Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You better submit your patent now, you just gave away your future money maker

Might have to make me one of those, I have all the parts, oh oh.
Someone should invent something to get around the lowers issue here in CA. Something like 79% milled or something.....hmmmm (thinking cap on).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Someone should invent something to get around the lowers issue here in CA. Something like 79% milled or something.....hmmmm (thinking cap on).
You can still make 80% lowers into receivers here in California.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Your lack of knowledge on rifles is very apparent. Recoil has to do with the caliber, and weight of the rifle. An AR-15 for the most part is chambered in .223, some are .308 but .223 is the most popular. A .223 AR-15 will have the same felt recoil as any semi auto rifle chambered in .223. Your argument that the AR has less recoil than a hunting rifle chambered in the same is simply a false premise. There is absolutely no tactical advantage other than comfort, between the AR and a hunting rifle that are use the same caliber. Also, there is nothing about the AR or it's design that makes it more accurate than a semi auto hunting rifle. If you mount good optics on either, they will perform the same.
An ar15 does have some reduced recoil compared to other 223 rifles because of the buffer/tube/spring and gas system. Though the difference is not very much and would make any difference in the actual use of a rifle.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:41 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Ya know...

A debate about gun specifications was not the intention of this thread.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Why are these weapons being issued to a public school police force?

We've got law enforcement involved shootings all over this country, and people are complaining about the militarization of the police in every single case.

Utah, Los Angeles, and Ferguson.

Why do we need to have such a heavy show of force in society when minor crime is involved?

What is going on in our society that is causing the knee-jerk reaction to send in the heavy guns immediately?

What can our society do to change the level of violence?

How can we change our communities in this country?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:45 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Your lack of knowledge on rifles is very apparent. Recoil has to do with the caliber, and weight of the rifle. An AR-15 for the most part is chambered in .223, some are .308 but .223 is the most popular. A .223 AR-15 will have the same felt recoil as any semi auto rifle chambered in .223. Your argument that the AR has less recoil than a hunting rifle chambered in the same is simply a false premise. There is absolutely no tactical advantage other than comfort, between the AR and a hunting rifle that are use the same caliber. Also, there is nothing about the AR or it's design that makes it more accurate than a semi auto hunting rifle. If you mount good optics on either, they will perform the same.

Wow. Have you even fired a hunting rifle before in your life? That's like saying there's no difference between a shotgun and AR15 in the amount of recoil produced be each, which would be an equally stupid thing to say. Talk about foolish.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:02 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,954,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
An ar15 does have some reduced recoil compared to other 223 rifles because of the buffer/tube/spring and gas system. Though the difference is not very much and would make any difference in the actual use of a rifle.

The ignorance on this thread is amazing!

Here's an AR15 in semi-automatic rapid fire mode. The rate of fire so high it could almost be mistaken for an automatic, but the guy is simply cycling the trigger as fast as he can, and there's barely any recoil. Do you know of any hunting rifle with the ability to fire this rapidly?

AR15 semi-automatic rapid fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxeCukiFNBM

(And notice the huge 60 round extended magazine. Not sure why anyone would need something like that, unless they were going to war, or were planning to take it to school to shoot up their classroom).

Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And why not, they had no problem letting me operate them while in uniform and pointed at other people no less, seems only fair I should have that option now. In fact I would suggest that anyone that served in a combat role in the military, has a job that requires they be proficient in the use of firearms, police, special operators and the such, owns or operates gun ranges or has the specialized state approved training and certification should have the option (got to ensure everyone is safe). It is only logical, the same people have been trusted to use them while in uniform or in the course of their duties then why is it they are no longer trusted when they on their own time in civilian clothes, does that make any sense, doesn't to me. I would love to make My M1A into the M14 it really should be, the Ruger SR-762 would be kick arse with the ability to select full auto, and the Windham 5.56mm would be a hoot and a trip back down memory lane. Problem is I would go broke after about a week of everybody shooting up my ammo, darn there is always a down side
Maybe if I don't tell anyone I converted them they will not want to try them out, nope I would have to share, it would be too much fun to see the smiles on their faces the first time they let the gun Rock and Roll.
I understand your point and agree.

MY post was to call out kid because he doesn't seem to know much about guns yet, continues to spout out nonsense.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Ever heard of SWAT? That's what they are for. In
fact, the first police units to arrive on the scene at the Sandy Hook elementary
school were SWAT tactical units who were equipped with assault rifles. But even
they could not prevent Lanza from killing those kids. By the time police and
SWAT arrived, he shot himself in the head, and 26 people lay dead or dying. This
isn't a Rambo movie. In reality, no amount of firepower was going to stop him
from killing those kids (and teachers).
So, in the case of an active shooter situation, you want the people inside the building to have to wait until a SWAT team can be assembled and make their way to the location instead of giving officers who are already near by a sufficient weapon?
Quote:
Why so angry? I'm not deciding anything for you. Just wondering how useful an
assault rifle would actually be for home defense. But since you can't respond
with a legitimate answer to the question, you get bent out of shape.
Seems to me any rifle type weapon would be pretty awkward and cumbersome to
handle in the close quarters of a household environment. Not very useful for
home defense. A handgun would be a lot easier to handle when you're fumbling
around in the dark, imo. It's easy to accidentally knock things over with a
rifle, alerting the intruder.
lol, I've been discussing this topic for a long time now, trust me, I'm not getting angry or defensive. I have thick skin. As far as a home defense weapon? I happen to agree with you. I don't use the AR15, I use the venerable 12ga. shotgun. That is my choice however. There are plenty of people who do choose the AR, and that is their prerogative.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:13 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,902,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post

And as mentioned, it isn't too hard to convert the AR15 to fully automatic for even greater firepower.

AR15 automatic (slide fire) conversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo4kFzECXGs
Nice try, and I can see how the uninformed person would make this mistake, but that is still a semi-automatic rifle. The slide fire stock in the video is a device that merely assists in pulling the trigger faster. However, the trigger still needs to be pulled for every single shot that is fired.

Again, converting a semi-automatic into a full auto weapon is against federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies