Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:02 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
an AR 15 and a hunting rifle are not even close to the same.

Most hunting rifles are single or double shot, where as most AR 15's are 20+
Spoken like a true know-nothing non-hunter!
In my 60+ years of owning guns and hunting, I have never owned a single shot HUNTING rifle, nor a "double shot" (whatever that might be).
My old .44-40 lever action held 15 rounds, IIRC. My .30-30 lever gun held 7. My Remington auto-loader and pump guns held 5, unless I bought the 10 round magazine. My lever action .22 held 21 .22 shorts.
My shotguns held 3 or 7, depending on whether the plug was installed or not. My sporterized M-1 Garand hunting rifle held 8. My .45-70 lever gun held 5 in the magazine tube.
Yes, there ARE special single shot hunting rifles and double barrel shotguns and double barrel shotgun/rifles. They are rarely actually used in hunting, though, and usually only by extremists who believe if they can't get the job done with one shot they should stay home.
I suggest you read Field and Stream maqazine and familiarize yourself with hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't know why a school police force should have AR-15 assault weapons as part of their arsenal.

It's scary, and shows how far we've lost control of our society.

Compton, CA school police authorized to carry AR-15 assault weapons
Sadly the only suggestion I have for you is to go get your own and learn to use it.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
AR15 deal for home defense? Haha good one. Maybe if you live in a gang neighborhood perhaps, or the Gaza Strip. But other than that, it does appear to be the weapon of choice for people going on mass shooting sprees. One was used in the Newtown shooting, for example, where Adam Lanza used an AR15 to massacre 20 elementary schoolkids. The AR15 was also the weapon of choice for the guy who shot up the movie theater a couple years ago in Colorado killing 12 people.

In short, the AR15 is more ideal for going on a shooting spree than for home defense. You can kill a lot of people with it in a short amount of time. A semi-automatic hunting rifle may be more powerful, but the powerful recoil ensures a slow rate of fire. The AR15 OTOH is ideal for a shooting spree because many rounds can be fired rapidly in succession, under control and with good accuracy (not much recoil). That's more or less what an assault rifle is designed to do (automatic or not).
I have seen at least two videos about homeowners defended their homes with AR-15s. A simple google would bring plenty more examples. To say what you said is not only lazy but ignorant.

More and more home invasions happen with more than 1 guy. The one happened in my community was a group of three. Personally I would pick up my AR-15 regardless of the number of intruders because the AR gives me better control and more rounds.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:48 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:

Just wondering how useful an assault rifle would actually be for home defense. But since you can't respond with a legitimate answer to the question, you get bent out of shape.

Seems to me any rifle type weapon would be pretty awkward and cumbersome to handle in the close quarters of a household environment. Not very useful for home defense. A handgun would be a lot easier to handle when you're fumbling around in the dark, imo. It's easy to accidentally knock things over with a rifle, alerting the intruder.
cisco kid,

You are clearly not knowledgeable enough about AR-15 rifles to speak intelligently. I don't mean this as a insult, but you should either learn more about these rifles, or maybe refrain for speaking on this subject. I would hope you will choose to learn more about firearms in general.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
cisco kid,

You are clearly not knowledgeable enough about AR-15 rifles to speak intelligently. I don't mean this as a insult, but you should either learn more about these rifles, or maybe refrain for speaking on this subject. I would hope you will choose to learn more about firearms in general.
Actually a short shotgun would be a better tool than a handgun or any AR. Handguns required far more skill and training to hit a target in the dark and when nervous. An AR while holding more rounds than most handguns, depending on if you are using 20 or 30 round mags, some handguns can hold 20, also requires more skill and the rounds are high velocity and can not only pass through walls they can pass through the walls of the home next door and harm or kill those living there. A shotgun on the other hand can be loaded with shot that will stop an intruder but not pass through your homes walls and enter the home next door and requires far less skill to hit the target. Out of the home the AR would be the best choice, inside it you are wrong or simply do not care about the people living around you.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
cisco kid,

Who made you boss of the forum? I'll speak as I please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

And please stop calling the AR-15 an assault rifle. It is not.
High capacity magazine, high rate of fire lets you shoot as fast as you can squeeze the trigger with little recoil. Ideal for taking out a large number of people in a short amount of time with high degree of control and accuracy. That's an assault rifle type weapon. Semi-auto on an assault rifle is not the same thing as semi-auto on a hunting rifle, as the proponents would have you believe. If you were to try that with a hunting type rifle (squeezing the trigger as fast as you can) all that recoil would shatter your arm, and it would not be accurate.

And as mentioned, it isn't too hard to convert the AR15 to fully automatic for even greater firepower.

AR15 automatic (slide fire) conversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4kFzECXGs

Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually a short shotgun would be a better tool than a handgun or any AR. Handguns required far more skill and training to hit a target in the dark and when nervous. An AR while holding more rounds than most handguns, depending on if you are using 20 or 30 round mags, some handguns can hold 20, also requires more skill and the rounds are high velocity and can not only pass through walls they can pass through the walls of the home next door and harm or kill those living there. A shotgun on the other hand can be loaded with shot that will stop an intruder but not pass through your homes walls and enter the home next door and requires far less skill to hit the target. Out of the home the AR would be the best choice, inside it you are wrong or simply do not care about the people living around you.
And "shell loaded with shot" that would not go through walls will also not go through people.

Shotguns are usually not the best choice for self defense. They have to have a longer barrel than rifles, they have a limited capacity, hard to reload, they are more prone to jamming (short stroking) unless people practice a lot, and they have a large recoil that is difficult for many to handle on a persistent basis (training). Plus it requires two hands to use, which is not always best indoors.

A shotgun is the last gun I recommend for a novice shooter looking for a self defense gun.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:29 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You made some valid points, but you missed a real advantage of the AR-15 over shotguns...recoil. The recoil of shotguns make them unsuitable for smaller people. Even larger people can get beat up by shotguns after a while. Shotgun training courses are not overly popular because spending 3-5 days shooting the shotguns takes it's toll on people. AR-15 rifles have almost no felt recoil, and even small woman can take the recoil of hundreds of rounds being fired. Most people are much more willing to train with low recoil AR-15 rifles over shotguns, and that makes these rifles the better choice for these people.

Quote:
Who made you boss of the forum? I'll speak as I please.
I was just offering you some advice that I think you would be wise to take.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:42 AM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
I was just offering you some advice that I think you would be wise to take.

Haha thanks for the laugh. You're a funny guy. Not very wise, but funny. I enjoy your stand-up comedy.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
And "shell loaded with shot" that would not go through walls will also not go through people.

Shotguns are usually not the best choice for self defense. They have to have a longer barrel than rifles, they have a limited capacity, hard to reload, they are more prone to jamming (short stroking) unless people practice a lot, and they have a large recoil that is difficult for many to handle on a persistent basis (training). Plus it requires two hands to use, which is not always best indoors.

A shotgun is the last gun I recommend for a novice shooter looking for a self defense gun.
Tells me you are biased to a specific gun and really do not know what is best for home defense. Yes, loads that will take down a perp can enter a wall they simply do not go through them then pass through the wall of the house next door and kill the child sleeping in their bed. Wrong again, many self-defense shotguns are shorter than a rifle or no longer than the typical AR, I have both and my Mossburg is actually shorter than any of the three AR's I own, especially when I took the standard stock off and put on a pistol grip. How many rounds do you think you are going to need to deal with an intruder in your home? Five shotgun shells should do the trick and more can be loaded with easy if you are that bad a shot, heck some can carry 9 shells if you need them. Training removes the jamming issue or one can be an auto and the problem is resolved. Recoil again is resolved by practice, one should practice with any gun they own and become proficient enough that point and shooting, chambering rounds properly and recoil are all addressed and resolved, takes far more skill to use and AR or do you believe in the spray and pray method? Takes two hands to properly operate an AR also, your point is what, that a handgun would be better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies