Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,282,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If I had a million in the bank, I wouldn't need to work another day in my life at this stage. This I know because I've done the math. Admittedly, I'd still keep working, but I wouldn't need to.

A million isn't much money anymore? Ok...well since you're a millionaire, give me a million and see how I work it.
You would still need to work whether you wanted to or not unless you could somehow live on $20K or are already close to SS age. I agree with Driller, a million isn't alot and if you were retirement age today you would still need more than a million. You are making it sound like the million dollar mark is some incredibly high metric.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,473,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Conservatives spent years predicting Obamacare would collapse in all manner of gloomy scenarios. But those predictions all occurred in the run-up to the law coming on-line, on the basis of sketchy, preliminary data or pure conjecture. But in the months since the law has come into effect, a steady stream of far more solid data has come in, and the doomsaying predictions are being hunted to extinction. The right’s ideological objections to Obamacare remain, but I can’t think of a single practical analytic claim they made that still looks correct."

Republicans Finally Admit Why They Hate the ACA -- NYMag

Good article that shows that all the rightwing talking points about the ACA have proven to be untrue.
Uh, no it doesn't. It only addresses specific talking points that they have answers to and claims there are no more practical objections to it.

Where is their answer to objections over religious organizations being forced to provide birth control? Where is their answer to the objections over medicare funds being diverted to Obamacare? Where is their answer to objections over the lack of training and background checks of Obamacare advisors? Where is their answer to objections over the provisions in Obamacare for the government to use taxpayer money cover potential losses suffered by insurance companies? Where is their answer to objections over doctor shortages and waiting times when the rolls of the insured swell by millions? Where is their answer to objections over doctors refusing to accept Obamacare insurance the way doctors already refuse to accept medicare and medicaid? Where is their answer to the Independent Payment Advisory Board's authority to ration healthcare? Where is their answer to objections over frontloading the 10 year projected cost of Obamacare by including a full 10 years of funding but only 6 years of services? Where is their answer to the objections about the medical devices tax deterring hospitals from modernizing their equipment?

What this article does is say "I'm going to address the reasons you don't like Obamacare. Here's #1 from source A, #2 from source B, and #3 from source C. Okay, done. Looks like there are no practical objections to Obamacare"

The term for that is "cherry picking" or the "fallacy of incomplete evidence" and it's obvious intellectual dishonesty.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,470,688 times
No way would most people be able to comfortably retire on a million unless everything was paid off and they have really low COL.

Just property taxes cost me $12k a year and they are not going down.
Health insurance costs me $15k a year.
Then there is college for the kids, etc.

Maybe if you are 60, a mil could do it.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
That's all? In June?

LOL..I wouldn't be caught dead in a place that only clocks °73 in June.

Have a nice (and cold) life.
You're crazy, 73° is perfect weather. It's about that in Chicago too.

Quote:
That's a totally different topic. We're not talking about life as a financial planner.

And the reality is that most people DON'T invest that same $271...so there's no need to go into that.

The issue here is folks using this thread as an opportunity to tell us how rich they are. And of course, I ain't buying it.
You're forgetting that some of these people are already in their 40's or 50's and lived through the longest bull market the US ever had.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,223,938 times
Quote:
That's a totally different topic. We're not talking about life as a financial planner.

And the reality is that most people DON'T invest that same $271...so there's no need to go into that.

The issue here is folks using this thread as an opportunity to tell us how rich they are. And of course, I ain't buying it.
That's the problem. How aren't you buying it, when anyone can spend $50/mo more than they spend on TV and the internet and become a millionaire?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:01 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,911,322 times
Has anyone visited an ER lately?

You will be asked question you haven't in the past. They will ask about all drug use, whether or not you have urges to harm yourself or others and whether or not you have access to firearms.

I told the nurse to quit asking me ACA questions. She seemed puzzled and told me she wasn't - I told her not to ask me any questions for other than the reason I was there.

Obamacare is just another means of CONTROL. The FDA controls our food sources and medications, the EPA controls our environment, the NRC controls nuclear policy, including power plants and the federal reserve controls our money. The litany of federal police forces control air travel and like to put up traffic stops for various reasons, usually under the guise of DUI or immigration checkpoints.

Government has intruded itself too far into our private lives and needs to butt out - Obamacare is one of the major programs that need to go away, no matter how successful its fans claim it to be.

Why aren't the Obamas enrolled in the program? Are the elite exempt?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Has anyone visited an ER lately?

You will be asked question you haven't in the past. They will ask about all drug use, whether or not you have urges to harm yourself or others and whether or not you have access to firearms.

I told the nurse to quit asking me ACA questions. She seemed puzzled and told me she wasn't - I told her not to ask me any questions for other than the reason I was there.

Obamacare is just another means of CONTROL. The FDA controls our food sources and medications, the EPA controls our environment, the NRC controls nuclear policy, including power plants and the federal reserve controls our money. The litany of federal police forces control air travel and like to put up traffic stops for various reasons, usually under the guise of DUI or immigration checkpoints.

Government has intruded itself too far into our private lives and needs to butt out - Obamacare is one of the major programs that need to go away, no matter how successful its fans claim it to be.

Why aren't the Obamas enrolled in the program? Are the elite exempt?
What program? Do you think the ACA is a medical program like Medicare? It's not.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:05 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,791,335 times
Read that New York mag. So much mis representations. Not sure where to began.

1. They quote the kaiser study that almost 60% were previously uninsured who singed up for the exchanges. Yet the Kaiser questionnaire
"Before you began coverage under your current health insurance plan, were you covered by a different plan you purchased yourself, were you covered by an employer, by COBRA, did you have Medicaid or other public coverage, or were you uninsured?"

So count me as one of the "newly insured!" I switched insurers and had no insurance for one day! Thanks ACA.

2. The other pointed out that premiums aren't expensive. They point to the HHS article that consumers on exchanges paying $86 a month. Yet fail to include the real premiums are $346 a person a month which represents a 50% plus premium increase.

I can go on and on.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:06 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,613,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If you saved $271/mo starting at the age of 21, you would be a millionaire in retirement. Given the average person pays around $220/mo for their cable, internet and cell phone plans yes, I would think most people can afford saving an amount that small.
That seems like a really high estimate for cable/inter/phone bills. And the sad reality is that as small as that figure sounds, most people can't afford to save it (this would represent a savings rate of around 14% for most people). Not with car payments/housing/phone bills/food/student loans/etc.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,223,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
That seems like a really high estimate for cable/inter/phone bills. And the sad reality is that as small as that figure sounds, most people can't afford to save it (this would represent a savings rate of around 14% for most people). Not with car payments/housing/phone bills/food/student loans/etc.
That is the national average right now in this country (as sad as THAT is).

$140-ish for cable/internet, $80 for smartphone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.