Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:14 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Have you seen this photograph? If so, could you perhaps share it with the rest of us?
Sure, just googled first article I found has it.

Tennessee teen suspended for saying 'bless you' to another student who sneezed | Mail Online

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 08:50 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Why shouldn't it be on there? If someone uses it to disturb the class, then it should be on there. God doesn't get you out of it. It also states "other peer expressions" so anything a peer might express to another.

Now, it's not like she was arrested like the boy who was caught drawing a picture killing a dinosaur. She should be thankful it was only detention.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Why shouldn't it be on there? If someone uses it to disturb the class, then it should be on there. God doesn't get you out of it. It also states "other peer expressions" so anything a peer might express to another.

Now, it's not like she was arrested like the boy who was caught drawing a picture killing a dinosaur. She should be thankful it was only detention.
Really? Then shouldn't all words be on there since anything said could potentially disrupt a class?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Oh but it's "offensive" to people. What's wrong with this world? If I went to another country and somebody said something nice to me based on their own religion, I would be flattered.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:01 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
From the article that accompanied the picture:

"Kendra had shouted the phrase from the other side of the classroom and then continued to defend her use of the phrase when the teacher called her out for breaking the rules."

Oh, the poor dear, scarred for life for having to spend 45 minutes in an in-school suspension for breaking the rule of staying quiet in the classroom. Will she ever recover?

It sounds to me like she was punished for her continued aggressive argument following her rule-breaking than for saying "Bless you." That phrase was just her opening salvo.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
From the article that accompanied the picture:

"Kendra had shouted the phrase from the other side of the classroom and then continued to defend her use of the phrase when the teacher called her out for breaking the rules."

Oh, the poor dear, scarred for life for having to spend 45 minutes in an in-school suspension for breaking the rule of staying quiet in the classroom. Will she ever recover? It sounds to me like she was punished for her continued aggressive argument following her rule-breaking than for saying "Bless you."
I don't take umbrage about her getting punished for breaking the rules and speaking out in class. I'm just curious as to why the teacher felt it necessary to ban the phrase 'bless you'. That does seem rather targeted in nature when you consider the other banned words on the list as they are largely derogatory in nature compared to that phrase. To me, it seems to suggest a viewpoint and mayhap even an agenda on the part of the teacher.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I don't take umbrage about her getting punished for breaking the rules and speaking out in class. I'm just curious as to why the teacher felt it necessary to ban the phrase 'bless you'. That does seem rather targeted in nature when you consider the other banned words on the list as they are largely derogatory in nature compared to that phrase. To me, it seems to suggest a viewpoint and mayhap even an agenda on the part of the teacher.
Perhaps because Kendra or others continually used the phrase as a way to break the rule, prompting the teacher to add it to the list?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Perhaps because Kendra or others continually used the phrase as a way to break the rule, prompting the teacher to add it to the list?
At the very least, I think it should be addressed by the school. Initially they denied the phrase was on the list and then backtracked once the photo came out. The reason it bothers me is the slippery slope issue. What would preclude a teacher from banning the phrase 'as–salaam alaikum' for example if banning 'bless you' is acceptable? I tend to be a big freedom of speech advocate even if I do not agree with that speech so my point of view on this is coming from that perspective. I'm not religious but I would be concerned if religious speech was banned because that's against the very tenets of our Constitution (yes - even for high school students).

Old 08-21-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
At the very least, I think it should be addressed by the school. Initially they denied the phrase was on the list and then backtracked once the photo came out. The reason it bothers me is the slippery slope issue. What would preclude a teacher from banning the phrase 'as–salaam alaikum' for example if banning 'bless you' is acceptable? I tend to be a big freedom of speech advocate even if I do not agree with that speech so my point of view on this is coming from that perspective. I'm not religious but I would be concerned if religious speech was banned because that's against the very tenets of our Constitution (yes - even for high school students).
I don't disagree about the freedom of speech, but I think you may be over-thinking this. This student, by the account in post 26 in this thread, was disruptive to the class and appeared to be itching for a fight.

Imagine yourself as a teacher with a room full of teens, trying to keep them on task and having to deal with one who seems intent on agitating. Kendra knew the rules for quiet, but she chose to break them, seemingly to give herself a soapbox to preach from. If that were not so, she would have apologized for breaking the rules and remained quiet for the rest of the class period.

The teacher said Kendra shouted it out across the room. That is not a quiet, "Bless you" that one usually murmurs when someone sneezes. The fact that the words were on the banned list suggests that this is has happened before. It sounds like Kendra deliberately escalated this to her own suspension.

And then she promptly went to the media and told her story.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
Typical news media with that topic. So many people read the topic, share it on facebook, and everybody gets pissed off. However, if you read the story you'll see a different side.

First off, taking it out of context should **** most people off. Sure just saying "Bless You" and getting into trouble is a problem as it shouldn't be an issue.

But I have a feeling this girl dragged it on an was truly disruptive in class. Saying "bless you" didn't get her suspended. What probably got her suspended was giving the teacher a hard time and probably costing the class 10-15 minutes of class time.

Also, how do we know that she doesn't saying bless you disruptive? As in saying it very LOUD when it's not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies