultural differences, comprehensive understanding of foreign affairs, pragmatic in dealing with other nations, and wasn’t divisive.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,391 times
Like any other issue, it is irrelevant if the individual is competent, is knowledgeable about our country's issues (thanks to we citizens who contribute to our government by expressing concerns and offering solutions), and genuinely cares about all Americans. Unfortunately, many Americans will take offense at a gay president because they're embarrassed, "won't the rest of the world laugh?" "they'll think he's not a real man", "I don't want him representing ME", etc. As a gay individual myself, I always suspected that if a gay person found a cure for cancer, the headline would read "Gay person finds cure for cancer" as if the first thing worth identifying is the person's sexuality. Does it matter? Does it matter to the job at hand, in this case, the presidency? Not one whit.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 12-12-2007 at 11:49 PM..

3,127 posts, read 7,631,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Since you said “openly” I understand it to mean the person is a democrat or independent.

Yes, I would vote if they had the skills, understanding of cultural differences, comprehensive understanding of foreign affairs, pragmatic in dealing with other nations, and wasn’t divisive.
When I said "openly" I meant as in "out of the closet", but yes I could be referring to a democrat or independant, or even republican. Their party affiliation shouldnt matter as long as they werent in the closet. IMO being in the closet is just lieing to yourself and everyone around you. Now is that the type of person you want as President? I would feel better voting for someone, regardless of their sexual orientation, who was honest rather than someone who lied....ie, Larry Craig, Bill Clinton, and many many more.

LM1

833 posts, read 999,230 times
Personally, I wouldn't care.
If Ron Paul came out tomorrow and said he was gay, I certainly wouldn't be changing my vote. With that said, I would be *strongly* disinclined to vote for a gay-centric sort of candidate, just like I'm equally disinclined to vote for afrocentric, womancentric, faith-centric or anything-centric candidates.

People who are dedicated to securing the levers of power to benefit their own particular caste are always dangerous sorts. We've seen in in action over the past few years.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
As long as they are intelligent, well informed and innovative policies on the Economy, Healthcare, Foreign Affairs , Education etc , a decent and moral human being ... and will be a good leader and a good representative of my country abroad, of course.

What they do in their bedroom and who they find attractive has no bearing on their ability and willingness to do a good job.

Who bloody cares if they are attracted to the same sex ?

A good leader is a good leader and they are pretty rare to find so if I thought they would be good then heck yes. Bring it on.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:14 AM

640 posts, read 461,784 times
No, I wouldn't. With such poor judgment in one's personal life, I'd certainly not vote them into a public office responsible for running the country. Imagine the "girly-man" image our nation would have to endure...

Old 12-13-2007, 06:19 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,126,326 times
I could imagine Rock Hudson, one of the least girlie-men of big screen fame, as a President.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:36 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
No, I wouldn't. With such poor judgment in one's personal life, I'd certainly not vote them into a public office responsible for running the country..
I agree. Poor life choices and lack of judgment and self control does not a good leader make.

And yes, poor Rock Hudson is a good (yet sad) example of this very thing.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:46 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
I probably wouldn't. Just like one of the reasons I won't vote for Guiliani is due to his multiple marriages and lack of relationship with his children. I also disapprove of other behavior and would use it to determine who I will or won't vote for. While some people support the notion that anyone should be able to do anything, I support a traditional family and would vote for such over a homosexual, all other things being equal. That being said, if there was a phenomonal leader that was a homosexual and the only other candidate was a married man/woman who had a great marriage but he/she was a horrible leader, or had a lot of questionable attributes, I would consider it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies