Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
yes too bad he could not get her arrested because people like that male OR female needs to be locked up
I totally agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,210,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If a man is physically abusive then arguing with him is not going to solve the problem (nor his hitting him)
Have him arrested
If you date him, leave him
If you are married to him, leave him if he is unwilling to get help

Right? Except that we all know women (and men) who stay in abusive relationships for years...if people are emotionally healthy and strong, they don't GET INTO abusive relationships (not for long anyway), so the question isn't really a question of common sense. It's more a question of "Oh, ****, what do I do now?" five years, ten years into the relationship, often at 3 am after 24 hours or more of emotional abuse and manipulation (or for that matter 5 or 10 years of emotional abuse).

I can only speak of my own experience and this is not going to be solved on a message board
it is not black and white so I am going to leave this discussion
this is going no where
if it is one thing I have learned it is when to leave the room

Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
I can only speak of my own experience and this is not going to be solved on a message board
this is going no where
Only when the abuser isn't blocking the door, I assume?

Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
this is going no where
Suit yourself. I'm on a discussion board to discuss issues, learn from other perspectives, have my own POV challenged, and help others if I can. I don't expect to be able to solve the issue of domestic violence by being part of a discussion board, but maybe I can learn something, or help someone else learn something.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here was the question:

I say that if anyone - male or female - is physically violent/abusive/attacking toward another person, the other person - male or female - has the absolute right to defend themself, and if that means knocking someone down, pushing them away, shoving them to the floor - so be it. Beating the crap out of them? Nyah, that's overkill.

Defensive manuvers such as what you describe above are reasonable, even if they INADVERTENTLY lead to the other party being knocked down or falling over. Here is the key word that separates the civilized from the uncivilized: DEFENSIVE. The minute offensive measures are taken, it should be viewed as domestic violence, subject to criminal penalties associated with domestic violence.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:31 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
From someone who is probably shorter, doesn't build up muscle the way men do, and is not accustomed to fighting? From that kind of person you expect men to be trained to defend against? W O W. That is all I have to say.

Girly logic there, let the poor Girly beat on you!!!!!!!!!

Even better, the Girlies want and crave something similar to what happened to John Bobbitt.....they can cackle about it on daytime TV:

The moment woman bit off man's LIP in horrifying fight at German beer festival Octoberfest (fight, huh....the guy was just passively standing there, taking a beating.)!

Read more: Woman bites off man's LIP in horrifying video of a fight at German beer festival Oktoberfest | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Old 07-27-2014, 09:58 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,184 times
Quote:
yes look at our society and the rich and famous ball players, singers, actors
they are protected by their fans IT IS DISPICIBLE
look at OJ Simpson he got off with double murder because he was black
but at least his ass is locked up now
if a women is coming at a man with a weapon and he can not get away of course he should defend himself
but the question here was not put that way
Making it a race issue, really?

It's kind of odd how the white community seems to have given Sean Penn, Michael Fassbender and Mark Wahlberg (not abusive, although had no problem blinding an Asian man due to his own racism) passes.

I guess the community of superior beings should speak up against their own and stop cherry picking cases in order to highlight domestic abuse.

Maybe they should ask Madonna what it was like to be tied to a chair and beaten with a baseball bat.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:04 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,184 times
Kind of weird how women are trying to downplay female on male violence LOL

Guess women don't truly want to be equals. There seems to be a lack of agreement on "no one should put their hands on one another."

And more of a "well it's worse if a man does it because women are weaklings who are unequal to men" arguments going on.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:06 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,186,593 times
Can there be another side to domestic violence against women?

No.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,002,759 times
When a woman feels that she can step to you like a man, you must show her the error of her ways.

Men should avoid physical confrontations with women, but women should avoid physically assaulting men. Most men have self restraint, but you never know how a person will react in a given situation. If you go around kicking Pit Bulls, you may get bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies