Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
You made some valid points, but you missed a real advantage of the AR-15 over shotguns...recoil. The recoil of shotguns make them unsuitable for smaller people. Even larger people can get beat up by shotguns after a while. Shotgun training courses are not overly popular because spending 3-5 days shooting the shotguns takes it's toll on people. AR-15 rifles have almost no felt recoil, and even small woman can take the recoil of hundreds of rounds being fired. Most people are much more willing to train with low recoil AR-15 rifles over shotguns, and that makes these rifles the better choice for these people.

I was just offering you some advice that I think you would be wise to take.
My wife is 5'2" and slim, she has ZERO problem with recoil, it is called practice. Heck we have spent the entire day firing skeet and my wife was not in the least bit ready to quit when I called it a day. Oh, pace yourself, move from the shotgun to the handgun and then maybe a rifle if you have one, they all require skill and practice to get good with each weapon. AR's are not something the average person wanting to deal with an intruder is going to buy or want in the house and would not be my suggestion as a home defense weapon to someone not real familiar with firearms. Yes, I own them, in 5.56mm, 7.62 NATO and 40 caliber variants, but then again I am ex-military and guns were my livelihood for a long time, and like many have been shooting since I could hold a 10/22 it takes serious skill and training to use an AR in the dark in a tight situation with major stress being applied. Outside the home I agree I will grab an AR in that situation, that is why I own them along with hunting. I always advise people to get both a good shotgun, Mossberg makes some inexpensive models that will not fail them when they need them, and a good handgun that they can handle, depends on the persons size and personality. I advice them to spend the time to learn how to use them proficiently and have even taught a few myself, otherwise I advice them to find another form of self defense, pepper spray or a baseball bat works find for some. I also advise people that can handle one, is to get a dog, something at least midsized or larger that can not only alert them to the presence of an intruder they can also buy the person time to get their gun and defend themselves and family. I always have two myself and they do bring peace of mind, not to mention companionship and love, plus there are plenty of good dogs looking for someone to save them from being put down at their local shelter, a win win for both the owners and dog(s). It is a documented fact that the vast majority of burglars, thieves and home invasion types all will state they avoid homes with dogs because dogs simply draw too much attention and can, and often do, inflict serious damage, there are always easier targets. My 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,660,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Haha thanks for the laugh. You're a funny guy. Not very wise, but funny. I enjoy your stand-up comedy.
If your interest is actually to convince people - not just preach to those who already feel as you do - then take his advice.

You get an automatic eye roll from fully half your audience when you use the term assault rifle as you do.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:40 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Haha thanks for the laugh. You're a funny guy. Not very wise, but funny. I enjoy your stand-up comedy.
You think the idea that you educate yourself about a subject before talking about is funny? For your sake, I hope someone that you feel has more creditability than myself offers you the same advice, and that you heed that advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
My wife is 5'2" and slim, she has ZERO problem with recoil, it is called practice. Heck we have spent the entire day firing skeet and my wife was not in the least bit ready to quit when I called it a day. Oh, pace yourself, move from the shotgun to the handgun and then maybe a rifle if you have one, they all require skill and practice to get good with each weapon. AR's are not something the average person wanting to deal with an intruder is going to buy or want in the house and would not be my suggestion as a home defense weapon to someone not real familiar with firearms. Yes, I own them, in 5.56mm, 7.62 NATO and 40 caliber variants, but then again I am ex-military and guns were my livelihood for a long time, and like many have been shooting since I could hold a 10/22 it takes serious skill and training to use an AR in the dark in a tight situation with major stress being applied. Outside the home I agree I will grab an AR in that situation, that is why I own them along with hunting. I always advise people to get both a good shotgun, Mossberg makes some inexpensive models that will not fail them when they need them, and a good handgun that they can handle, depends on the persons size and personality. I advice them to spend the time to learn how to use them proficiently and have even taught a few myself, otherwise I advice them to find another form of self defense, pepper spray or a baseball bat works find for some. I also advise people that can handle one, is to get a dog, something at least midsized or larger that can not only alert them to the presence of an intruder they can also buy the person time to get their gun and defend themselves and family. I always have two myself and they do bring peace of mind, not to mention companionship and love, plus there are plenty of good dogs looking for someone to save them from being put down at their local shelter, a win win for both the owners and dog(s). It is a documented fact that the vast majority of burglars, thieves and home invasion types all will state they avoid homes with dogs because dogs simply draw too much attention and can, and often do, inflict serious damage, there are always easier targets. My 2 cents.

I know a number of people that have thousands of hours of firearms training, and a few of them even have thousands of hours teaching others, and they all prefer the AR-15 over shotguns. Again, I'm not saying that a shotgun isn't a viable choice for home defense, I'm saying that there are some real advantages to the AR.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
And "shell loaded with shot" that would not go through walls will also not go through people.

Shotguns are usually not the best choice for self defense. They have to have a longer barrel than rifles, they have a limited capacity, hard to reload, they are more prone to jamming (short stroking) unless people practice a lot, and they have a large recoil that is difficult for many to handle on a persistent basis (training). Plus it requires two hands to use, which is not always best indoors.

A shotgun is the last gun I recommend for a novice shooter looking for a self defense gun.
The vice president of the United States disagrees with you:

http://youtu.be/HHZ7zXLvOkY

Old 08-21-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post

I know a number of people that have thousands of hours of firearms training, and a few of them even have thousands of hours teaching others, and they all prefer the AR-15 over shotguns. Again, I'm not saying that a shotgun isn't a viable choice for home defense, I'm saying that there are some real advantages to the AR.
Once again you are talking about well trained shooters, I do not suggest them for a novice, which most people are, and that was what I was addressing, novices, not us gun nuts.
Personally I grab a handgun for in home use and an AR or Shotgun, depending on the issue to be dealt with, for external issues, it all comes down to ones skill set and the situation one is facing.

As I said, I could just let the Dogs have them to play with for a while, they are brothers and love pulling on things to see who gets the "toy", when they are done playing it would be a "Mercy" for me to use a gun, and ammo is awfully expensive these days.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:55 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The vice president of the United States disagrees with you:

Biden: "Buy A Shotgun, Buy A Shotgun" - YouTube
The Vice President also wants you to commit a felony, probably not the best idea to follow his advice.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM

12,391 posts, read 7,102,019 times
Quote:
The Vice President also wants you to commit a felony, probably not the best idea to follow his advice.
I had to give you a rep point for that one.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Probably not the best idea to follow the advice or example of any of last few VP's, Biden is an idiot and Cheney will shoot you, accidentally of-course.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:31 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Probably not the best idea to follow the advice or example of any of last few VP's, Biden is an idiot and Cheney will shoot you, accidentally of-course.
Generally it is not a good idea to walk in front of a hunting line. It is like blaiming the shooter at a firing range with moble targets for hitting someone that ran down range while the targets were moving and shooting was going on.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Generally it is not a good idea to walk in front of a hunting line. It is like blaiming the shooter at a firing range with moble targets for hitting someone that ran down range while the targets were moving and shooting was going on.
That was one story, me thinks a little too much of the liquid refreshments had a part to play, makes even smart people do stupid things, just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies