Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Have you ever read the UN Convention's definition of torture, it's vague as hell. It's so vague that some international groups were claiming that not telling a prisoner of war when their release date is, was considered torture, or giving people bland tasting food was torture.
Lol. conservatives are so dishonest.

Again, it is important to remember that those I am afraid if government tyranny conservatives supported the two mainstays of tyrannical governments the world over.

Torture and disappearing people, which is what we did with GITMO, rounding people up, disappearing them, not trying, not charging them, and not giving them chance to defend themselves indefinitely.

And conservatives cheer leaded both evil policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Your poll shows torture wasn't supported by Americans equally. Torture was favored by 66% of conservatives. And rejected by 66% of Democrats.
Of course. The political temperature of the country had changed by then. It's been fun watching all you libs changing your minds about Iraq and GWB with baby daddy Obama guilting you along.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:48 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Of course. The political temperature of the country had changed by then. It's been fun watching all you libs changing your minds about Iraq and GWB with baby daddy Obama guilting you along.
Lol this is hilarious.

In your post you said the majority of Democrats supported torture, but you produced a poll that proved the exact opposite of your point. That makes no sense.

Last edited by Iamme73; 08-04-2014 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The men who were "tortured" were bad guys and enemies. I have no problem with the treatment they received. On the other hand, I condemn Liz for her remarks. It is the duty of the President to portray the US as caring and compassionate, above the kind of things that other nations do. After all, we are exceptional.
I can't tell if this is parody any more. OK with torture and wishing to describe the US as exceptionally caring and compassionate, in the same paragraph?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
How much torture was done during WW2, Korea, Vietnam???? Lots.
Most of us feel that emulating the methods used by the Imperial Japanese Army towards their prisoners is the exact wrong lesson to take away from WWII, but you are of course entitled to your opinion.

(One of these days, you should read up on how effective interrogation took place during WWII. Start by googling "Hanns Scharff".)

Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
It's too bad she has no batteries to go bad.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Those of us with more resilient memories well remember this country, including you Democrats, fervently supported GWB,
Ah yes. Back when it was patriotic to back the president in time of war. That sure changed.

Quote:
and even up to 2009 there were polls in which Poll: More Than Half of Americans Say Torture OK | Fox News

Including me.
Not me. Torture is a line civilized countries don't cross. Effin' Jack Bauer.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's too bad she has no batteries to go bad.
It appears she's belatedly realizing that Daddy's name isn't going to work to launch her into political superstardom.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It appears she's belatedly realizing that Daddy's name isn't going to work to launch her into political superstardom.
If I was her I would change my name.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Speaking with guest-host Monica Crowley on the Fox’s Hannity, Liz Cheney, daughter of the former Vice President Dick Cheney, called President Barack Obama a “disgrace” and “despicable” for admitting that America tortured detainees following the attack on 9/11.

Liz Cheney: ‘Despicable’ Obama slanders ‘patriots’ when he admits to post-9/11 torture

Isn't it sweet how she defends her Daddy's use of torture so enthusiastically? (There definitely is something "despicable" here, Liz. Look in a mirror for a clue of what that might be.)

And talk about hypocrisy. She goes on a tirade, accusing the president of making those comments to "change the subject" from other things happening in the country, when, in fact, Obama was responding to the U.S. Senate report that is about to be released wherein the use of torture is not disputed. And she was a guest on the show to discuss that very report.

Talk about trying to change the subject--she did that very well, steering the conversation away from the disastrous report on her father's regime's use of torture as fast as her despicable little mouth could manage it.
So telling the truth is now despicable? Oh wait, I guess it is if your father was one of the main ones that pushed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies