Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Stupidity? He was high? He liked to fight? Robbery?

All of these things are proven facts about Trayvon, pick one.
In other words you have no ****ing idea and so are just throwing stuff out.

Martin was going home to watch the game. You expect us to buy this story that for some unexplained reason he suddenly changed his mind and said hey I think I'll go fight instead, or go rob somebody?

None of those are motives anyway. A motive needs to explain why he did it in that specific situation

Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What part of "stand your ground was not part of the defense" do you not understand?
I will reply to you because this other guy does not want to have a rational conversation.

You said that stand your ground is NOT a part of the Florida self defense law. I proved it actually IS. Which means it WAS considered by the jury, as per the jury INSTRUCTIONS. It does not matter if the defense did not bring it up, the judge INSTRUCTED them to take their decisions according to the law, which IS stand your ground.

Juror said the panel that found George Zimmerman not guilty considered Florida’s Stand Your Ground law in its deliberations

Last edited by Sorel36; 06-13-2014 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: wrote state law instead of self defense law

Old 06-13-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
He was pissed off about being profiled as a criminal is my theory.
Pounding somebody's head on the concrete pavement is kind of a violent reaction for just being pissed off, I think there was more to it, like maybe fearing for his life. If he was just pissed off I think it would have probably been just like a punch to the face or maybe a kick to the balls

Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
No, he did not deserve to die, and wouldn't if he hadn't assaulted someone.

He did, and he was killed in self defense.

These are the facts of the case - can you not handle the truth?
Why did he attack? How do you know he wasn't defending himself when he attacked?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
I will reply to you because this other guy does not want to have a rational conversation.

You said that stand your ground is NOT a part of the Florida state law. I proved it actually IS. Which means it WAS considered by the jury, as per the jury INSTRUCTIONS. It does not matter if the defense did not bring it up, the judge INSTRUCTED them to take their decisions according to the law, which IS stand your ground.

Juror said the panel that found George Zimmerman not guilty considered Florida’s Stand Your Ground law in its deliberations
No.

Harrier did not say that Stand Your Ground was not part of Florida State Law, he said that it was not part of the defense offered by Zimmerman and his attorney.

You are the one who falsely said that self defense and stand your ground are equivalent.

Quote:
Now if you want to get technical about the law, the self defense statute in Florida IS stand your ground.

The judge did instruct the jury to make decisions according to the law, but did not specify the stand your ground statute, which is separate from the self defense statute.

It doesn't matter what the jury considered during deliberations - they can discuss anything they want, so long as they don't commit jury misconduct (695 F2d 207 Beverly Hills Fire Litigation Kiser v. Bryant Electric | OpenJurist).

Old 06-13-2014, 09:19 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
The stand your ground hearing was waved because O'Mara pursued a pure self defense strategy, and he won.
O'Mara didn't pursue the stand your ground defense because he would have to PROVE that's what it was. I forget now exactly what the circumstances are that have to be proved, but he didn't think he could do it and win.

From what I do remember, a stand your ground defense calls for different evidence from a self defense case.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:22 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Selling a book will not bring him financial gains ?
As I recall, Good owned some kind of security consulting business, and offered to do "consulting work" for either the defense or the prosecutor, but was turned down.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
O'Mara didn't pursue the stand your ground defense because he would have to PROVE that's what it was. I forget now exactly what the circumstances are that have to be proved, but he didn't think he could do it and win.

From what I do remember, a stand your ground defense calls for different evidence from a self defense case.
The reasons for O'Mara's legal strategy are irrelevant - he is a trained lawyer, and he knew what he was doing.

Obviously, stand your ground did not apply in this incident.

What did apply was self defense,

That is the defense that O'Mara presented, and he was successful in obtaining a not guilty verdict for his client.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:24 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Why did he attack? How do you know he wasn't defending himself when he attacked?
Just because a maglux flashlight shining directly in your eyes can cause retinal damage doesn't mean you have to get all pissed off about it.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,948 times
Quote:
No.

Harrier did not say that Stand Your Ground was not part of Florida State Law, he said that it was not part of the defense offered by Zimmerman and his attorney.

You are the one who falsely said that self defense and stand your ground are equivalent.
You did not say it was not a part of the State law, you said it was not a part of the self defense statute. But it is.

Quote:
Now if you want to get technical about the law, the self defense statute in Florida IS stand your ground.
Quote:
No, it isn't.

A specific defense of "stand your ground" has to be entered for such a claim to be made.

Zimmerman pled not guilty by reason of self defense.

Educate yourself about Florida state law, rather than embarrass yourself by making ignorant statements.
I then posted the link to the statute where you can read the stand your ground law because it is a part of it. That's why the judge cited stand your ground in the jury instructions, as I proved earlier.

Quote:
The judge did instruct the jury to make decisions according to the law, but did not specify the stand your ground statute, which is separate from the self defense statute.
Judge Nelson did specify the stand your ground law, as (again, and I have posted numerous official links who prove it) the stand your ground law is a part of Florida self defense statute.

Quote:
If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground
Here is the full transcript :

http://www.flcourts18.org/PDF/Press_...structions.pdf

Here is the full self defense statute, which includes stand your ground :

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies