Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 12:14 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
That seems like a really high estimate for cable/inter/phone bills. And the sad reality is that as small as that figure sounds, most people can't afford to save it (this would represent a savings rate of around 14% for most people). Not with car payments/housing/phone bills/food/student loans/etc.
I think you mean most people choose not to save it.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Conservatives spent years predicting Obamacare would collapse in all manner of gloomy scenarios. But those predictions all occurred in the run-up to the law coming on-line, on the basis of sketchy, preliminary data or pure conjecture. But in the months since the law has come into effect, a steady stream of far more solid data has come in, and the doomsaying predictions are being hunted to extinction. The right’s ideological objections to Obamacare remain, but I can’t think of a single practical analytic claim they made that still looks correct."

Republicans Finally Admit Why They Hate the ACA -- NYMag

Good article that shows that all the rightwing talking points about the ACA have proven to be untrue.
What have conservatives gotten right recently?

They were disastrously wrong about Iraq, wrong about the War on terror and the Patriot and homeland security and GITMO, and torture, and spying, and drone strikes, and the financial crisis, and unregulated markets, wrong about the Bush tax cuts impact on the budget and the economy, the Stimulus, the Auto bailouts, and their embarrassing predictions about the 2012 presidential elections, and now the ACA.

conservatives are nearly incapable of acknowledging reality that goes against their ideological bromides.

This is why discussion with conservatives on policy is worthless because facts are 100% irrelevant to conservatives.

Everything I listed that conservatives were wrong about is not a matter of opinion but historical fact easily provable by objective facts, yet in conservativeland they gotten nothing wrong, have nothing to rethink.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Michigan isn't cold and miserable only in the winter. You know that.

Do some traveling.

Michigan is hotter than than hell in the summer.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:43 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think you mean most people choose not to save it.
They choose to heat their home and feed their kids instead of saving for retirement, yes.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:46 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What have conservatives gotten right recently?

They were disastrously wrong about Iraq, wrong about the War on terror and the Patriot and homeland security and GITMO, and torture, and spying, and drone strikes, and the financial crisis, and unregulated markets, wrong about the Bush tax cuts impact on the budget and the economy, the Stimulus, the Auto bailouts, and their embarrassing predictions about the 2012 presidential elections, and now the ACA.

conservatives are nearly incapable of acknowledging reality that goes against their ideological bromides.

This is why discussion with conservatives on policy is worthless because facts are 100% irrelevant to conservatives.

Everything I listed that conservatives were wrong about is not a matter of opinion but historical fact easily provable by objective facts, yet in conservativeland they gotten nothing wrong, have nothing to rethink.
You need to revisit history.

Last time I checked it was Clinton's fault for letting Bin Landen run free and plan the 9/11 terror attacks. Remember Bush was barely President when 9/11 happen.

Financial crisis: Last I check Barney Frank and his buddies were responsible for Fannie and Freddie's problems. Without Fannie/Freddie, Wall street wouldn't have found taxpayer money to play with because they knew Freddie/Fannie would buy up all the junk.

If Bush cuts were so bad, why were the lowest tax bracket the ones who benefited the most as a percentage of their income? And if Bush cuts were so bad, why did Obama keep them for the as he likes to term it "vast majority" of Americans? Just get rid of the Bush tax cuts altogether and get more revenue...oh wait, Obama needs to keep the Democratic votes by keeping the Bush tax cuts for the vast majority.

Auto Bailouts/Stimulus...Check who signed off on the those....I think President number 44 signed off on them.

ACA is in its early stages, let's history decide.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
You need to revisit history.

Last time I checked it was Clinton's fault for letting Bin Landen run free and plan the 9/11 terror attacks. Remember Bush was barely President when 9/11 happen.

Financial crisis: Last I check Barney Frank and his buddies were responsible for Fannie and Freddie's problems. Without Fannie/Freddie, Wall street wouldn't have found taxpayer money to play with because they knew Freddie/Fannie would buy up all the junk.

If Bush cuts were so bad, why were the lowest tax bracket the ones who benefited the most as a percentage of their income? And if Bush cuts were so bad, why did Obama keep them for the as he likes to term it "vast majority" of Americans? Just get rid of the Bush tax cuts altogether and get more revenue...oh wait, Obama needs to keep the Democratic votes by keeping the Bush tax cuts for the vast majority.

Auto Bailouts/Stimulus...Check who signed off on the those....I think President number 44 signed off on them.

ACA is in its early stages, let's history decide.
SMH utter fantasyland

Old 06-23-2014, 01:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Has anyone visited an ER lately?

You will be asked question you haven't in the past. They will ask about all drug use, whether or not you have urges to harm yourself or others and whether or not you have access to firearms.

I told the nurse to quit asking me ACA questions. She seemed puzzled and told me she wasn't - I told her not to ask me any questions for other than the reason I was there.

Obamacare is just another means of CONTROL. The FDA controls our food sources and medications, the EPA controls our environment, the NRC controls nuclear policy, including power plants and the federal reserve controls our money. The litany of federal police forces control air travel and like to put up traffic stops for various reasons, usually under the guise of DUI or immigration checkpoints.

Government has intruded itself too far into our private lives and needs to butt out - Obamacare is one of the major programs that need to go away, no matter how successful its fans claim it to be.

Why aren't the Obamas enrolled in the program? Are the elite exempt?
I have worked in one for more than a decade.
Those are not new questions. Sheesh.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:52 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,785,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
SMH utter fantasyland
What fantasy land? Check your facts.

In a recent meeting with the Council on Foreign Relations, Barney Frank–the chair of the House Financial Services Committee and a longtime supporter of Fannie and Freddie–admitted that it had been a mistake to force homeownership on people who could not afford it. Renting, he said, would have been preferable. Now he tells us.

A Government-Mandated Housing Bubble - Forbes

Obama signs stimulus bill
Obama signs stimulus into law - politics - White House | NBC News

Bill Clinton letting Bin Laden roam free

A Democratic member of the 9/11 commission says there was a larger issue: The Clinton administration treated bin Laden as a law enforcement problem.

Osama bin Laden: missed opportunities - NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams | NBC News

Mind you 2 of the 3 articles are nbcnews (when they were still in joint partnership with liberal leaning MSNBC) as well.

So tell me again how Republicans were responsible for the financial crash and bin laden single handed killing 3000 Americans?

Bush tax cuts favored the poor
http://allfinancialmatters.com/2008/...avor-the-poor/

You see the thing where Dems face a catch 22 is they say the rich don't pay enough taxes (as a percentage of their income). Yet when the poor get a bigger tax break as a percentage of their income...its ok? Get it? Get the hypocrisy.

Than the argument is that the Bush tax cuts favored the rich because they saved more in raw money. If that's true, than the Rich paying the vast majority of all tax revenue collected should also be considered.

You can't have it both ways.

Either you use the percentage argument or the raw numbers argument.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJJ5_s9I9pE

Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Conservatives spent years predicting Obamacare would collapse in all manner of gloomy scenarios. But those predictions all occurred in the run-up to the law coming on-line, on the basis of sketchy, preliminary data or pure conjecture. But in the months since the law has come into effect, a steady stream of far more solid data has come in, and the doomsaying predictions are being hunted to extinction. The right’s ideological objections to Obamacare remain, but I can’t think of a single practical analytic claim they made that still looks correct."

Republicans Finally Admit Why They Hate the ACA -- NYMag

Good article that shows that all the rightwing talking points about the ACA have proven to be untrue.
The writer is defiantly very liberal.look up his articles.

NO CREDIBILITY as an un-biased "journalist"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies