Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I don't disagree about the freedom of speech, but I think you may be over-thinking this. This student, by the account in post 26 in this thread, was disruptive to the class and appeared to be itching for a fight.

Imagine yourself as a teacher with a room full of teens, trying to keep them on task and having to deal with one who seems intent on agitating. Kendra knew the rules for quiet, but she chose to break them, seemingly to give herself a soapbox to preach from. If that were not so, she would have apologized for breaking the rules and remained quiet for the rest of the class period.

Kendra deliberately escalated this to her own suspension.

And then she promptly went to the media and told her story.
She could very well have been itching for this confrontation because of 'bless you' being added to the banned words list. I just have a problem with a teacher banning a phrase that has obvious religious connotations when that's one of the things we, as Americans, are pretty strong on protecting (i.e. both religious freedom and freedom of speech). I don't care about the student's behavior. Sounds like she argued with the teacher and got ISS. Fine. Seems appropriate. Maybe I'm reading too much into that list but it bothers me nonetheless a teacher would feel its appropriate to ban that phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If a teacher has a no talking rule and a student says "bless you" to another student, what did they just do? Talk. Though I do agree, it seems a bit harsh and I would be an angry parent yelling at a principal over this.

Saying "bless you" after someone sneezes is a courteous gesture. You bet your a** if that happened to my kid, I'd be up the teacher and principal's a** over it! One would think that despite the teacher's rule that he/she would be appreciative of one of her kids showing courtesy and good manners.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,696,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
She could very well have been itching for this confrontation because of 'bless you' being added to the banned words list. I just have a problem with a teacher banning a phrase that has obvious religious connotations when that's one of the things we, as Americans, are pretty strong on protecting (i.e. both religious freedom and freedom of speech). I don't care about the student's behavior. Sounds like she argued with the teacher and got ISS. Fine. Seems appropriate. Maybe I'm reading too much into that list but it bothers me nonetheless a teacher would feel its appropriate to ban that phrase.
I agree it shouldn't be a banned word. But that should be the issue of the article. Not her getting suspended.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I agree it shouldn't be a banned word. But that should be the issue of the article. Not her getting suspended.
Exactly. That was kind of my point all along.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:31 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
I read in the news that the teacher was allowed to set the banned words rules according to the principal. The teacher wrote the banned words list on the board, including 'bless you' for all the students to see. This student broke the rules by saying the banned word knowing it was banned. I side with the teacher. Students must learn to follow rules, even disliked ones.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
And again, suspension in this case was being sent to the office, and having to stay there until the end of the class period. Then she went on to her next class.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:32 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
I added this to my post after you quoted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514
The teacher said Kendra shouted it out across the room. That is not a quiet, "Bless you" that one usually murmurs when someone sneezes. The fact that the words were on the banned list suggests that this is has happened before. It sounds like Kendra deliberately escalated this to her own suspension.
I don't think most people even consider "bless you" to be religious anymore. I am anything but religious, and I say it all the time out of habit. So yes, I do think you're reading too much into it.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I read in the news that the teacher was allowed to set the banned words rules according to the principal. The teacher wrote the banned words list on the board, including 'bless you' for all the students to see. This student broke the rules by saying the banned word knowing it was banned. I side with the teacher. Students must learn to follow rules, even disliked ones.
So because the principal approved adding 'bless you' to the banned words list makes it okay? Have you any thoughts on whether 'bless you' should or should not be on that list of banned words/phrases?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
So because the principal approved adding 'bless you' to the banned words list makes it okay? Have you any thoughts on whether 'bless you' should or should not be on that list of banned words/phrases?
If it is used as a way to disrupt the class, then yes, it should be there. And the fact that it was on the list suggests exactly that.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
Quote:
If the word was purple, it was a banned word and the student knew it.

I have no problem personally with someone saying bless you to me, in fact it is appreciated if I sneeze. However my feelings are not the the issue. The issue is students must follow rules.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-21-2014 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies