Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times

Advertisements

It's bad enough they are trying their hardest to control what you can eat and drink in the high school cafeteria (Whatever happened to pro-choice? What's next, someone to cut your meat for you?) It's bad enough that young people are still living with their parents well into their 20s these days, but they keep wanting to tax you to death, raise your utility bills in the name of global warming that they can't even prove people are responsible for and give your jobs to illegal aliens flooding into the country (blue collar) and overstaying their visas (white and blue collar) so you can never move out. Then they make you dependent on your parents to pay for your insurance until you are 26.

And now this college campus gem from a Democrat on the US Civil Rights Commission who used to be a former advisor to Nancy Pelosi:

"The civil rights commissioner said he favors outlawing speech that would be grossly unpopular, such as 'a slave auction at a fraternity engagement' or a celebration of Latino culture that involves 'making everyone dress as janitors and mop floors.' Yaki also wants to turn Miss America-type pageants into campus speech crimes. He expressed his belief in the unacceptable dangers of 'a situation involving women' in which they “parade around in skimpy clothing and turn in some show or something.'”

Civil Rights Commission Democrat Wants Campus Speech Codes | The Daily Caller

I guess he hasn't seen any YouTube videos of Spring break. When are you going to tell these people to get off your back? It's especially discouraging to see some of these overaged former hippies that run universities/colleges and teach in them trying to control you. When they were your age, they would have squawked plenty if this was pushed on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,233 times
Old conservative people, why do you let fringe right wing media give you your opinions. Why do you support people who cut taxes when we're running deficits, spend trillions going to war on false premises when the ultimate result is bound to be a disaster and put judges in place who do things like the citizen's united ruling where big business gets way too much power in our elections.

In short, you should be looking at yourself in asking questions and wonder why you're handing such a big debt to younger people instead of worrying about one person's opinion at a very small college campus.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Old conservative people, why do you let fringe right wing media give you your opinions. Why do you support people who cut taxes when we're running deficits, spend trillions going to war on false premises when the ultimate result is bound to be a disaster and put judges in place who do things like the citizen's united ruling where big business gets way too much power in our elections.

In short, you should be looking at yourself in asking questions and wonder why you're handing such a big debt to younger people instead of worrying about one person's opinion at a very small college campus.
Again with the reading comprehension. This thread has to do with those in power trying to control individual behavior by turning things into rules and laws that infantilize people.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:22 AM

769 posts, read 1,007,481 times
As a young American who has lived in countries across W. Europe and Asia, as well as here at home, this is what I have to say regarding this subject.

I'm not anti-Republican, but here are some of the things that turn me off from many (not all) Republican candidates:

1) Universal health care. Our health care system is the joke of the industrialized world. It's an absolute embarrassment that a country as rich and developed as ours can't provide basic universal health coverage for all of its citizens. Obamacare isn't the answer either. We need a single-payer system or something of the sort imo.

2) College/University. The cost of going to university in this country is absolutely astronomical and ridiculous. Many people my age become hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt due to the ridiculous fees that come with attending tertiary education. Conversely, look at Western Europe and/or Canada, Australia, etc. where university is either much, much cheaper, or even completely free.

3) Social Issues. I'm 100% for same-sex marriage and adoption. People are born gay and for me it's a non-issue. All Americans are granted the same rights through the Constitution and the fact that some are trying to deny their fellow Americans these rights is just plain wrong imo. In addition, I see no problem with legalizing marijuana nationwide. All the arguments made against it could be (and have been in the past) made for alcohol too.

4)Inequality. As much as many in the GOP like to accuse the President of creating 'class warfare', he's right in the sense that there is extreme inequality in the USA. Our GINI Index is among the highest of all developed nations. We're a much more unequal society than most W. European nations as well as Canada and Australia, etc. It's just a fact. Now, I'm not saying 75% income tax rates a la Francois Hollande, but we need to close loopholes and tax some of these people who make millions upon millions on capital gains, etc. Historically, the country has done its best when taxes were at their highest. No one likes paying taxes, but I view them as a necessary evil. We need taxes/money to run the country and thats never going to change. A flat 20% tax or something of the like is naive and will never work imo.

I don't think our taxes in our country are spent efficiently a lot of the time, however. We have lots of wasteful spending, not to mention that a lot of our money goes towards supporting the military industrial complex and the policeman of the world role. I am completely against this. I support the military but we do not need to spend ~$650 billion on the military year in and year out. So on this area I agree with many Republicans in saying that the government is wasteful and does not spend our money effectively in many cases. This is something that need to be addressed and amended immediately imo.

One more thing I will add here is that our corporate tax rates are far too high currently and it harms business and thus the overall economy. We need to drastically cut these rates to be more competitive with the rest of the developed world and stop driving businesses away.

5) Welfare State. I do support a strong welfare state. However, I 100% agree with the GOP in the sense that it should not be a hindrance but, obviously, a helping hand to get people on their feet when they are down. In too many cases, people take complete advantage of the system and feed off it parasitically. This needs to be stopped. However, with that being said, I do support notions like 4-6 weeks paid vacation a year, 'free' child and elderly care, etc. etc. I think that these are things that would ultimately help the country in the long run.

So, yes, I guess you could say that I am for 'big government', BUT I am for big government that must be run efficiently and smoothly. Obviously, I'm not naive enough to think that this will ever happen perfectly, but we can certainly make a lot of changes and take rudimentary steps in this country.

These are just some things that came to me off the top of my head for now. I'm sure there's more.

P.S. I'm not a die-hard Democrat either nor a massive fan of the President, but given the current political climate, I definitely feel that my political sentiments lean more left than right.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:30 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Again with the reading comprehension. This thread has to do with those in power trying to control individual behavior by turning things into rules and laws that infantilize people.
Some leftists and Obamabots can't discuss, just divert and attack.

Citylover actually answered the question with a well thought-out response. Thank you.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's bad enough they are trying their hardest to control what you can eat and drink in the high school cafeteria (Whatever happened to pro-choice? What's next, someone to cut your meat for you?) It's bad enough that young people are still living with their parents well into their 20s these days, but they keep wanting to tax you to death, raise your utility bills in the name of global warming that they can't even prove people are responsible for and give your jobs to illegal aliens flooding into the country (blue collar) and overstaying their visas (white and blue collar) so you can never move out. Then they make you dependent on your parents to pay for your insurance until you are 26.

And now this college campus gem from a Democrat on the US Civil Rights Commission who used to be a former advisor to Nancy Pelosi:

"The civil rights commissioner said he favors outlawing speech that would be grossly unpopular, such as 'a slave auction at a fraternity engagement' or a celebration of Latino culture that involves 'making everyone dress as janitors and mop floors.' Yaki also wants to turn Miss America-type pageants into campus speech crimes. He expressed his belief in the unacceptable dangers of 'a situation involving women' in which they “parade around in skimpy clothing and turn in some show or something.'”

Civil Rights Commission Democrat Wants Campus Speech Codes | The Daily Caller

I guess he hasn't seen any YouTube videos of Spring break. When are you going to tell these people to get off your back? It's especially discouraging to see some of these overaged former hippies that run universities/colleges and teach in them trying to control you. When they were your age, they would have squawked plenty if this was pushed on them.
ROTFLMAO!
Hilarious coming from the side of the issues that would control everything people do, from with whom and how one can have sex, to smoking pot, determining whether or not a woman should have a baby to the police being able to stop people without cause other than they have brown skin. Sorry Cons, the young for the most part are smart enough to know who allows them more freedoms and which are the side that loves rules governing other peoples behavior.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
It is not the job of the federal government to put 20 yr olds to work.

Girlfriend runs a peach farm where they hire seasonal Mexican workers to pick fruit. No 20 yr olds beating down the door to do that.

There is a difference between not being able to find work, and not finding what you want.

Lets also describe the nanny state of Republicans. No abortions, no drugs, alcohol restrictions, expansion of the military which is a foreign and domestic welfare program.

Yeah, lets get real in what we expect.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
OP, your answer is right here. The young and educated, especially those of us who have witnessed life in other countries, have seen the destructiveness of our parent's and grandparent's avarice. The short term gain of the few has strapped us with personal debts and has left no alternative but both higher taxes and cuts in government. We think it's ridiculous to work yourself to death in a low wage job to pay off the $100,000 in student loans. We largely think that living 40 miles from your job just so you can have a yard and a $300,000 plywood box is a waste of resources, not that we could afford the down payment. We think it's ridiculous for every American to not have access to the basics in life, including health care. And wedge social issues... Well, those are completely lost on us.

The Democrats aren't doing a good job addressing our needs and wants, but the Republican's aren't even trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
As a young American who has lived in countries across W. Europe and Asia, as well as here at home, this is what I have to say regarding this subject.

I'm not anti-Republican, but here are some of the things that turn me off from many (not all) Republican candidates:

1) Universal health care. Our health care system is the joke of the industrialized world. It's an absolute embarrassment that a country as rich and developed as ours can't provide basic universal health coverage for all of its citizens. Obamacare isn't the answer either. We need a single-payer system or something of the sort imo.

2) College/University. The cost of going to university in this country is absolutely astronomical and ridiculous. Many people my age become hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt due to the ridiculous fees that come with attending tertiary education. Conversely, look at Western Europe and/or Canada, Australia, etc. where university is either much, much cheaper, or even completely free.

3) Social Issues. I'm 100% for same-sex marriage and adoption. People are born gay and for me it's a non-issue. All Americans are granted the same rights through the Constitution and the fact that some are trying to deny their fellow Americans these rights is just plain wrong imo. In addition, I see no problem with legalizing marijuana nationwide. All the arguments made against it could be (and have been in the past) made for alcohol too.

4)Inequality. As much as many in the GOP like to accuse the President of creating 'class warfare', he's right in the sense that there is extreme inequality in the USA. Our GINI Index is among the highest of all developed nations. We're a much more unequal society than most W. European nations as well as Canada and Australia, etc. It's just a fact. Now, I'm not saying 75% income tax rates a la Francois Hollande, but we need to close loopholes and tax some of these people who make millions upon millions on capital gains, etc. Historically, the country has done its best when taxes were at their highest. No one likes paying taxes, but I view them as a necessary evil. We need taxes/money to run the country and thats never going to change. A flat 20% tax or something of the like is naive and will never work imo.

I don't think our taxes in our country are spent efficiently a lot of the time, however. We have lots of wasteful spending, not to mention that a lot of our money goes towards supporting the military industrial complex and the policeman of the world role. I am completely against this. I support the military but we do not need to spend ~$650 billion on the military year in and year out. So on this area I agree with many Republicans in saying that the government is wasteful and does not spend our money effectively in many cases. This is something that need to be addressed and amended immediately imo.

One more thing I will add here is that our corporate tax rates are far too high currently and it harms business and thus the overall economy. We need to drastically cut these rates to be more competitive with the rest of the developed world and stop driving businesses away.

5) Welfare State. I do support a strong welfare state. However, I 100% agree with the GOP in the sense that it should not be a hindrance but, obviously, a helping hand to get people on their feet when they are down. In too many cases, people take complete advantage of the system and feed off it parasitically. This needs to be stopped. However, with that being said, I do support notions like 4-6 weeks paid vacation a year, 'free' child and elderly care, etc. etc. I think that these are things that would ultimately help the country in the long run.

So, yes, I guess you could say that I am for 'big government', BUT I am for big government that must be run efficiently and smoothly. Obviously, I'm not naive enough to think that this will ever happen perfectly, but we can certainly make a lot of changes and take rudimentary steps in this country.

These are just some things that came to me off the top of my head for now. I'm sure there's more.

P.S. I'm not a die-hard Democrat either nor a massive fan of the President, but given the current political climate, I definitely feel that my political sentiments lean more left than right.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
OP, your answer is right here. The young and educated, especially those of us who have witnessed life in other countries, have seen the destructiveness of our parent's and grandparent's avarice. The short term gain of the few has strapped us with personal debts and has left no alternative but both higher taxes and cuts in government. We think it's ridiculous to work yourself to death in a low wage job to pay off the $100,000 in student loans. We largely think that living 40 miles from your job just so you can have a yard and a $300,000 plywood box is a waste of resources, not that we could afford the down payment. We think it's ridiculous for every American to not have access to the basics in life, including health care. And wedge social issues... Well, those are completely lost on us.

The Democrats aren't doing a good job addressing our needs and wants, but the Republican's aren't even trying.
Don't like student loans? Don't apply. Want a better paying job? Work for it.

Again, it is not the federal governments job to put you to work. Lots kf jobs need filling, sorry if your liberal arts degree doesn't generate demand for your services. Doctors, engineers, and mathematics majors seem to be doing quite well

Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
I need my mommy and I am a cry baby. Next question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies