Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 04:25 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times

Advertisements

§ 3301. Definition of records

As used in this chapter, “records” includes all books, papers, maps, photographs, machine readable materials, or other documentary materials, regardless of physical form or characteristics, made or received by an agency of the United States Government under Federal law or in connection with the transaction of public business and preserved or appropriate for preservation by that agency or its legitimate successor as evidence of the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations, or other activities of the Government or because of the informational value of data in them. Library and museum material made or acquired and preserved solely for reference or exhibition purposes, extra copies of documents preserved only for convenience of reference, and stocks of publications and of processed documents are not included.

Disposal of Records

Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
I just read the article and WOW! She created a massive quantity of emails. Into the tens of thousands! Amazing.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 PM

"Records" is not a statutorily defined term in FOIA. In fact it appears that the only definition of this term in the U.S. Code is that in the Federal Records Act. 44 U.S.C. § 3301. This definition is intended, however, only to define those categories of materials "made or received by an agency of the United States Government . . ." which must be preserved except as authorized by the Archivist. As used in FOIA, the term generally includes everything mentioned in this definition. But the Federal Records Act was passed for records management purposes, while FOIA was passed to strengthen the public's right to know. It seems clear that for FOIA purposes, "records" includes all tangible recordations of information regardless of whether they are records under 44 U.S.C. § 3301.

FOIA Update: FOIA Counselor: What is an "Agency Record?"

Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes, emails are stored on servers. Then they have RAID servers that duplicate the server for backup. Do we really believe that government wouldn't have a backup system in place. To claim otherwise is admitting total incompetence but believe me, they have a backup system.
Uh, the Bush White House lost tens of thousands of e-mails. Funny, I don't recall a single Republican being the least bit concerned. Funny how that works.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:38 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Let me just state the obvious for anyone who believes this. Emails are not stored on your computer. They are stored on servers. Servers that are back up and backed up and backed up. Do they really think we are just stupid and are going to believe this?! What they said is impossible.

This is watergate folks. Cover up. You do not lose emails due to computer crash, end of story.

IRS: Those Lois Lerner emails you wanted? Yeah, her computer crashed, so… « Hot Air
Actually all business and government email are supposed to be backed up and stored all their emails for a certain # of years.

http://arcmail.com/wp-content/themes...cyWP_Final.pdf

Lots of information in that PDF.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
There is no way they dont have back up systems. And they would not be searching her pc for emails anyways. What happens on her pc is meaningless when servers exist. If my crappy company I work for has managed to not lose me 10000 plus emails in 7 years, there is zero chance the IRS did.

I swear to .... I want to see one liberal come here and claim they believe this. This scandal just got bigger. People need to be going to prison.
I share your frustration, but can we drop the liberal vs. conservative tags? We'ere Americans first.

United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

What we need to do is get the best and brightest from all sides coming together.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM

2,903 posts, read 3,459,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
When a republican did this he resigned.
Really? Which Republican president might that be? Since the only two Republicans to have "served" in the Internet era are the Bush bobbleheads, it must be George W Bush you're referring to.

Huh. His White House deleted MILLIONS:

In 2009, it was announced that as many as 22 million emails may have been deleted.

And what did we hear from Republicans? ~crickets~ Seems to me an objective person would wonder if this isn't just more in a series of cheap politics and partisan hypocrisy.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
Really? Which Republican president might that be? Since the only two Republicans to have "served" in the Internet era are the Bush bobbleheads, it must be George W Bush you're referring to.

Huh. His White House deleted MILLIONS:

In 2009, it was announced that as many as 22 million emails may have been deleted.

And what did we hear from Republicans? ~crickets~ Seems to me an objective person would wonder if this isn't just more in a series of cheap politics and partisan hypocrisy.

Quote:
- The National Security Council (NSC) staff at the White House acquires a
prototype electronic mail system, from IBM, called the Professional Office
System (PROFs).

April 1985
- The PROFs e-mail system becomes fully operational within the NSC, including
not only the full staff, but also home terminals for the National Security
Adviser, Robert "Bud" McFarlane, and his deputy, Admiral John M. Poindexter.

November 1986
- The remainder of the White House comes on line with electronic mail, at
first with the PROFs system, and later (by the end of the 1980s) through a
variety of systems including VAX A-1 ("All in One"), and ccmail.
National Security Archive/White House E-Mail

Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Let me just state the obvious for anyone who believes this. Emails are not stored on your computer. They are stored on servers. Servers that are back up and backed up and backed up. Do they really think we are just stupid and are going to believe this?! What they said is impossible.

This is watergate folks. Cover up. You do not lose emails due to computer crash, end of story.

IRS: Those Lois Lerner emails you wanted? Yeah, her computer crashed, so… « Hot Air
Yes, it is possible. The IRS reused its tapes/disc-to-disc every six months, meaning the back-ups expired. Anything Ms. Lerner wanted to archive beyond six months had to copied into her local PST file. If her desktop crapped out, the e-mails were gone. This system and policy is not atypical in either the government or business worlds. Storing back-ups at Iron Mountain is shockingly expensive, and in the midst of sequestration and other budgetary constraints, we really should not be at all surprised at this development. Here's a example from a multi-national company whose name you would recognize: thirty days for everything, including intellectual property -- yes, everything -- and there are no PC back-ups. You want it archived? You personally put it on a file server.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,363,025 times
She's a scumbag and the left sucks.
End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies