Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 PM

867 posts, read 909,876 times

Advertisements

Look, I'm not a regular poster here but I'm not liberal or conservative I'm pretty moderate. In my state I am allowed to register as, "declare not to state." I'm not against minimum wage...but within reason. However, I find $15.00 a shocking minimum wage.

I just did a random Monster.com search of office jobs in Seattle that require some experience such as Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Collections, Office Clerk and the gong rate is between $12.00 -$17.00 with the 17.00 being for jobs with at least five years of experience. I mean these jobs are definitely not high skill but it's not hard to write they involve more experience then a fast food worker or a retail employee.

This isn't so much of an argument, but it's kind be at least a little bit demoralizing to know that working in office is now just about as lucrative as working fast food or retail in Seattle. In fact, did I work one of these kind of jobs in Seattle I'd pretty much quit and work retail and fast food. It's less responsibility, much easier to do, don't have to deal with office politics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Minimum wage in 1969 was $1.60, not $1.30.
That's 1971, chief.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm

3,599 posts, read 6,786,273 times
Quote:
Most youths don't.
For clarification: Most youth these days don't want to work a part time job (10-15 hours a week). They are all part of the entitlement generation...aka generation me.

Most youths these days don't understand having a part time job teaches responsibility. Whether they need to work or not is too subjective for me to comment.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its also dishonest to pick the lowest value as you just did. Kinda hypocritical you know?

Look if minimum wage had kept up with productivity it would be over $20. If it had matched the initial wage it would be $4.60, and if it had met the highest value it has ever been it would be $10.60, a good compromise really is $10.10...implemented immediately and pegged to CPI.
FF is service. Productivity is associated with mfg jobs..any job that PRODUCES a product.
Service is historically a low paying job..always was and always will be due to no need for skills.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:31 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its also dishonest to pick the lowest value as you just did. Kinda hypocritical you know?

Look if minimum wage had kept up with productivity it would be over $20. If it had matched the initial wage it would be $4.60, and if it had met the highest value it has ever been it would be $10.60, a good compromise really is $10.10...implemented immediately and pegged to CPI.
There is no good compromise. Raising the minimum wage is going to result in exactly the same thing it has always resulted in; a higher minimum wage which still doesn't allow the people making it to afford the exact same things that they can't afford now. Prices will go up, not merely because of the increased cost of labor but because companies will adjust their pricing to the new median wage which will be much higher once the labor market repairs the damage done by government interference. This is what has happened every time that the minimum wage has been raised, and it will happen again. Tying the minimum wage to the CPI will merely result in a vicious cycle where wages and prices adjust themselves more frequently than they do now. It's a no-win situation, and a distraction from more important issues.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
Quote:
Not really, more youth have more things to focus on with schooling than just working a minimum wage job. Also, a number of jobs that use to be available for youths have been taken over by technology.
So you come up with a most brilliant idea of making those employees cost even more. I mean if they're being replaced by automation why not pay the people left higher wages?

Really? That makes sense to you?

Old 06-02-2014, 07:35 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
I am actually happy they raised minimum wage... We can speculate about everything... Now we have something to actually examine... I don't want to hear excuses and any backtracking will be an admission of failure... Curious to see what happens to liberal plans....

Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
Hipster paradise is becoming as trendy as SF, they will need that 15 and more!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
False, read the bottom, the minimum wage was $1.60, there were technicalities where the minimum wage was lower for some professions. It wasn't until 1978 that minimum wage became standard.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
FF is service. Productivity is associated with mfg jobs..any job that PRODUCES a product.
Service is historically a low paying job..always was and always will be due to no need for skills.
fast food productivity is massively higher. Seriously. Food also a LOT worse, but maybe thats just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies