Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Kinda like reversion to being mean?
Some people like being 1099.

There is big tax reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Some people like being 1099.

There is big tax reasons.

You are absolutely correct...it's just that the workers who are properly employees are often the ones least likely to enjoy those big tax reasons.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
You are absolutely correct...it's just that the workers who are properly employees are often the ones least likely to enjoy those big tax reasons.
Only because they fail to learn the tax codes.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Only because they fail to learn the tax codes.

Hmmm...I previously had an office job for 20 years. (I still work for this employer but now I do it remotely and am a truly a 1099 contractor.)

For the first few years, I was paid as a contractor while working at a desk in the office, as my employer had not set up a payroll.

To this day I can't think of any 'expenses' there I could have taken on a Schedule C.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:58 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
How could less jobs, no matter what they pay, possibly be a bad thing?

If they are prosperous then they are probably smart businesspeople, in which case they are not going to try to outdo anybody in overpaying for labor.
Not many people here think like you do. Most here think that you should pay a fair wage and try to lessen the wage imbalance...that's a benefit.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...I previously had an office job for 20 years. (I still work for this employer but now I do it remotely and am a truly a 1099 contractor.)

For the first few years, I was paid as a contractor while working at a desk in the office, as my employer had not set up a payroll.

To this day I can't think of any 'expenses' there I could have taken on a Schedule C.
All expenses are write offs.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
$15 is the bottom threshold. Then you have annual wage increases othewise staff become demotivated and leave. $15/hr becomes $16,$17,etc. Soon staff makes as much as managers,etc. A few years and you have quite a payroll situation which needs to be balanced by growth.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:04 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, welcome to the future. Peoples work is increasingly unnecessary. So I guess you're right-this should show those people that the argument should be about a basic income NOT a minimum wage.
That fails.....it's just clever propaganda cloaked in the stench of Liberal ideology.

You have no right nor entitlement to a specific Standard of Living.

Quote:
We cannot compete with the machines on these sorts of jobs. more and more hard working people will be displaced. Hard work is no longer enough. For at least another decade you will have to be smart too....eventually those folks will get replaced as well.
Yes, you can compete...it's called the 5th Level Economy. Liberals destroyed the education system, so you are not able to produce engineers, mathematicians and scientists --- real scientists.....not social sciences --- to move into Research & Development.

Quote:
The correlation the OP is trying to make (and failing really) is that having a minimum wage causes people to be replaced with automation. Of course thats nonsense, we're going to do it anyways....
You're wrong as usual, because you don't understand Economics and you still think everything is "Free."

Automation is not "Free" and businesses do not automate for the sake of automation.

The Three Basic Laws of Economics:

1] You must offer a product or service that is in demand; and
2] Your product or service must be of the highest possible quality relative to the Market in which you are competing; and
3] Your product or service must be offered at the most competitive price (relative to your Market).

Fail to comply with any one of the "3 Laws" and your business fails (unless you are Solyndra and your friends in government subsidize you with tax-payer money).

Your ability to offer products or services that are competitively priced in your Market is dependent almost entirely on costs (excluding Price Elasticity for the simplicity).

One major cost is Labor Cost, which is the sum of Wage Cost plus legally required benefit costs plus voluntary benefit costs.

It costs money to secure the Capital -- cash or credit -- to purchase automation. Automation also costs money over the short-term, mid-term and long-term due to down-time and maintenance costs, plus, future replacement costs.

When you learn to distinguish between Consumer Technology, and Medical/Industrial Technology, and when you learn the meaning of "Economy of Scale," then you will understand why Consumer Technology decreases in price over the long-term, while Medical and Industrial Technology increases in price.

When Labor Costs exceed the total costs of automation by some margin, then it becomes financially logical to automate.

Increasing minimum wage increases both the Wage Cost and the Labor Cost. When those costs exceed the cost of automation, then employers automate.

That's how it works....

Mircea

Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
All expenses are write offs.

What I mean is I can't think of any expenses I incurred pertaining to that work.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
What I mean is I can't think of any expenses I incurred pertaining to that work.

Did you live there....or, did you drive there or, other transportation. (plus your car costs and insurance)

Did you work in the nude???

Did you have a phone???

Think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies