Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 06:35 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Again, I think you are getting too hung up on "banned words." I equate the list with a parent saying to a kid, "If I hear you say that one more time...!"

There is no list of banned words in the school or the school district or the state or the country. Just this one teacher who has set parameters in her classroom based on students' past behavior. For example, the phrase "I don't know" is also on that list, and you can imagine how often a teacher must hear that in response to a question regarding coursework, etc.

In short, think you're seeing something sinister that simply isn't there.
Perhaps you are right. I just saw that and was concerned. I tend to take that whole free speech thing pretty serious. Again though - it's all the lens through which we see things, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Perhaps you are right. I just saw that and was concerned. I tend to take that whole free speech thing pretty serious. Again though - it's all the lens through which we see things, right?
It's always good to watch out for that, we should as Americans take our rights seriously.

In the second article though she stated that her pastor had talked to several students about their rights being violated by that teacher before and maybe she was just testing her rights in class with the backing of her pastor. I can see that happening, especially with another adult backing her up.

At least she didn't get in that much trouble, and she gained a lot of support as other students all wore t-shirts for God as protests the following week. Bet that teacher is having fun now. lol

Kids are becoming pretty active about their rights in school now a days. In my day, I would've been swat on the butt, and had no publicity for it. ha ha

Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's always good to watch out for that, we should as Americans take our rights seriously.

In the second article though she stated that her pastor had talked to several students about their rights being violated by that teacher before and maybe she was just testing her rights in class with the backing of her pastor. I can see that happening, especially with another adult backing her up.

At least she didn't get in that much trouble, and she gained a lot of support as other students all wore t-shirts for God as protests the following week. Bet that teacher is having fun now. lol

Kids are becoming pretty active about their rights in school now a days. In my day, I would've been swat on the butt, and had no publicity for it. ha ha
And I was that outspoken student - in general. However, as my mother always told me. It's fine to disagree but do so with respect and tact. If I did that, she would back me 100% every time. And she did. I tend to still think the same today with respect to students in school.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't get to change the story and then argue your made up story.
So what you are saying is you didn't actually read the article...

Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Between this and the dinosaur thread I think you might rule a classroom like Hitler.
Why? You obviously know nothing about me and also haven't actually read any of the articles. But feel free to continue making up things about the stories to feel your emotional thinking rather than relying on facts.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The part of the story which should concern you (but for some reason I am betting down not) is that the teacher put the phrase "bless you" on a board as banned words to say in the classroom. From what I understand, the school initially tried to deny it was banned by the teacher but another student snapped a picture of the board with the banned words on it and yep, bless you was on there. What do you think it is about the phrase bless you that prompted that teacher to ban it from the classroom?
I have no issue with saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. I say that every time and I have no ties to any religion.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why? You obviously know nothing about me and also haven't actually read any of the articles. But feel free to continue making up things about the stories to feel your emotional thinking rather than relying on facts.
I'm the one using logic.

Kid says "Bless you" and thus breaks a "no talking" rule. Ignore it.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm the one using logic.

Kid says "Bless you" and thus breaks a "no talking" rule. Ignore it.
Talking breaks a no talking rule. I don't know what the children were doing at the time but I remember teachers using that rule during tests. Upset about what she said is using emotion over fact.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Talking breaks a no talking rule. I don't know what the children were doing at the time but I remember teachers using that rule during tests. Upset about what she said is using emotion over fact.
You do realize that prosecutors in our CJ system use discretion when filing/not filing charges. Surely a teacher should be able to enforce/not enforce classroom rules at their discretion.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Lefties are something else!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies