Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 05:24 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Have you noticed that the Tea Party has won MANY elections? Including last month in VA? Crawl out from under your rock and take a look around.
Wow, so they won one election out of how many this cycle? Last time I checked, the tea party didn't give that guy much support at all. In fact, he barely campaigned at all, which shows how much he expected to win. I would say that was more a repudiation of Eric Cantor than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 05:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,335,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
That's why in moderate states where you put up extreme conservatives on the ticket you all do so well, right? The reality is beyond the most conservative states in the country the tea party doesn't have much appeal and never will. You don't win national elections on extremism but on moderation. If you can't understand that than you have little understanding of politics.
Have you noticed any Tea Party wins since our inception? The last one in moderate VA? You don't know what are you talking about!

Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
How do you invalidate anyone's specific vote? It's a secret ballot. The law is essentially pointless. Voters can vote for whoever they want in the general election.
It'll be pretty obvious what happened if the November vote totals are off by tens of thousands of votes. Analyzing voter turnout and totals for both the Democrat and Republican primaries, and then for the November election will pinpoint any illegal actions.

Frankly, I think the Cochran campaign has opened itself to a class action suit if they didn't inform Black Democrat voters that according to Mississippi state law, if they vote for Cochran in the primary they lose their right to vote for the Democrat candidate in November. At the very least, this is such a severe ethics violation that Cochran really should be disqualified.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:27 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Those same republicans crying foul, will be right at the ballot box come november putting him back into office.
I'm not so sure. conservatives have principles, they are not blind partisan hacks. If cohran is acting like a democrat now, why worry that another democrat might win his seat?

What do you think was going on during the Bush administration? Conservatives were kicking the corrupt, corporatist RINOs to the curb by refusing to reelect them, and this allowed the dems took the senate and the house. Many of them sat home and refused to vote for Romney too, and 0bama won.

This is not just people having a disagreement with Cochran on policy matters, Cochran lied his ass off, he called these conservative voters racists. He made it very personal.

Quote:
Those same republicans crying foul, will be right at the ballot box come november putting him back into office.
No Not this time. The RINOs have overplayed their hand. Some conservatives may sit out, some may vote democrat, some may write in. But Cochran is out.

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Have you noticed any Tea Party wins since our inception? The last one in moderate VA? You don't know what are you talking about!
I notice Lindsey Graham won renomination in a statewide vote in South Carolina.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I notice Lindsey Graham won renomination in a statewide vote in South Carolina.
No one said it is easy to oust an incumbent. Did you know that?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:34 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It'll be pretty obvious what happened if the November vote totals are off by tens of thousands of votes. Analyzing voter turnout and totals for both the Democrat and Republican primaries, and then for the November election will pinpoint any illegal actions.

Frankly, I think the Cochran campaign has opened itself to a class action suit if they didn't inform Black Democrat voters that according to Mississippi state law, if they vote for Cochran in the primary they lose their right to vote for the Democrat candidate in November. At the very least, this is such a severe ethics violation that Cochran really should be disqualified.
I think Cochran sees this as a win-win for himself. He got these dems to vote for him in the primary, and now these same morons cannot vote against him in the general election.

2,687 posts, read 2,185,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Frankly, I think the Cochran campaign has opened itself to a class action suit if they didn't inform Black Democrat voters that if they vote for Cochran, they lose their right to vote for the Democrat candidate in November. At the very least, this is such a severe ethics violation that Cochran really should be disqualified.
I doubt anybody is going to get into any trouble over this at all and nobody will be prevented from voting in the general election. The law is simply not enforced.

As former FEC official and Heritage Foundation fellow Hans Von Spakovsky put it in saying the law was unenforceable: It's "one of those laws on the books, it's hard to enforce."

Not only that but McDaniel himself voted in the 2003 Mississippi Democratic gubernatorial primary, which means if he followed the letter of the law, he voted for Democrat Ronnie Musgrove in 2003, or he broke the law.

Mississippi GOP Plays Games With Black Votes - The Daily Beast

From the article:

Rick Hasen, a professor at University of California, Irvine, dismissed the Mississippi statute as essentially unenforceable. He noted an opinion by a former Mississippi attorney general, echoed in a press release issued by the state attorney general and secretary of state on Monday, which said the only way that the statute could be enforced was if a voter proclaimed at the polls that he would vote for the other party’s candidate on Election Day. Hasen noted there seems to be “a long tradition” of a divide between “the law on the books and the law on the ground when you have statute that isn’t usually enforced.”

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
It is the GOPs core principles that have changed. Have you ever heard of Ronald Reagan? Small gov't, lower taxes, less regulation, warned against national health care... You need the history lesson.

Ronald Reagan and small government lol? Are you really kidding me? Ronald Reagan BALLOONED the federal government. Taxes stayed pretty much stagnant during his reign in office as well. Yes he cut them in 81, but then raised them again in 82,83,84,85,and 87. You could argue for less regulation, but most of that began under his predecessor so it's not like he started the avalanche with that one. Don't get me wrong, I think Ronald Reagan was a fine President. After the disappoint of the prior few he made people proud of the Presidency again. However, this belief that Ronald Reagan was a no compromise, take no prisoners conservative ala the tea party simply isn't true. Tip O'Neil said in his book, to his great disappointment, that the legislative team under Ronald Reagan was the best of all the Presidents he worked for in the Congressional leadership. He also said that he got more compromise out of him than he did under Jimmy Carter. So again, I think you need a history lesson .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies