Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,098,001 times

Advertisements

My solution is this. Since minimum wage jobs are just for teens to earn spending money, no companies that offer minimum wage jobs should be open during school hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 02:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
My solution is this. Since minimum wage jobs are just for teens to earn spending money, no companies that offer minimum wage jobs should be open during school hours.
What about the college students taking night courses and the people working minimum wage jobs as second jobs?

How about the unskilled wife or husband who are bringing in extra income into their homes?

Let me guess, you don't believe such people exist?

Old 09-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What they make is irrelevant. What they seek to make, $15/hour, is the driver of this conversation.
the OP's title include minimum wage, so yes, it does matter.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The cashier doesn't determine how many lines are open.
This.

the biscuit, thats all on them, but there only being one line open is based on payroll and management.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What about the college students taking night courses and the people working minimum wage jobs as second jobs?

How about the unskilled wife or husband who are bringing in extra income into their homes?

Let me guess, you don't believe such people exist?
Based on his previous post, I think the comment you quoted was done in jest( to prove a point), not as something he is actually advocating for.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:02 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to Wal-Mart and Hardees this morning. I tried to get some deli meat at Wally World, and the clerk was very surly. Only one line was open, backed up with customers, and the cashier there was also very unfriendly. The Hardees was unclean and I ordered a chicken biscuit, and ended up with sausage. If these people can't do better than this, why do they deserve a raise?

I am a salaried manager and I put my time to sale to say least. I watch hourly workers and they are what we call "Clock Watchers". They do exactly what they are told even though it may be the wrong choice in taking care of the customer.

Hourly just want to collect a check and many (there are good ones too, but few) feel entitled to over above the value they bring to the company.

That's the problem.

When management talks to what extra value a hour brings in, these same employees get hostile. They want more money and do not want to earn it.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:06 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
Quote:
minimum wage is for ANY one who wants to do that job, for that dollar amount.

If you are in competition with a no-tallent teen for a job. . your going to be f'd on the salary scale

so teens have nothing to do with it.

If I offer minimum wage for a job, and enough people say yes, we got a deal and the business runs

how is that hard?

want a higher wage? don't accept the low one!

Old 09-18-2014, 04:19 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
When management talks to what extra value a hour brings in, these same employees get hostile. They want more money and do not want to earn it.
Say that again?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:55 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
That's the problem.

Uhhhh...I can read a profit statement, sales and profits are up, dollar per basket is up, stock is up. We're making buyouts left and right. Yet the squeeze to do more with less is still strong. Corporations are talking out of both sides of their mouths.
Upper management still gets their multimillion in bonuses and a 4% raise, middle management bonuses have been reduced, and frontline gets less than a 2% raise across the board, not merit based, and not if their wages have been capped. Oh and hours have been cut, again, so that even with that measly $.15 raise many employees make less now than they did last year, and as an added bonus the cut in hours means that two people are now doing the work of three or four people. Insurance has gone up again too, to the extent that many won't be able to afford it at all. A lot of them will wind up using the ER for their ailments, and won't the taxpayers enjoy that!
You really want to talk about how they don't want to earn what they make?

Old 09-18-2014, 10:58 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to Wal-Mart and Hardees this morning. I tried to get some deli meat at Wally World, and the clerk was very surly. Only one line was open, backed up with customers, and the cashier there was also very unfriendly. The Hardees was unclean and I ordered a chicken biscuit, and ended up with sausage. If these people can't do better than this, why do they deserve a raise?
Are they union workers. Walmart isn't. So you get whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies