Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
This is what happens when you think with your emotions instead of with your brain.

If we didn't have a bloated military we could have universal healthcare, paid time off, and universal day care. Okay, that sounds compassionate and moral and wonderful and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

Now, the brain. Defense spending is 18% of the budget. Social security and medicare/medicaid is 48%. Oh well, the warm fuzzy feeling was nice while it lasted.

When you're ready to come back to reality, you will see that if you cut the defense budget by half you can still only increase social spending by a fifth. Sorry to inform you that the whole "give to the poor instead of buying more guns" thing is just rhetoric. The money is not, in fact, there. It's only there in liberal fantasies. It's fantasy designed to drum up votes. It can't happen. It's exactly like whole "make the rich pay their fair share" stuff. The rich are already paying 70% of the income taxes, and even if you took all the money that the top 1% own, it wouldn't be enough to run the government for a week. The combined net work of the top 1% is less than the government's weekly budget. After that week is over, then what?

What we need for our problems are real solutions, not compassionate rhetoric. The rhetoric brings in the votes but it doesn't solve the problems. That's how you get half a century of the "Great Society" and the "War on Poverty" without it accomplishing anything whatsoever. It's feel-good platitudes, not reality.
The problem with the "War on Poverty" is it is a rather all or nothing situation. For an individual with no kids, you make about 11K a year you get nothing except medicaid IF your state expanded medicaid through Obamacare. So pretty much, you make up to a point and you get subsidies and then poof they are gone in the next rather than slowly reducing them like Obamacare's subsidized health plans.

The other problem with asking for cuts is where do you make the cuts. It's easy to point to the 48% for SS, medicare, medicaid but that is combining where there are specific payroll taxes for them (which I'll admit is a shortfall as it stands) but how do we cut it? If your brother is someone struggling to keep his family fed (due to a lowering paying job) and his wife (your sister-in-law) can't find work, you are asking for them to potentially end up underwater and need you to handout money to them to bail them out.

I am not a liberal nor am I conservative because I think with my head as much as my heart. The issue is balance sheet wise it may make sense but the country IS NOT a business and it shouldn't be run as such despite what TEA Partiers and other far right conservatives think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
I saw a bumper sticker today:

Can't feed 'em? Don't breed 'em.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:17 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,709,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Lots of people I know have lots of children but make very little money. When I asked them why they had so many children when neither the mother or father made much money, they basically told me that money and income should not be a consideration when deciding how large your family is. They say children are a gift from God and if the children are born everyone should welcome them to the world and society will help support them. They believe that even though they are poor financially they have just as much right to bring lots of babies into the world as someone who is rich.

If you are parents would you agree that society (taxpayers) have a obligation to help bring up your children because our country needs a younger generation from all kinds of people (rich and poor)? Would your financial situation impact your decision to have a larger family? In other words, should only rich parents be able to have a very large family?

(* The other side would say that it is wrong to have babies if they know the taxpayer is going to support them)
In this society, you have to be pretty well off to afford kids. Its amazing that taxpayers who choose to NOT have kids have to support other people's kids. Its a screwed up society for sure.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
Lots of people I know have lots of children but make very little money. When I asked them why they had so many children when neither the mother or father made much money, they basically told me that money and income should not be a consideration when deciding how large your family is. They say children are a gift from God and if the children are born everyone should welcome them to the world and society will help support them. They believe that even though they are poor financially they have just as much right to bring lots of babies into the world as someone who is rich.

If you are parents would you agree that society (taxpayers) have a obligation to help bring up your children because our country needs a younger generation from all kinds of people (rich and poor)? Would your financial situation impact your decision to have a larger family? In other words, should only rich parents be able to have a very large family?

(* The other side would say that it is wrong to have babies if they know the taxpayer is going to support them)
Yes to me it is wrong to have kids if you don't have the money to take care of them...! Irresponsible behavior. It is not a luxury item or property that you want. Having kids is something that should not be seen like a selfie and just wanting to have it...it is about being able to care for them and try to give them a better life than you had your self or at least similar but if you don't have money that to me it is selfish to share poor with a child instead of better your living conditions and making sure you are able to pay for what a child's basic needs are than start having a child.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:50 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
Quote:

it is morally wrong to have lots of kids and ask other people to support them.

if you can support that many kids more power to you.
but you better not beg for hand outs and tax deductions.

imo tax deductions for kids should be limited to 2-3 children anymore = NO.
also welfare limitation of 2-3 children anymore = you support them.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post

IMO, bringing kids into the world even if one can afford them one should keep in mind our population growth and our limited resources to sustain a given population.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:28 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
One would have to look extensively into every case and judge them individually like that. And of course you have to establish values. Are we valuing life over economy to the fullest extent? If so, even a parent who has kids they can and do take care of without anyone else's help, will be doing the immoral thing if that child happens to become a serial killer. Conversely, a parent who relies on government assistance for the entire length of the kid's childhood can make it up to people by seeing to it that that child becomes a doctor and saves lives in turn.

However, I would think the odds of the latter happening are slim. I could just be succumbing to stereotypes here, but most parents I know who rely on government assistance on the regular, are not motivating their children to be awesome - many of them struggle to motivate their kids to turn out okay, IME.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Not sure if it's morally wrong, but it sure is stupid.
How is that stupid when they are using our money to raise their kids? That's super smart in my opinion!

Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post

So you want to starve those babies to death? I have never seen anything worse than that!!!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:04 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Yes!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies