Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:37 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
From what I have gathered, Ebola has remained consistent while we all know the flu shape shifts year to year and within year.
Not according to this:

Genetic evolution: how the Ebola virus changes and adapts

"Within the 99 genomes sequenced from this outbreak, researchers have recorded approximately 50 other changes to the virus as it spreads from person to person."

"As the virus replicates, it is expected that the virus genome will change. This natural change of virus genomes over time is why influenza virus vaccines must be updated annually and why HIV mutates to become resistant to antiretroviral drugs. Changes are also expected when a virus crosses from one species to another."

Old 10-13-2014, 10:41 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Not according to this:

"Within the 99 genomes sequenced from this outbreak, researchers have recorded approximately 50 other changes to the virus as it spreads from person to person."

"As the virus replicates, it is expected that the virus genome will change. This natural change of virus genomes over time is why influenza virus vaccines must be updated annually and why HIV mutates to become resistant to antiretroviral drugs. Changes are also expected when a virus crosses from one species to another."
Evolution at a speed we can watch it.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:44 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I said this hundreds of posts, ago.

Like Germany, the U.S. could use miilitary planes to transport aid workers to/ from Liberia. Unlike Germany, the U.S. could in theory, quarantine those returning for 3 weeks before allowing then back into the general population.

Such a protocol would reduce the liklihood of Ebola getting into the US population. It would not however eliminate all exposures.
Where would these "aid workers" come from, that these military planes would be transporting? There is sure as h*ll no reason to send Americans or Germans into a situation where they could be exposed to this particularly nasty death.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Not according to this:

Not to worry, I am sure my Republican Reps can point out which people are carrying the Ebola gene simply by the huge calf muscles in their legs...

Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post

This is what is now going on with the Centers for Disease Control. In recent years, this well-respected outfit has branched out, opining in a politically correct manner on one issue after another outside its proper remit. Now it is faced with a matter absolutely central to its responsibilities — actual disease control — and it flips and flops and flounders because the ultimate boss, the President of the United States, cannot bring himself to put limits on contacts between Americans and the citizens of the countries in Africa where there is an Ebola epidemic."

The Centers for Disease Control Loses Its Grip | Ricochet
Oh yeah, all we have to do is keep those Ebola infected Liberians out of the US and all will be well. Sounds like the flip side to the JJ coin.

Does he really believe non- Liberians traveling from Monrovia to the rest of the world are imune to Ebola?

Duncan could have been a white US citizen and the outcome would have been the same.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Where would these "aid workers" come from, that these military planes would be transporting? There is sure as h*ll no reason to send Americans or Germans into a situation where they could be exposed to this particularly nasty death.
They are volunteers from many countries. Many are healthcare professionals.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:14 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Anyone remember just a few- maybe 3 years ago when that fear-mongering CDC was spewing their dire warnings about a flu-PANDEMIC,and telling everyone to get the flu shot,which did not happen despite the many who refused to get their POS flu-shot!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:16 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Anyone remember just a few- maybe 3 years ago when that fear-mongering CDC was spewing their dire warnings about a flu-PANDEMIC,and telling everyone to get the flu shot,which did not happen despite the many who refused to get their POS flu-shot!
I didn't get a shot that year and then I got H1N1.

I sure as hell learned my lesson - I'll never miss a flu shot again.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:29 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

Bla bla bla... one in 6 people got it, so did I. It killed about 10k people, which in the scheme of things is relatively low for the flu.

Ebola has no correlation to the flu, and should NOT be mentioned in the same breath.

I turned down getting a flu shot last week, after going through... THE FLU! As if I wanted to risk going through a secondary bout with it.

Doctors are too eager to deal whatever the CDC is pushing.

Again, when enough North Americans, Europeans, and Australians contract ebola, BIG PHARMA will offer a $50k, $100k, $250k treatment (whatever the market will bear) so fast your head will spin. It's all about the money, and poor countries don't pay for the summer villas and gold flatware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I believe that was an exercise to see how the public would react. Funny how Ebola has miraculously become a strain that is now spreading worldwide, after 40 years (probably millenia) of being quite limited. ... it's a very interesting situation we have here!

Old 10-13-2014, 11:32 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post

I am 63, don't take their flu-shot and have only had the flu twice in my life,once as a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies