Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2007, 01:09 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,162,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
That is where you are wrong. You see, I am quite certain that it is a choice. Because the Bible clearly states it is a sin.
Matthew tells us that Jesus said he did not come to abolish any of the old laws. With that in mind, all the laws of the Old Testament would apply to modern day Christians. There are too many to list here, but do you wear polyester/cotton underwear? Do you eat shellfish or pork? When was the last time we stoned a woman to death for cheating on her husband?

Modern Christians pick and choose what they consider to be sins without regard to Jesus' own words as stated by Matthew. They base it on the writings of Paul. I believe that if you are going to follow the word of God, you should assume that his only Son's words are more important than those of a follower.

None of this has anything to do with the reason some people are attracted to the same sex. It has everything to do with controlling people's minds and bodies through fear and bigotry. In the time when the Bible was written, there were reasons not to eat pork and shellfish. There were reasons to wear cotton in the desert. There were reasons to keep people from sleeping with the same sex. It was all about creating and raising armies. It takes people to do that. Dying from a bad pork chop or not reproducing due to homosexual behavior was a real possibility. The leaders had to keep that from happening.

Aside from that, humans are not the only animals that engage in homosexuality. I suppose those penguins, rams, and flamingos chose that "lifestyle" too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 01:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
THAT is the 20,000 dollah question. Why are straight people so drawn to dwell on what they consider "deviant"?
My guess would be that many heterosexual Christians feel insecure about their own ability to enter Heaven, so they try to reinforce their confidence by targeting and slamming other "sinful" groups to make themselves appear better and feel better about themselves as being more righteous stewards to God. On the contrary, God says "Love the sinner, hate the sin." As such, any right-winger in this nation who goes around terrorizing and berating homosexuals is NOT practicing the word of God. If they were, they would instead be pledging their financial resources towards scientific research to better understand sexual orientations in hopes of finding a "cure" for the "gay disease" to help their brothers and sisters to find the "right path" in life. Instead, they'd rather just be prejudiced and intolerant to feel better about themselves. I agree with another reply---Kharma is a b*tch!

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-23-2007 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Rephrased Censored Profanity

Old 12-23-2007, 01:32 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:
[Mod edited]

No boiseguy you are under a mistaken assumption if you believe the Bible's purpose is to make one "feel good and secure."

Actually the Bible holds one up to, and accountable for ones life. Heck, it would be tons easier to live a life and not have to be accountable for the life you lead. There is nothing easy regarding trying to live a Christian life-like forgiving people who call you names. and not being mean-spirited when people are to you. And with that I bid you a good day. I'm gonna go ride my bike in the hills!
people who do not believe in the bible feel just as accountable for their lives I don't believe in the bible, but common sense tells me.. I wouldn't want to do something to someone that I wouldn't want done to me... that is compassion... and jesus doesn't tell me that.. nor does a pastor.. or the bible... living a christian life isn't easy.. I understand that... but taking on a personal lifestyle that you choose (christianity) does not give you a premis to disgard groups of people who do not fit into your chosen mold.. because they are a particular way of which they weren't allowed to choose, yet you are insistant on telling them they did and do choose it...
your position, and argument have little footing or authority on the issue since you only wish to see the world thru one CHOSEN set of eyes...
so.. tell me who's choosing what...

Old 12-23-2007, 01:34 PM

385 posts, read 1,556,220 times
Though I have only scanned many of these posts, I do wish to plant a seed or two here: you can have the word "marriage" and all that goes with it in our society. I find it to be a negative word perhaps because I have never know of ONE "marriage" in which one or both parties were faithful to the other; I would prefer we all have civil unions. It would be more of a contractual situation that affords us equal legal rights and protections without having to run off to an attorney every time we buy some property or open a financial account, etc. You married folk don't have to do that (but in some instances you definitely should). We pay a lot to protect our interests.

Also, I had to laugh when I read someone mentioning that "they should just come out." My dear, you have no idea what is was to have been gay in the thirties, the forties the fifties, the sixties in this country. You may as well worn a sign on you that said, "beat me" if you were a gay man. We, too, are our history. We didn't just emerge one sunny day when the discussion came to the surface of society a few yeas ago. We have baggage too which might include a certain disdain for heterosexuals and their relationships. Don't get me wrong; many of my friends are heterosexuals.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:55 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,123,507 times
I am a married man and totally heterosexual and I do not fear homosexuals; neither do I think they are all pedophiles nor perverts. I would like to make a few comments here and ask that you take them as they are presented...constructively!

For those who think that homosexuals are that way by choice, let me ask you, would you as a heterosexual choose that lifestyle? I certainly wouldn't but, then again, God made me heterosexual...as he made some homosexual.

There are only three complaints I have about the homosexuals that I know:
1. The discussion is always sex oriented, not relationship oriented.
2. They misuse the word "gay". I dislike that as it screws up the meaning of many old songs and sayings, like "Have a gay old time". Lesbians call themselves lesbians and that is honest!
3. They think that every heterosexual is talking about them behind their backs and are "out to get them".. Puleeez, I have other things to do besides bashing others.

My two cents for what it's worth in this thread.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:58 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Matthew tells us that Jesus said he did not come to abolish any of the old laws. With that in mind, all the laws of the Old Testament would apply to modern day Christians. There are too many to list here, but do you wear polyester/cotton underwear? Do you eat shellfish or pork? When was the last time we stoned a woman to death for cheating on her husband?

Modern Christians pick and choose what they consider to be sins without regard to Jesus' own words as stated by Matthew. They base it on the writings of Paul. I believe that if you are going to follow the word of God, you should assume that his only Son's words are more important than those of a follower.

None of this has anything to do with the reason some people are attracted to the same sex. It has everything to do with controlling people's minds and bodies through fear and bigotry. In the time when the Bible was written, there were reasons not to eat pork and shellfish. There were reasons to wear cotton in the desert. There were reasons to keep people from sleeping with the same sex. It was all about creating and raising armies. It takes people to do that. Dying from a bad pork chop or not reproducing due to homosexual behavior was a real possibility. The leaders had to keep that from happening.

Aside from that, humans are not the only animals that engage in homosexuality. I suppose those penguins, rams, and flamingos chose that "lifestyle" too.
I enjoyed your post. And I still eat pork!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:26 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,142,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post

1. The discussion is always sex oriented, not relationship oriented.
I'm sorry that the gay people you know are like that. That's the kind of talk that has made me turn away from people also. Sometimes I think various forms of the media encourage it, and some people just go along with it. I find just about every gay/lesbian magazine I've ever read really disappointing--way too much focus on sex. Obviously, it's their right to publish that, but they leave those of us who live more conservatively out in the cold.

I really hate to make a generalization and I want someone to correct me if they feel they should, but I often think that a disproportionate number of the gay people who are out are the kind of people who focus on sex quite a bit.

As for what you were saying about the word "gay," I kind of agree in that I think it's a silly slang term, but I don't have a solution to propose, and I also think it isn't really worth being all that concerned about.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
And there is no way God would create one of his children this way and then condemn them for it. There is just no way. And any Christian would understand this.
Others have already addressed this and have been more articulate than I would be, but I wanted to touch on this part. I know a few gay people who are Christians, I know of a Christian organization created with gay Christians in mind, and I know quite a few Christians who have no problems whatsoever with gay people. And before you suggest that these people are not really Christians, I'll suggest that it might not be for someone to decide that someone else does not follow Christ.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:37 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,631,900 times
Here is a link to a blog I posted on my myspace page over a year and a half ago. I can only hope that you actually read it and interpret it the way I do. Alot of it is rambling, but is'nt that what we do on here most of the time?

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ogID=141416950

Merry Christmas

Jake

Old 12-23-2007, 02:41 PM

I read your blog and I agree, Jake. Thanks for posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies