Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,663,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Trayvon very much did commit a crime by physically assaulting another person. Should it have lead to his death? No, I don't think fighting with someone should earn you a death sentence but Zimmerman didn't shoot Trayvon to kill him, he shot him to protect/defend his own life, hence the self defense claim.
Semantics. If you were in fear for your life, I'm sure you would assault someone to try to preserve your life. Or would you just give in and let someone kill you? It's obvious that Zimmerman initiated this whole thing. If he hadn't have followed Martin, none of this would have happened.

And why did Zimmerman follow Martin again?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
This case didn't have anything to do with race until other people made it about race thinking it would affect the outcome in their favor. I didn't side with Zimmerman because Trayvon Martin was black, I sided with a person who legally carried and used a firearm against an attacker.
Again, the stuff of fantasy. It had everything to do with race from the very beginning.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Well let us play a little what if. Say Martin grabbed the pistol and killed Zimmerman. I would think in the end he would end up in the same place as Zimmerman did. Martin probably had a better self defense than did Zimmerman.

But do you think he would have been let go that night? If you do I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.

So I would think race is buried in the affair...inextricably.
For sure. It's obvious. If Martin had done to Zimmerman what Zimmerman did to Martin, he never would have been let out of custody, and he'd be doing time for murder right now.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:50 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
How many times should he have allowed his head to be smashed on the sidewalk?
Well.. since he targeted Trayvon simply for the fact that he was black....he should have just let the teen continue banging his head bloody against the concrete until he died and/or passed out and just took his licks that way.... He didn't have to shoot the kid!

so says the deep left wing liberal...

Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
How many times should he have allowed his head to be smashed on the sidewalk?
Martin's dead body was found laying on the soft wet grass a significant distance from the sidewalk, with Zimmerman's MagLux flashlight next to him.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:03 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,546,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Again, the stuff of fantasy. It had everything to do with race from the very beginning.
Even if Zimmerman weren't a racist, it certainly became about race when the right, his defense team, and to a major extent the police chief, began baselessly tossing around racial stereotypes

Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Even if Zimmerman weren't a racist, it certainly became about race when the right, his defense team, and to a major extent the police chief, began baselessly tossing around racial stereotypes
What racial stereotype did the defense team throw around?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:15 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
The liberal decibel of yelling racism knows no distance...I think we all realize that this issue brought out some of the worst proponents from both sides after the fact...

But what I think people are alluding to...is that in the moment, when Zimmerman identified Trayvon as a possible criminal in his neighborhood....it is unproven that "race" was a factor. Any presumptions that it was, is based purely on the different races of the participants. But there was no reason to think that "racism" instigated this conflict, other than the fact that Trayvon was black and Zimmerman was not.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:33 PM

9,142 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Martin's dead body was found laying on the soft wet grass a significant distance from the sidewalk, with Zimmerman's MagLux flashlight next to him.

So what? Did the soft wet grass cause Zimmie's head injury?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
CNN said it best.

Zimmerman is like OJ, people were for him for ideological reasons, but over the years that support will fade and looking back, people will wonder why anyone supported him.

1 year later we know the police have been called on him multiple times while he threatened his potential father and law and fiance with weapons.
I'd like to see a video of that. I do not believe someone on CNN said that. It sounds more like MSNBC.

Every single person I talked with about this supported George's decision to defend himself. It's highly unlikely any of them have changed their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies