Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 09:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Second, your contention is that by removing criminal penalties we're going to make more crime? Exactly how is this supposed to happen?
I already explained it. It attracts organized crime, who bring all kinds of crime with them: hard drugs, extortion, human trafficking, theft, burglaries, murder, robberies etc. This is what happened in Holland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:02 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That may be true, but are there statistics to back that up?
Anecdotal only, because with marijuana still being a social stigma people don't report accurately on surveys. However, I just did a quick count of the number of people I know personally who use marijuana and came up with 73. Out of those 73, only 2 are what would be considered chronically unemployed or underemployed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No thanks Holland and Belgium is there for those who admire their lifestyles. Pot creates social bums, who end up living off of other peoples money.
Social bums, huh? Interesting that the unemployment rate in Colorado has dropped by almost a full percentage point since January 1st. Seems like those social bums are holding down steady jobs in Colorado.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I already explained it. It attracts organized crime, who bring all kinds of crime with them: hard drugs, extortion, human trafficking, theft, burglaries, murder, robberies etc. This is what happened in Holland.
Actually, prohibition of any substance creates organized crime. Legalization of that same substance causes organized crime to diminish or, as happened after Prohibition in the United States, move on to other illegal products or services.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:14 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
I think it's good we have a State in Colorado which will attract the bums. Many Florida pot heads have already moved out there, and when they move, they are off our welfare rolls.

Even I find this to be idiotic. Regardless of if it's legal or not, it's quite easy to obtain. Why move somewhere without a plan of action, just because you can get something legally? Especially when prohibition is eventually going to be going by the wayside on a federal level? Yeah, I know Mike Huckabee if president would enforce federal cannabis laws, but you know what, that silly neocon won't sniff the White House! But, I digress... legal or not in my state, I'd never pick up and leave Ohio and move a great distance away without myself or my wife having a job in place, and some sort of living arrangements. I'll bide my time for the repeal of the federal ban.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
and this is coming from someone who was initially pro legalization, but was unaware of what was going on in washington.

my mom was there a few weeks ago(sister getting married) and she told me they advertise it constantly on television.

she said my cousins would sit inside the bathroom all day and smoke pot, and that even at the wedding there was an area for them to smoke.

she even took a hit herself(i think the first time in her life) and didn't like it, made her feel sick.

i think in the end this is going to come back and bite us.
How did you reach that conclusion? What exactly is the difference between that and how alcohol is viewed? It's heavily advertised, some people drink all day, it's drank at weddings, and it makes some people feel sick. Aside from how many people die from overdose (which naturally the one with the higher death toll is legal), I'm hardly seeing a difference. The only actual difference is that one had been illegal since 1930 and that fact makes us uncomfortable.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
No thanks Holland and Belgium is there for those who admire their lifestyles. Pot increases crime, creates social bums, who end up living off of other peoples money.

Those who support individual freedoms and liberties do not support the government or anyone else intruding on the private lives of others when no harm has been caused to others. Pot increases crime, because pot is illegal. Legalize it, crime associated with pot goes away. And your stereotypes are for s*** in regards to cannabis users, as there are many of us who work hard in life in numerous professions! At any rate, if you want to continue to restict people's freedoms, as well as use the government via force to do so, then places like Saudi Arabia, and Thailand may be just the place for you.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, prohibition of any substance creates organized crime. Legalization of that same substance causes organized crime to diminish or, as happened after Prohibition in the United States, move on to other illegal products or services.
That's the argument they used in Holland, but the exact opposite happened. The number of crime families jumped from 3 to 93 very quickly and they brought all kinds of crime with them.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Even I find this to be idiotic. Regardless of if it's legal or not, it's quite easy to obtain. Why move somewhere without a plan of action, just because you can get something legally? Especially when prohibition is eventually going to be going by the wayside on a federal level? Yeah, I know Mike Huckabee if president would enforce federal cannabis laws, but you know what, that silly neocon won't sniff the White House! But, I digress... legal or not in my state, I'd never pick up and leave Ohio and move a great distance away without myself or my wife having a job in place, and some sort of living arrangements. I'll bide my time for the repeal of the federal ban.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:37 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Let's see if anyone can shoot this down: in the entire history of this planet there is not a single documented case of anyone dying from a marijuana overdose.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
That's the argument they used in Holland, but the exact opposite happened. The number of crime families jumped from 3 to 93 very quickly and they brought all kinds of crime with them.
You still have not managed to provide a single shred of evidence that your contention is correct, even though we spent an entire thread on the subject not more than a couple of months ago. So, rather than asking for proof which you are either unable or unwilling to provide, I'll ask a couple of questions that will help clarify a few things:

If crime is so bad in Holland and decriminalization of marijuana is such a terrible thing, why is it that:

1. Marijuana use in Holland is 25.7% while in the USA it is 41.5%?
2. Heroin use in Holland is 1/3 of what it is in the USA?
3. Prison population per capita in Holland (you know, prisons, the place where they send the criminals) is about 11% of what the United States has?

It seems that if marijuana decriminalization (which, again, is not what is being pursued in the United States) were so bad, their prisons would be overflowing with offenders, the country would be full of potheads, and since marijuana is supposedly a gateway drug there'd be a whole lot more heroin users wandering around.

Netherlands Compared With The United States | Drug War Facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies