Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 01:58 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
What a crock of manure. There is nothing more ridiculous than a bunch of sanctimonious libs all patting themselves on the back for how wonderful they are because "we don't act that way." How quick you folks forgot the days after 9/11 and how hard this country had to fight to get back on it's feet.
Speak for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 02:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
What a crock of manure. There is nothing more ridiculous than a bunch of sanctimonious libs all patting themselves on the back for how wonderful they are because "we don't act that way." How quick you folks forgot the days after 9/11 and how hard this country had to fight to get back on it's feet.
Which would have been accomplished without torturing people.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:03 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Trying someone in absentia is a valid way to make sure one does not simply deny one's due process rights. Groups pled for a trial for Anwar al-Awlaki but the government refused. There was no reason to not grant him one in absentia if indeed the government had proof he had committed crimes.

We even tried Ira Einhorn that way.

Those are NOT the only two options. We had plenty of time to have granted Anwar al-Awlaki a trial. A military trial can even be done in fairly quick order. At least then there is a record of the charges and proof of the claims. Remember the government made all sorts of claims against Bradley Manning that the courts found to not be the case once he was granted a trial.

No I do not support the government doing away with a persons due process rights no matter who they are simply on their word they do not deserve them. That is NOT the administrations call to give.

The government has been known to lie, no?

Or grant them a trial in absentia. No where in the Constitution does it grant the government the right to simply ignore a persons due process rights. It's funny that you have a problem with torture but not murder.
Read more:
Anwar al-Awlaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/us...laki.html?_r=0
and from FOX:
Anwar al Awlaki News and Video - FOX News Topics - FOXNews.com

He convicted himself through his own words. He was a Traitor and a Terrorist, period. Stop supporting him. When the government does this to ordinary citizens I will stand by you, until then the MF got what he deserved. Now back to the topic, you cannot defend

Old 08-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Read more:
Anwar al-Awlaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/us...laki.html?_r=0
and from FOX:
Anwar al Awlaki News and Video - FOX News Topics - FOXNews.com

He convicted himself through his own words. He was a Traitor and a Terrorist, period. Stop supporting him. When the government does this to ordinary citizens I will stand by you, until then the MF got what he deserved. Now back to the topic, you cannot defend
I'm not trying to. Again, Manning was found innocent of the charges the government would have used to kill him if he had been in another country.

You also didn't answer my question.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
I don't know if you were busy digging for victims at Ground Zero or something, but my life for the month after 9/11 was not significantly different from the month immediately before it. Except that I got married, and had a rather nice honeymoon.

I don't recall thinking at any juncture, "how much better would my life be if our government would start torturing people."

Old 08-04-2014, 02:14 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
My apologies for the bad edit, but not the sentiment. I knew too many libs in the Beltway area quivering in their boots and demanding action, first during the anthrax scare, then the Beltway shooter incident. Now all of a sudden you folks are pure and clean? Not a chance. Obamaworld has created a lot of selective memories.
I don't know who "you folks" are supposed to be.

All I can tell you is that I have always been opposed to torture. It's wrong when other countries do it. And there is no justification that is acceptable. I don't think being opposed to torture is a liberal principle. It's just a principle. Which I've always believed that the United States stood for.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I'm not trying to. Again, Manning was found innocent of the charges the government would have used to kill him if he had been in another country.

You also didn't answer my question.
What is the question, seems more like a claim on your part.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
What is the question, seems more like a claim on your part.
Once again it's shown that my post wasn't even read, you simply lashed out.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
No one was tortured, a few really, really bad guys were water boarded to attain valuable information to save American lives. obama is against anything that might save an American life. He hates America and Americans, and he hates all you tools who are ignorant enough to still support him. You are pawns who he uses and laughs at, just as does any good con man laugh at his victims. You should all have S, for sucker tattooed on your foreheads..
Now go live with yourselves...
Cognitive dissonance in action. Says we didn't torture anyone...except those guys. And oh, them over there. And those in Gitmo and people we sent to black ops sites...and...and...and.

It was *torture*. War crime level torture.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Once again it's shown that my post wasn't even read, you simply lashed out.
You going to ask me the question or continue to make statements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies