Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My wife was the boss of a group of people making $45-75k. Plus bonus. She and the other bosses (who became bosses bc they had the same jobs and kicked ass at it) were always having a tough time finding people who would actually work hard and do their job right.

And this was a 40 hour a week office job with a flex schedule.

I am a boss hiring people at $110-200k. The quality is higher bc of the demands, but we still have to shuffle through a lot of people to fond ones with work ethic and who are serious about quality.

People just suck at their job in general and don't care.
This. I see it every day. My wife sees it every day. Everyone I know with a work ethic and a solid career sees it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 08:36 AM

11 posts, read 9,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to Wal-Mart and Hardees this morning. I tried to get some deli meat at Wally World, and the clerk was very surly. Only one line was open, backed up with customers, and the cashier there was also very unfriendly. The Hardees was unclean and I ordered a chicken biscuit, and ended up with sausage. If these people can't do better than this, why do they deserve a raise?
Because they want to afford the iphones they use and shiny 45" wheels on their cars.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:55 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
The business owner gets the quality of labor they are willing to pay for. If the owners wants a better person he will have to pay more but with the excess supply of cheap labor that won't happen anytime soon.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:53 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
That TV show of "Undercover Boss" is okay as I've seen a few episodes.

The program is "Scripted" and pretty obvious considering the camera usage. If one of those New type of lapel cameras were used then the story line would be more believable.

Basic idea was to show the difference in what some people could obtain by using good work ethics and the potential for any rewards received.

The real problem today (sorry to say) is the lack of motivation by the uneducated (I deserve more attitude) of the majority applicants.

You can lead a horse to the water but will be up to the horse if it wants to drink or not......that's about it in a nutshell.

Last edited by Steve Bagu; 09-19-2014 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
That TV show of "Undercover Boss" is okay as I've seen a few episodes.

The program is "Scripted" and pretty obvious considering the camera usage. If one of those New type of lapel cameras were used then the story line would be more believable.

Basic idea was to show the difference in what some people could obtain by using good work ethics and the potential for any rewards received.

The real problem today (sorry to say) is the lack of motivation by the uneducated (I deserve more attitude) of the majority applicants.

You can lead a horse to the water but will be up to the horse if it wants to drink or not......that's about it in a nutshell.

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION! The only way we will ever get a handle on this.

"The real problem today (sorry to say) is the lack of motivation by the uneducated"

Old 09-19-2014, 11:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The question is not whether a wage is sufficient to live on, but whether an entire industry of minimum wage workers deserve $15/hour "just because."

No one in their right mind believes that a Hardees biscuit maker deserves $15/hour. What these people deserve is an opportunity to achieve upward mobility. If they choose to work at minimum wage jobs for the entirety of their lives, then what have they done to deserve higher wages?

Wages are as much about achievement as they are market forces.

You're smart enough to decipher the difference, so why did you post this?
It's either that or you pay for their food stamps, medical care, assisted living, etc. etc. In fact you already are.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's either that or you pay for their food stamps, medical care, assisted living, etc. etc.
Or what? You seem to see only giving in to the demands of the slackers or furthering their dependency on the rest of us for sustinence. There are other options such as encouraging education and awareness of the upward mobility that they for some reason cannot see, or allowing them to remain where they are and ignoring their whines. Funny how the numerous strikes by FF workers in recent months had zero effect and in most parts of the country were not even noticed or newsworthy. Kinda makes you see just how relevant they are...

Even mama robins kick the babies out of the next at some point. Either they learn to fly or the cat gets them.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever Huff View Post
Because they want to afford the iphones they use and shiny 45" wheels on their cars.

??? HowTF do they afford that stuff? I've never been able to afford those things.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:47 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? HowTF do they afford that stuff? I've never been able to afford those things.
The same way kids on the free lunch program are wearing Nikes, Northface jackets, and carrying iPhones. It's all a matter of priorities and when necessities fall short they start screaming "poor me!" and playing the victim card to make society feel guilty.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This.

My wife was the boss of a group of people making $45-75k

She's not the boss of me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies