Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:08 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And if they are US citizens?
Restrict travel to all, but if U.S. citizens are still there give them a choice to stay or come home and be confined in quarantine for at least 21 days. And real quarantine, not this promise to report any changes in temperature business (though I'm sure an American citizen would realize the benefit of honesty so they could get the help they need).

That's not to say they shouldn't allow essential personnel to go to these countries to help avert the absolute disaster it's fast becoming over there. Without some kind of help, it's going to be an epidemic of biblical proportions (it may already be too late to prevent that, but we have to try).

Old 10-08-2014, 09:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My sources are from the internet, degrees in biologic sciences, and I am my husband's office manager.

This site helps you avoid the junk hits when searching and takes you straight to scientific articles and sites:
PogoFrog... a Medical Search Engine

I look for material mostly from .edu and .gov sites, not .com. Unlike many who post here I do not believe there is a vast conspiracy on the part of the CDC and WHO to deceive us.
Why go to scientific sources when the net and airwaves are chiock full of people getting paid to speculate and fear monger?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:13 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Why go to scientific sources when the net and airwaves are chiock full of people getting paid to speculate and fear monger?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
My sources are from the internet, degrees in biologic sciences, and I am my husband's office manager.

This site helps you avoid the junk hits when searching and takes you straight to scientific articles and sites:
PogoFrog... a Medical Search Engine

I look for material mostly from .edu and .gov sites, not .com. Unlike many who post here I do not believe there is a vast conspiracy on the part of the CDC and WHO to deceive us.
The CDC has said some things that do not inspire confidence. Do I think they're trying to deceive us? A little, if only to prevent a wide-spread panic. Unfortunately, there is the news media ever willing to sensationalize any story for some clicks. Why report on possible cases unless they're confirmed cases? I'd much prefer they kept quiet about the "possible" cases and give us more information on the confirmed cases, or safety precautions we could take, or other useful bits of information.

I think the CDC and the WHO have really dropped the ball on this entire epidemic from the get-go. Why wasn't the WHO doing more at the beginning of this epidemic? Why weren't we sending more aid to affected countries, putting in travel restrictions, or begging more help and education to stop this thing from getting so out of hand in the cities? This has been the nightmare scenario discussed about Ebola since 1976 - that an outbreak would occur in a large city and someone could hop on a plane and carry it anywhere on the globe in less than 24 hours. There have been several books about the topic. The WHO has been banging the drum about possible global pandemics for years, and this one caught them wholly unprepared. I just don't get it.

So, I don't think there's a vast conspiracy to deceive us, just a vast conspiracy of unpreparedness and now trying to calm fears to the point where they're only causing more fear because we can see they're not being completely honest.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:00 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The CDC has said some things that do not inspire confidence. Do I think they're trying to deceive us? A little, if only to prevent a wide-spread panic. Unfortunately, there is the news media ever willing to sensationalize any story for some clicks. Why report on possible cases unless they're confirmed cases? I'd much prefer they kept quiet about the "possible" cases and give us more information on the confirmed cases, or safety precautions we could take, or other useful bits of information.

I think the CDC and the WHO have really dropped the ball on this entire epidemic from the get-go. Why wasn't the WHO doing more at the beginning of this epidemic? Why weren't we sending more aid to affected countries, putting in travel restrictions, or begging more help and education to stop this thing from getting so out of hand in the cities? This has been the nightmare scenario discussed about Ebola since 1976 - that an outbreak would occur in a large city and someone could hop on a plane and carry it anywhere on the globe in less than 24 hours. There have been several books about the topic. The WHO has been banging the drum about possible global pandemics for years, and this one caught them wholly unprepared. I just don't get it.

So, I don't think there's a vast conspiracy to deceive us, just a vast conspiracy of unpreparedness and now trying to calm fears to the point where they're only causing more fear because we can see they're not being completely honest.
The questions about honesty seem to center around disbelief of the epidemiology of Ebola. You can find the support for what the CDC says in multiple sources.

I feel that responsibility for dropping the ball falls squarely on Liberia.

If Liberian leadership cannot convince the citizens of the country to accept aid, modify their dietary traditions, and put a moratorium on burial rituals, then I fail to see why the CDC and WHO should be faulted.

Meanwhile, Liberian doctors have left the country.

Runaway Doctors and Missing Supplies Cripple Care in Ebola-Hit Liberia - NBC News

Food is being stolen from hospitals. One of the thieves worked at the hospital.

Police Probing 200 Bags Of Rice ‘Theft’ At Harley Hospital| Liberia News Agency- Republic of Liberia

In Sierra Leone medical supplies are a political football:

Shipment of medical supplies to fight Ebola in Sierra Leone reportedly delayed for weeks | Fox News

To top it off, efforts by the U.S. Army to get a hospital tent erected in Liberia are being hampered by the weather.

U.S. military to put up tent at Liberia Ebola clinic | Army Times | armytimes.com

In the U.S. hospitals were sent advisories from the CDC and have failed to prepare their staff properly.

Blaming the CDC is about like blaming the teacher when your kid fails a test he did not study for.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
The questions about honesty seem to center around disbelief of the epidemiology of Ebola. You can find the support for what the CDC says in multiple sources.

I feel that responsibility for dropping the ball falls squarely on Liberia.

If Liberian leadership cannot convince the citizens of the country to accept aid, modify their dietary traditions, and put a moratorium on burial rituals, then I fail to see why the CDC and WHO should be faulted.

Meanwhile, Liberian doctors have left the country.

Runaway Doctors and Missing Supplies Cripple Care in Ebola-Hit Liberia - NBC News

Food is being stolen from hospitals. One of the thieves worked at the hospital.

Police Probing 200 Bags Of Rice ‘Theft’ At Harley Hospital| Liberia News Agency- Republic of Liberia

In Sierra Leone medical supplies are a political football:

Shipment of medical supplies to fight Ebola in Sierra Leone reportedly delayed for weeks | Fox News

To top it off, efforts by the U.S. Army to get a hospital tent erected in Liberia are being hampered by the weather.

U.S. military to put up tent at Liberia Ebola clinic | Army Times | armytimes.com

In the U.S. hospitals were sent advisories from the CDC and have failed to prepare their staff properly.

Blaming the CDC is about like blaming the teacher when your kid fails a test he did not study for.
Then expecting the Liberian govt to get this thing under control is like expecting the leader of the local gang to make his gang members study for their SATs. Not going to happen.

Something this far reaching raging in a thirld world country demands a coordinated effort from the international community to get under control. Liberia doesn't have the resources to stop something this big. If we couldn't help, then we should have restricted travel from the outset. I thought the World Health Organization was set up for just these sorts of contingencies.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:46 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Then expecting the Liberian govt to get this thing under control is like expecting the leader of the local gang to make his gang members study for their SATs. Not going to happen.

Something this far reaching raging in a thirld world country demands a coordinated effort from the international community to get under control. Liberia doesn't have the resources to stop something this big. If we couldn't help, then we should have restricted travel from the outset. I thought the World Health Organization was set up for just these sorts of contingencies.
Sorry,the responsibility rests on the goverments of Liberia and Sierra Leone.

There is not 1 reason $150,000 worth of supplies should sit at a dock for weeks because the goverment does not want to pay $6000 shipping fee.

Utterly disgusted by that story.

But then again,maybe you are right.
I can see those countries slipping into civil war again.
Add to the fact Sierra Leone is a predominate Muslim country= opportunity for Isis and Bio weapons of mass destruction.

I have not heard President Johnson of Liberia say a damn thing about Ebola.
The Liberians need to kick her out.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:22 AM

654 posts, read 1,250,951 times
wow, just wow:

https://soundcloud.com/tom-leykis-2/...rce=soundcloud

Old 10-09-2014, 06:05 AM

5,661 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Default Family of Dallas Ebola Patient Who Died Upset Over 'Unfair' Treatment

Looks like they smell money and are no doubt being pushed by a shyster lawyer looking to cash in as well.

https://gma.yahoo.com/family-dallas-...-wellness.html

Quote:
The family of the first person to die of Ebola in the U.S. is upset with the patient’s medical care, and called his treatment "unfair."

Duncan’s nephew Joe Weeks told ABC News he felt Duncan had “unfair” medical treatment. Weeks suggested that Duncan did not get the same treatment being given to Ebola patient Ashoka Mukpo in a Nebraska hospital, although he did not detail that alleged difference.
He said the family questioned why Duncan was not moved to Emory University Hospital, where two American health workers were successfully treated after becoming infected with Ebola in Liberia.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
OT- Coffee and soda provided as a fringe benefits to employees is not a taxable benefit and the IRS did not audit Merrill Lynch employees consumption.

Merrill, like many companies, ceased to provide coffee and soda to all employees for two reasons, employee theft and cost.
Fringe benefits are taxable:
Publication 15-B (2014), Employer's Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits

Some benefits may be excluded today. I can't tell you what the specific exclusions were 20 years ago, I can just tell you what the irs actually did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies