Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 06:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
How about things like toilet paper or non local food items?
They sale toiletries at one of the farmers markets I go to. I suppose it's more of a flea market/farmers market hybrid.

I eat all local food. Fruits, veggies, bread, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 06:33 PM

847 posts, read 767,309 times
if you shop at Walmart, Dollar, Target do not expect any customer satisfaction.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What will it take to ditch them?

I shop exclusively at my farmers markets and trade/buy/sell on ebay for everything I need. That way I talk to the owner of whatever I want.

Cutting out the middle man might be your ticket.
Ebay? Have an account, but I don't think I'd like to have to buy everything there.

Farmer's Markets are great--you can get fresh produce, limited food items, homemade soap and other items--but I can't imagine where else I'd get brandname deodorant, toilet paper, shampoo and the like.

What you do has to be extremely time-consuming. I will admit that I miss being able to get everything in one fell swoop.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
What I've found for the most part is, a lot people don't give a $h!t when it comes to their jobs, minimum wage or not.
True story.

It's pretty hard to find motivated, responsible people who take their jobs seriously. When you do find them, pay them well and treat them well because they are few and far between.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
True story.

It's pretty hard to find motivated, responsible people who take their jobs seriously. When you do find them, pay them well and treat them well because they are few and far between.
You got that right!

When I find someone like this, they get all of my business that pertains to them--and references as well.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Where I live now, jobs are very hard to come by, and a lot of people have to work 2 or more part time jobs, or seasonal jobs to make it. That's how it is here because our state is extremely unfriendly to business. (Good example of what NOT to do, if you want to keep jobs in your area.)

These people are thankful for what they can get. No, they don't get paid much, I think the minimum wage here is like $7.25 or $7.50, I'm not sure which one it is, but that's what most of them get. And they are thankful for that, too. It is extremely rare that I walk in to a store with someone with a nasty, "I don't care" attitude. It doesn't matter if the worker is a teen, middle aged, or retired, they all know that keeping their job is necessary to survive.

It's a big difference compared to those in other places, (places I've lived, as well), who have an entitlement mentality that they DESERVE more.

I walk in to a store here, I get a smile. I get a friendly greeting. I get a joke. I get a recommendation. I get honesty. I get someone who works, and does it efficiently. (Unless they are new on the job, of course it takes them a bit to do things...I get that.)

When you stop thinking that you're some special princess, and are thankful for what you have, you stop whining and start working....and it's greatly appreciated. It also makes your day go by a lot better.

In this state, people know how to "make do" with what they have. Why is that so difficult for others to do in other areas? You aren't special, sorry to burst your bubbles. You're mommy's special snow flake, sure, but the rest of the world doesn't see you that way. If you don't like how much pay you get, and you don't like the job, leave the job. Let someone who will appreciate it take that job.

There's no way I want to pay higher prices for the things I buy just because you think you deserve more for doing nothing extra, if you even do your job right at all.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:54 PM

1,259 posts, read 829,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Yes, how else do you think this works? Do you think that Wal-Mart leaves its managerial and other leadership positions unfilled and instead focuses on the "underlings?"

I don't know how old you are, but you demonstrate what appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what it means to work for company.

And you demonstrate that you worked for a company, but years years ago.

Walmart's business model is based on cheap labor. They are not really interested in promoting, paying more etc. No, they are interested in people they can hire for peanuts and they do most of the work, not the managers. Wal-Mart hires and trains, hires and trains in never ending cycle as they can't really keep employees for the pay they offer.

That's why i shop at costco; I'd rather deal with happy, helpful people who care about the company they work for.
Loyalty and dedication is something that you have to earn. Walmart decided long time ago that it is not worth to pay for it. Remember, costco starting pay is $18. And it shows.

Last edited by random_thoughts; 09-17-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Because it's a MINIMUM wage, not an intended-to-support-a-family wage.

minimum [min-uh-muh m]

adjective,

noting or indicating a minimum, least possible, lowest

Show us where "minimum" means substandard, below needs of an average person...

Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
And you demonstrate that you worked for a company, but years years ago.

Walmart's business model is based on cheap labor. They are not really interested in promoting, paying more etc. No, they are interested in people they can hire for peanuts, they do most of the work., not the managers. Wlamart hires and traines, hires and traines since they can't really keep employees for the pay they offer.
Thats why i shop at costco, Id rather deal with happy, helpful people who care about the company they work for.
Loyalty and dedication is something you have to earn. Walmart decided long time ago that it is not worth to pay for it. Remember, costco starting pay is $18. And it shows.
Oh, gag me! If I ever need a PR firm, I'm hiring Costco's. Their starting wage is actually $11.50.
Of Course Costco Supports A Higher Minimum Wage: It Already Pays Above It - Forbes

Try going to Costco to buy a pair of shoelaces. Maybe a case, but not a pair.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, gag me! If I ever need a PR firm, I'm hiring Costco's. Their starting wage is actually $11.50.
Of Course Costco Supports A Higher Minimum Wage: It Already Pays Above It - Forbes

Try going to Costco to buy a pair of shoelaces. Maybe a case, but not a pair.

Where I live Costco pays $18 / hr

Here is glassdoor and info on costco salaries:

Costco Wholesale Hourly Pay | Glassdoor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies