Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

DYER COUNTY, Tenn. (FOX13) - Dyer County High Schoolsenior Kendra Turner said she was kicked out of class for saying "bless you" and suspended for for responding to a classmate's sneeze.

"It was a simple sneeze," she said.

Student Says She Was Suspended For Saying 'Bless You' - FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 01:28 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
No good deed goes unpunished???

Old 08-21-2014, 02:03 AM

2,550 posts, read 2,739,249 times
I say it all the time. Wonder if I will get fired from work. Sounds like a good lawsuit.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Two things, first the girl violated the no talking rule which has nothing to do with what she actually said, and two, why is this news worthy? Local Fox news channels find the dumbest things to make news stories.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
From what I read it was because of what she said. If you tell a teen they are forbidden from saying something as innocent and everyday as "bless you" when someone sneezes they are going to make sure to say it every chance they get.

They seem to be able to see through the stupidity.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:08 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
From what I read it was because of what she said. If you tell a teen they are forbidden from saying something as innocent and everyday as "bless you" when someone sneezes they are going to make sure to say it every chance they get.

They seem to be able to see through the stupidity.
If a teacher has a no talking rule and a student says "bless you" to another student, what did they just do? Talk. Though I do agree, it seems a bit harsh and I would be an angry parent yelling at a principal over this.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If a teacher has a no talking rule and a student says "bless you" to another student, what did they just do? Talk. Though I do agree, it seems a bit harsh and I would be an angry parent yelling at a principal over this.
You don't get to change the story and then argue your made up story.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:12 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Between this and the dinosaur thread I think you might rule a classroom like Hitler.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Two things, first the girl violated the no talking rule which has nothing to do with what she actually said, and two, why is this news worthy? Local Fox news channels find the dumbest things to make news stories.
The part of the story which should concern you (but for some reason I am betting down not) is that the teacher put the phrase "bless you" on a board as banned words to say in the classroom. From what I understand, the school initially tried to deny it was banned by the teacher but another student snapped a picture of the board with the banned words on it and yep, bless you was on there. What do you think it is about the phrase bless you that prompted that teacher to ban it from the classroom?

Old 08-21-2014, 04:51 AM

5,663 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The part of the story which should concern you (but for some reason I am betting down not) is that the teacher put the phrase "bless you" on a board as banned words to say in the classroom. From what I understand, the school initially tried to deny it was banned by the teacher but another student snapped a picture of the board with the banned words on it and yep, bless you was on there. What do you think it is about the phrase bless you that prompted that teacher to ban it from the classroom?
I think the next phrase the teacher should hear is "F*** you!" in response to "banned words". Hey, if it's not on the posted and explicitly banned list, it'll be ok, right? Yet another thread schools are providing instruction and information to students in Arabic - and that's fine? Schools are adjusting cafeteria menus to include Halal food and that's just dandy? School are banning American flag shirts to not offend non-Americans in the name of classroom harmony?

Where is the country we grew up in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies