Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
If it is used as a way to disrupt the class, then yes, it should be there. And the fact that it was on the list suggests exactly that.
That may be the case but I do wish the school would address it. As it is, it's disturbing to me without knowing more about why that phrase made the banned words list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If the word was purple, it was a banned word and the student knew it.

I have no problem personally with someone saying bless you to me, in fact it is appreciated if I sneeze, however my feelings, nor the student's, is the issue. The issue is students must follow rules.
I appreciate rules but I also think they should be lawful. My concern is the rationale for adding 'bless you' to the banned word list.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,609,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I appreciate rules but I also think they should be lawful. My concern is the rationale for adding 'bless you' to the banned word list.
Why would adding "bless you" to the list be unlawful?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Why would adding "bless you" to the list be unlawful?
If it's determined to be an expression of a religious nature, that would be discriminating against one's religious rights. While 'bless you' has become nearly commonplace outside religious context, some religious people might see it as such. Since I'm not religious and not an expert on religion, I would have to defer to those who are experts on if 'bless you' is or is not an expression of religious belief.

That's not even touching the freedom of speech issue which bothers me more. However, legality or not might have been a stretch. I should have said it might have constitutionality issues with banning it.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Really? Then shouldn't all words be on there since anything said could potentially disrupt a class?
She essentially said that by listing the phrase "other peer expressions"

This wasn't Sunday school, it was high school. Bless you could mean nothing to her, maybe she isn't religious.

They could all exercise their rights to free speech in that context, not just those who are religious. She didn't forbid only God related phrases, I see the majority aren't tied to God speak at all. If she did that then you'd have an argument but it looks like she pegged everyone in class.

Did the kid have to argue her after saying it? No. That's what gave her the boot. Arguing.

If she doesn't like it I'm sure she can transfer to another class. She's free to do that.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
If it's determined to be an expression of a religious nature, that would be discriminating against one's religious rights. While 'bless you' has become nearly commonplace outside religious context, some religious people might see it as such. Since I'm not religious and not an expert on religion, I would have to defer to those who are experts on if 'bless you' is or is not an expression of religious belief.

That's not even touching the freedom of speech issue which bothers me more. However, legality or not might have been a stretch. I should have said it might have constitutionality issues with banning it.
Are religious people required to say "bless you" after every sneeze they hear? Or they will be punished by their God?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
She essentially said that by listing the phrase "other peer expressions"

This wasn't Sunday school, it was high school. Bless you could mean nothing to her, maybe she isn't religious.

They could all exercise their rights to free speech in that context, not just those who are religious. She didn't forbid only God related phrases, I see the majority aren't tied to God speak at all. If she did that then you'd have an argument but it looks like she pegged everyone in class.

Did the kid have to argue her after saying it? No. That's what gave her the boot. Arguing.

If she doesn't like it I'm sure she can transfer to another class. She's free to do that.
Actually, she's likely not free to transfer to another class as public schools rarely allow students to teacher hop, so to speak. But that's besides the point. Perhaps I am not a fan of banned words and perhaps I couldn't understand how the phrase 'bless you' fit into that list since most of those other terms were either derogatory words or slang. And perhaps, as HeyJude is right and this one student used it excessively to the point that the teacher felt she needed to ban it. Either way, I do think the school should address it (the banned words, not the student punishment) as that could either be troubling or completely innocent. While this student's behavior that day did warrant her being sent out of class, it did bring up what I personally see as an issue. When did it become acceptable to ban words in our schools that aren't disrespectful?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Are religious people required to say "bless you" after every sneeze they hear? Or they will be punished by their God?
As I said, I'm not religious. How would I know?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:25 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
I hope the government passes 200 more laws as a result of this.

It's the only thing that can save us!

Old 08-21-2014, 06:31 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Actually, she's likely not free to transfer to another class as public schools rarely allow students to teacher hop, so to speak. But that's besides the point. Perhaps I am not a fan of banned words and perhaps I couldn't understand how the phrase 'bless you' fit into that list since most of those other terms were either derogatory words or slang. And perhaps, as HeyJude is right and this one student used it excessively to the point that the teacher felt she needed to ban it. Either way, I do think the school should address it (the banned words, not the student punishment) as that could either be troubling or completely innocent. While this student's behavior that day did warrant her being sent out of class, it did bring up what I personally see as an issue. When did it become acceptable to ban words in our schools that aren't disrespectful?
Again, I think you are getting too hung up on "banned words." I equate the list with a parent saying to a kid, "If I hear you say that one more time...!"

There is no list of banned words in the school or the school district or the state or the country. Just this one teacher who has set parameters in her classroom based on students' past behavior. For example, the phrase "I don't know" is also on that list, and you can imagine how often a teacher must hear that in response to a question regarding coursework, etc.

In short, think you're seeing something sinister that simply isn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies