Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 06:30 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Here we have someone else who is confused by the meaning of freedom. Here's a clue. Speech, press, et. al., are freedoms, which is why we say freedom of speech. Privacy is a right, but it is not a freedom. The only people whose freedom is effected by loss of privacy are criminals. You may not like being watched, but it does not restrict any of your freedoms.
I'm not sure. Privacy is not a freedom, but I think it's an essential element of liberty, because if you don't have privacy you can't really say you have true liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The Fed under Bush could have stopped it at any time. All they had to do was start taking the actions that would raise rates.
No, they couldn't. HUD had already established affordable lending goals for Fannie and Freddie. Those goals couldn't have been met if rates were raised. And Democrats in Congress wouldn't acquiesce to changing HUD's affordable lending goals.

http://www.huduser.org/publications/pdf/gse.pdf

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
But apparently Ronald Reagan did not. His less taxes and less government resulted in a massive budget deficit. Trickle down did not work then and will not work for the Tea Party no matter how they may wish otherwise.
There wasn't less government under Reagan. Revenues did go up though.

Quote:
Strawman argument and totally a non sequitur. Medicare and Social Security are some of the best run government programs no matter what the right thinks. However, I'd like to see if the Tea Party candidates have the guts of their convictions and tell the American people they need to get rid of those programs. Let's see the reaction at the polls.
It wasn't long ago that it was argued that the VA was a shining example of a government program and the model for Obama care. That was half right.

Quote:
Medicare works and works very well. Even senior citizen Tea Partiers know that.
They pay for it out of every check and you wonder why they expect something back out of it.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
There is Medicaid fraud. No doubt. What all Tea Partiers will find out is that thousands of middle-class folks also use and rely on Medicaid. How you ask? Amyone who has an elderly parent and that parent needs to be placed in a nursing home, who do you think pays? Does the average middle class family have enough to pay 5 to 7 thousand a month for nursing home care for a sick parent? Of course not. Who picks up the tab? Medicaid.

Yea..take that away fom the middle class and let's see how well the Tea Party does in the next election cycle.
Who said the TEA party was going to take away Medicaid, your little strawman? I was talking about our federal government engaging in tens of billions of waste and fraud, and asking them to spend our taxes wisely. So try to stay on topic and not wander off so far.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:33 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I think voters themselves are the best determiners of their political interests. Politicians make all kinds of appeals to all kinds of voters with the express purpose of getting those voters to cast ballots for them.

Sometimes in the hindsight voters regret their vote and feel trick and misled. Other times they cheer their vote for a candidate, mostly they probably feel nothing either way for the candidates they voted for.

But again I leave that determination to the voters who cast their ballots to decide for themselves.
So, is it your assertion that all the Black Democrat voters who voted for Cochran were fully informed and aware of the fact that voting for Cochran in the primary means they can't legally vote for the Democrat candidate in November?

Old 06-25-2014, 06:34 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No...You're all wrong.

It's been the lack of compromise that got us here.

You really think that 100 fanatics in the Senate will fix this country?
Yea lets get the same ones who ruined the economy and makes us less safe by keeping us in never ending wars in the Middle East to keep doing business as usual.
Being a healthy adult male, I don't need anyone to run my life for me.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
*SIGH*

I'm a Democrat, and I don't want any part of this fratricidal nonsense that the Republicans are pushing. It's destroying the body politic.

There isn't a DAMN THING wrong with Thad Cochran as Republicans go. How far are you guys gonna go with this foolishness? When a Mississippi Republican is being treated as if he's some far lefty wacko, you Republicans really need to check yourselves before you destroy what's left of the Republican Party.

Cochran is a genteel, thoughtful, Southern Republican with VERY GOOD conservative bonafides. You wanna run him out and elect a bomb thrower that hates compromise? Senators are supposed to be statesmen...not Bob Dornan types.

You're willing to destroy a solid conservative Republican at the cost of giving the seat to a Democrat? Just because he's doesn't quite hate Obama enough for your tastes?

The Republicans have gone bat**** crazy with this chicanery. You think 100 Sharon Angle types in the Senate could fix this country? SMH...seriously?
The problem is that you don't recognize that there is little difference between the two parties. Cochran a solid conservative??????? Why comment when you don't know Cochrans voting record.

So your definition of genteel, thoughtful, Southern Republican is someone whose campaign sinks to low levels and buys democrats so they can vote for him? You've been out in the sun too long.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,402,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There wasn't less government under Reagan. Revenues did go up though.
True. The lesson from the Reagan Administration is that large tax breaks and increased spending results in large deficits. David Stockman nailed it and he has been proven right time and again.

Quote:
It wasn't long ago that it was argued that the VA was a shining example of a government program and the model for Obama care. That was half right.
VA is a wreck. However, there are government agencies and programs that work extremely well. A scandal in one should not taint them all.

Quote:
They pay for it out of every check and you wonder why they expect something back out of it.
I pay into it and I fully expect to have its benefits when I retire. I have seen it work too many times to be negative on it.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:45 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So, is it your assertion that all the Black Democrat voters who voted for Cochran were fully informed and aware of the fact that voting for Cochran in the primary means they can't legally vote for the Democrat candidate in November?
I contend nothing. I clearly wrote what I believe.

Terms like fully informed and aware are subjective terms that can't be defined by some voters for all other voters.

Meaning I as an individual voter and only I determine what I need to know to make a fully informed and aware choice as a voter. This simple principle works for all voters.

Someone else coming to me and saying well you didn't know this or that and therefore you didn't make an informed choice is about that person's issues not mine, because only I determine what I need to know to be informed not someone else.

So I can't speak if those voters were fully informed and aware based on my criteria because I don't know what being fully informed and aware means to those voters.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:45 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I'm not sure. Privacy is not a freedom, but I think it's an essential element of liberty, because if you don't have privacy you can't really say you have true liberty.
I agree. If people would say they are sick of their privacy being violated, I'd back them 100%, but when they say we're losing our freedom, I look around and see that everyone is doing the same things they did in 2008. Indeed, for some, freedom has expanded. Screaming "we're losing our freedom" is a nonsensical mantra that sensible people laugh at.

Last edited by nvxplorer; 06-25-2014 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies