Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:49 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times

Advertisements

I find it deliciously humorous that this broad's family toasted their family name so heartily that she could not even run for Senate in her own home state of Virginia but had to try to wedge back into freakin Wyoming where she hadn't lived in forever. Think about it- Virginia with its huge military population, Southern and mountain roots in 2/3 of the state and large population of DC workers was too inhospitable for her to run.

Half the time I am truly disgusted by the Dems- someone like her trots into my periphery and I decide 'well they d suck less.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:48 PM

59,106 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Opinions, surely. Actions, however... Japanese POW camp commanders were strongly in favor of waterboarding and we hanged them for it.
I think they were hung for far worse things the water boarding.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:32 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think they were hung for far worse things the water boarding.
Water boarding was part of the indictment, on the list of torture methods they favored. (Stress positions was another.)

Old 12-29-2014, 07:56 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Remember the fanfare the MSM greeted the DOJ with when they opened their investigation? They were jubilant. Remember when Holder announced he was closing his investigations? No? No surprise, there was barely a peep from the MSM. The first leaks went out on the Friday night news dump and Holder made it official on Monday. We segued into the July 4 weekend and that was it.
Remember when Dockside started a thread blaming Obama for high gas prices?
Remember when gas prices plummitted and there was not even a peep from Dockside on his own thread?
If you are going to complain about partisanship, you shouldn't partake in it.

Ken

Old 12-29-2014, 08:21 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Speaking with guest-host Monica Crowley on the Fox’s Hannity, Liz Cheney, daughter of the former Vice President Dick Cheney, called President Barack Obama a “disgrace” and “despicable” for admitting that America tortured detainees following the attack on 9/11.

Liz Cheney: ‘Despicable’ Obama slanders ‘patriots’ when he admits to post-9/11 torture

Isn't it sweet how she defends her Daddy's use of torture so enthusiastically? (There definitely is something "despicable" here, Liz. Look in a mirror for a clue of what that might be.)

And talk about hypocrisy. She goes on a tirade, accusing the president of making those comments to "change the subject" from other things happening in the country, when, in fact, Obama was responding to the U.S. Senate report that is about to be released wherein the use of torture is not disputed. And she was a guest on the show to discuss that very report.

Talk about trying to change the subject--she did that very well, steering the conversation away from the disastrous report on her father's regime's use of torture as fast as her despicable little mouth could manage it.
It makes Obama look weak and insignificant, when you are saying that president Obama, the Democratic Party leader, had no control over the Democrats in the US Senate.

BTW, Liz did not say the president was 'admitting' that the US used torture, she's saying Obama took it upon himself in characterizing his interrogations that way. All Obama and the Democrats in the senate did, was go in after the fact, and then insert their own personal viewpoint as to what they think torture is.

When has another president used their power and authority to dig into classified files to go back in history and seconded guess their predecessor? When has another president publicly condemned a president's past actions, while engaged in policy decisions during a war against our enemies?

Did Truman, or any president, do detailed opposition research into classified records on Roosevelt and then praise a report that publicly criticized FDR's action during WWII? Did Johnson, Nixon or Reagan do this against Kennedy? Did GW Bush revisit the attacks Clinton made against Saddam, or the way he handled not getting OBL?

No, Obama did this. He sat back and said to himself: "Gee, in my personal opinion, I think this and that are torture, so I'm going to accuse my predecessor of committing torture."

Are we going to see another detailed report on where Obama and the dems disagree with past presidents, where they think other presidents did something they disagreed with? Will we see reports of past war crimes committed by the United States under FDR, Truman and Kennedy and Johnson?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:35 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Speaking with guest-host Monica Crowley on the Fox’s Hannity, Liz Cheney, daughter of the former Vice President Dick Cheney, called President Barack Obama a “disgrace” and “despicable” for admitting that America tortured detainees following the attack on 9/11.

Liz Cheney: ‘Despicable’ Obama slanders ‘patriots’ when he admits to post-9/11 torture

Isn't it sweet how she defends her Daddy's use of torture so enthusiastically? (There definitely is something "despicable" here, Liz. Look in a mirror for a clue of what that might be.)

And talk about hypocrisy. She goes on a tirade, accusing the president of making those comments to "change the subject" from other things happening in the country, when, in fact, Obama was responding to the U.S. Senate report that is about to be released wherein the use of torture is not disputed. And she was a guest on the show to discuss that very report.

Talk about trying to change the subject--she did that very well, steering the conversation away from the disastrous report on her father's regime's use of torture as fast as her despicable little mouth could manage it.
well, I have been thinking about this topic for quite some time now.

I think I am inclined to believe the following,

A. Some one might argue that our government should keep all forms of torture and enhanced interrogation illegal and let those who find themselves faced with the ticking time bomb scenario or something similar fall on the mercy of society and the courts. If this is, indeed, the only solution, I hope the courts and the public will show leniency, since torture is morally justified in extreme circumstances (in my opinion only) and those men and women who are caught between two evils but who humbly act according to conscience—even when it is contrary to the law—will be shown the respect and gratitude they deserve.

B. I believe that it is sometimes morally justified to use pain to break a terrorist’s will in order to save lives. HOWEVER, it is very important to realize that Interrogative torture SHOULD not have long-term debilitating consequences that completely disrupt a person’s ability to function normally.

It is clear to me that big mistakes are made. BUT, When "torture" or "interrogation techniques" are done correctly in a highly controlled, supervised Environment This kind of torture is a “lesser evil” than death. While torture does involve the exercise of control over another human being for a time, it does not end their autonomy as death does. drone program is just as controversy.

Having said that, I don't agree with Liz at all.

What exactly is "Patriotism"? Many combat soldiers become anti-war activists, I know a lot of Iraq veterans who are against the war, I also know a lot of Iraq veterans who are so eager to go back to the battle field to finish the job.

I have to admit I don't understand or can relate to the mentality. But I respect their decisions because war affects each and every person at different and individual level. People who have not seen combat should not judge. One thing I do know is that both groups are true patriots who have at one time, put their lives on the line for a good reasons. and I also believe they have done their very best with the knowledge they had at the time. You simply cannot judge history or war using perfect 20/20 hindsight.

If the politicians want information, put all the pressures on CIA people to prevent another 911 attack, then let them do their job. Punishing them for the mistakes made when politicians from both parties knew exactly what have been done to the detainees is sneaky.

Yes, we have used torture, don't deny it. Face reality, admit that mistakes are made and move on from the past.

The members of both Democratic Party and Republican party are accused by some members of other parties of not being patriotic enough. More than anything, though, the report is a reminder that while terrorists can't really destroy America, America can. The CIA torture report poses a real challenge to American exceptionalism. It is truly sad.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-29-2014 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
It makes Obama look weak and insignificant, when you are saying that president Obama, the Democratic Party leader, had no control over the Democrats in the US Senate.

BTW, Liz did not say the president was 'admitting' that the US used torture, she's saying Obama took it upon himself in characterizing his interrogations that way. All Obama and the Democrats in the senate did, was go in after the fact, and then insert their own personal viewpoint as to what they think torture is.

When has another president used their power and authority to dig into classified files to go back in history and seconded guess their predecessor? When has another president publicly condemned a president's past actions, while engaged in policy decisions during a war against our enemies?

Did Truman, or any president, do detailed opposition research into classified records on Roosevelt and then praise a report that publicly criticized FDR's action during WWII? Did Johnson, Nixon or Reagan do this against Kennedy? Did GW Bush revisit the attacks Clinton made against Saddam, or the way he handled not getting OBL?

No, Obama did this. He sat back and said to himself: "Gee, in my personal opinion, I think this and that are torture, so I'm going to accuse my predecessor of committing torture."

Are we going to see another detailed report on where Obama and the dems disagree with past presidents, where they think other presidents did something they disagreed with? Will we see reports of past war crimes committed by the United States under FDR, Truman and Kennedy and Johnson?
Your post is just more ignorant wingnut bullsh*t. Apparently you folks lie so much, you don't even understand the MEANING of the word "truth".
OBAMA didn't WRITE THE REPORT. HE didn't sit "back and say to himself: 'Gee, in my personal opinion, "I think this and that are torture'". The bipartisan TASKFORCE said it was 'torture', with doctors being forced to do things the American Medical Association and World Medical Associate has said is against their medical ethics rules.

"...The two-year review by the 19-member taskforce, Ethics Abandoned: Medical Professionalism and Detainee Abuse in the War on Terror, supported by the Institute on Medicine as a Profession (IMAP) and the Open Society Foundations, says that the DoD termed those involved in interrogation "safety officers" rather than doctors. Doctors and nurses were required to participate in the force-feeding of prisoners on hunger strike, against the rules of the World Medical Association and the American Medical Association. Doctors and psychologists working for the DoD were required to breach patient confidentiality and share what they knew of the prisoner's physical and psychological condition with interrogators and were used as interrogators themselves. They also failed to comply with recommendations from the army surgeon general on reporting abuse of detainees.

The CIA's office of medical services played a critical role in advising the justice department that "enhanced interrogation" methods, such as extended sleep deprivation and waterboarding, which are recognised as forms of torture, were medically acceptable...."

CIA made doctors torture suspected terrorists after 9/11, taskforce finds | US news | The Guardian

Shackling someone to a cement floor and letting them die of hypothermia is TORTURE, being left handcuffed by your wrists to an overhead bar for 22 hours over two consecutive days is TORTURE, being rectally forced-fed is TORTURE, being forced to sit in stress positions when you have broken legs is TORTURE. Obama didn't make ANY of those things up, nor did he make up the DEFINITION of TORTURE.

Medical definition of TORTURE:

"Torture: An act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person, for a purpose such as obtaining information or a confession, punishment, intimidation or coercion, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind. Survivors of torture often suffer from physical and psychological symptoms and disabilities. There may be specific forms of physical injury including broken bones, neurological damage, and musculoskeletal problems. Torture may results in psychological symptoms of depression (most common), post-traumatic stress disorder, marked sleep disturbances and alterations in self-perceptions together with feelings of powerlessness, fear, guilt and shame"

Torture definition - MedicineNet - Health and Medical Information Produced by Doctors

Anyone who doesn't think that being forced to sit in stress positions with broken legs isn't torture is either a frick'n idiot or a potential sociopath. Anyone who doesn't think that being chained to a cold cement floor until you die of hypothermia isn't torture is either a frick'n idiot or a potential sociopath. Anyone who doesn't think that being hung by the wrists to an overhead bar for 22 hours over two consecutive days isn't torture is either a frick'n idiot or a potential sociopath.

Obama didn't WRITE that report, nor did he MAKE UP HIS OWN DEFINITION of TORTURE. It is what it is, it's TORTURE. MAYBE one can argue that it was necessary to save lives, but there is NO valid argument that it WASN'T TORTURE.

Ken

Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,559,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Remember when gas prices plummitted and there was not even a peep from Dockside on his own thread?

Ken
Perhaps you should follow your own admonishment and not partake in it.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post

Perhaps you should follow your own admonishment and not partake in it.
Unlike the wingnuts on this board, I give credit where credit is due and don't simply post mindless partisan attacks.

Ken

Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:

Ken
Touche'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Now, could they please have a report on how wasteful the TSA is?
I'm fully on board with this.

Quote:
Your post is just more ignorant wingnut bullsh*t. Apparently you folks lie so much, you don't even understand the MEANING of the word "truth".
OBAMA didn't WRITE THE REPORT. HE didn't sit "back and say to himself: 'Gee, in my personal opinion, "I think this and that are torture'". The bipartisan TASKFORCE said it was 'torture', with doctors being forced to do things the American Medical Association and World Medical Associate has said is against their medical ethics rules.

"...The two-year review by the 19-member taskforce, Ethics Abandoned: Medical Professionalism and Detainee Abuse in the War on Terror, supported by the Institute on Medicine as a Profession (IMAP) and the Open Society Foundations, says that the DoD termed those involved in interrogation "safety officers" rather than doctors. Doctors and nurses were required to participate in the force-feeding of prisoners on hunger strike, against the rules of the World Medical Association and the American Medical Association. Doctors and psychologists working for the DoD were required to breach patient confidentiality and share what they knew of the prisoner's physical and psychological condition with interrogators and were used as interrogators themselves. They also failed to comply with recommendations from the army surgeon general on reporting abuse of detainees.

The CIA's office of medical services played a critical role in advising the justice department that "enhanced interrogation" methods, such as extended sleep deprivation and waterboarding, which are recognised as forms of torture, were medically acceptable...."

CIA made doctors torture suspected terrorists after 9/11, taskforce finds | US news | The Guardian

Shackling someone to a cement floor and letting them die of hypothermia is TORTURE, being left handcuffed by your wrists to an overhead bar for 22 hours over two consecutive days is TORTURE, being rectally forced-fed is TORTURE, being forced to sit in stress positions when you have broken legs is TORTURE. Obama didn't make ANY of those things up, nor did he make up the DEFINITION of TORTURE.

Medical definition of TORTURE:

"Torture: An act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person, for a purpose such as obtaining information or a confession, punishment, intimidation or coercion, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind. Survivors of torture often suffer from physical and psychological symptoms and disabilities. There may be specific forms of physical injury including broken bones, neurological damage, and musculoskeletal problems. Torture may results in psychological symptoms of depression (most common), post-traumatic stress disorder, marked sleep disturbances and alterations in self-perceptions together with feelings of powerlessness, fear, guilt and shame"

Torture definition - MedicineNet - Health and Medical Information Produced by Doctors

Anyone who doesn't think that being forced to sit in stress positions with broken legs isn't torture is either a frick'n idiot or a potential sociopath. Anyone who doesn't think that being chained to a cold cement floor until you die of hypothermia isn't torture is either a frick'n idiot or a potential sociopath. Anyone who doesn't think that being hung by the wrists to an overhead bar for 22 hours over two consecutive days isn't torture is either a frick'n idiot or a potential sociopath.

Obama didn't WRITE that report, nor did he MAKE UP HIS OWN DEFINITION of TORTURE. It is what it is, it's TORTURE. MAYBE one can argue that it was necessary to save lives, but there is NO valid argument that it WASN'T TORTURE.

Ken
You'll not get a conservative response on this because there is none. They think Obama made it all up, wrote the report, defined torture, and proclaimed it as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies