Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 01:16 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Chick-Fil-A should take over all cafeteria service in U.S. schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 01:19 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Weren't you just complaining about $2 a meal a few pages back?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
So why can't he bring six bologna sandwiches on Wonderbread?
That is an excellent question, and one I have never seen the rabid "personal responsibility" crowd address. As far as I know there is no federal mandate requiring that young people eat only what is offered in the cafeteria. If a subsidized $2.00 school lunch does not meet the caloric needs of a student, he may (and should) augment it as necessary, either by purchasing a second lunch or by bringing in extra food from home.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-30-2014 at 02:36 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 01:24 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
Quote:
Yeah, because more deep fried crap is what our kids need to be eating?

Old 05-30-2014, 01:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
DC Children Avoiding Michelle Obama’s Healthy Lunches

A report by local Washington D.C. news station NBC4 indicates that over 60,000 low-income students in the metro area are skipping lunch, dissatisfied with the food offered to them by their schools.

The kids’ failure to eat is costing the schools big money, as they lose $3 in federal subsidies every time a student on free lunch forgoes taking a meal. That’s $180,000 a day, adding up to over $32 million in a school year lasting approximately 180 days. School officials say the lost subsidies are straining their budgets, as they need the money to pay for healthier food options mandated by Congress.

...students were rejecting healthier lunches because they did not enjoy the food offered. Another suggested factor was that students avoided eating a free lunch because they would be stigmatized as poor.

Well, the fact that they are not eating is combating obesity. Now malnutrition - that's a different story. I understand not wanting to give the kids total junk food and super sugary drinks - but there has to be a middle ground somewhere.

I also don't like how they tie the subsidies received to how much the students eat - making the administrators and teachers sell & push these lunches to the kids. The kids aren't buying.

----------------------------------

So I looked up the menus for DC public schools.

Menus and Nutritional Information - Elementary Schools

Look at this on successive Tuesdays for lunch for this elementary school in June. What second grader will eat this... from a school? The junk food was barely edible.

6/3
Whole Wheat Baked Ziti with Mozzarella Cheese
Local Primavera Carrots and Squash
Fresh Local Apple
Skim or 1% Milk

6/10
Whole Wheat Mac & Cheese
Local Garlic Kale
Herb Roasted Butternut Squash
Fresh Local Apple
Skim or 1% Milk

6/17
Turkey Sloppy Joe on a Whole Wheat Bun
Local Southern Cabbage
Buttered Green Peas
Fresh Local Apple
Skim or 1% Milk
My kids would have eaten most of it; they probably would have had a proble with the Kale and the Southern Cabbage, but perhaps that's a common food in DC, which is a bit southern after all.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The point is, the kids are trashing this food (waste, I guess, is okay) because they don't like it. Also, it's not high enough in carbs for most active teens--just ask those involved in sports, many of whom are back to brown-bagging it. At least they're doing that where the food Nazis aren't searching their lunches looking for contraband such as that dreaded candy bar or peanut butter sandwich.
This is an elementary school menu. Despite what you hear from RW sources, there are higher calorie levels for HS kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
Maybe they should have options. We always had more than one option when I was going to school. We would have chicken or some kind of sandwich or pizza to choose from, then the veggies or fries and fruit. That menu, ugh. The only thing I like is the ziti, the cabbage and maybe the sloppy joe. Squash? Carrots, hell to the nah. Why not have corn on the menu? Everyone loves corn.
Wow! Lucky you! We had no choice, except on Fridays, when we could choose between meat and meat-free, due to the heavy Catholic population in my area. Although not Catholic, I frequently chose the non-meat options b/c I like them.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My kids would have eaten most of it; they probably would have had a proble with the Kale and the Southern Cabbage, but perhaps that's a common food in DC, which is a bit southern after all.
Kale is a tough sell in my house. We're partial to sautéed mustard greens -- more kick! -- or garlic sautéed spinach.

Southern style cabbage

Interesting that the first comment relates that this recipe was how a mom got her kids to finally give cabbage a chance.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-30-2014 at 02:37 PM..

Old 05-30-2014, 01:36 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe in Georgetown, and K St., and Penn Ave. - not in SE or NE - not in the public schools, especially for the kids that need the free lunch.

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Yeah, because more deep fried crap is what our kids need to be eating?
Isn't actually eating lunch more important then how the food is cooked?

Quote:
It is if someone has to buy two of them just to maintain a minimum calorie intake.

$4.00 X 5 days = $20.00 X 4 weeks = $100/month.

That is a hefty chunk in the current Obama recession.

Only rich Democrats who praise Michelle's menu could afford to pay it.

Those “Evil, Rich People”
I don't know where else you'd get a high-cal lunch for under $4. Even with McDonald's dollar menu, if you want 1000 calories, you'll pay more than that for it. Drinks alone are $1 there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Don't forget the fast-good guys (at least in the past). When I was in high school, our school cafeteria sold as a lunch option - every day - taco bell, chick-fil-a, and pizza hut.

I just visited my district's website, and I'm glad to see they are no longer selling these options in the schools.
Did you go to school in Colorado? My older daughter (age 30) had those options, too, in middle school. She knew which fast-food was available on which days. Generally, she made her own lunch. Still does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies