Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Or what? You seem to see only giving in to the demands of the slackers or furthering their dependency on the rest of us for sustinence. There are other options such as encouraging education and awareness of the upward mobility that they for some reason cannot see, or allowing them to remain where they are and ignoring their whines. Funny how the numerous strikes by FF workers in recent months had zero effect and in most parts of the country were not even noticed or newsworthy. Kinda makes you see just how relevant they are...

Even mama robins kick the babies out of the next at some point. Either they learn to fly or the cat gets them.
Well unless you're planning to go Ghengis Khan on the government, what exactly are you going to do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
The bleeding hearts and the professionally entitled will always claim they are worth more.

The rest of us normal folks, (you know those who have worked for what we have) well, we know that to be worth more you have to work for it. If you insist on working in retail then have some ambition, work towards promotion. Its no good standing around complaining about managers making the big bucks when you don't have the gumption to work for that yourself.
I worked retail for a time, started off as part time closer earning $10:30 an hour (this was in Alaska so starting wages are slightly above those in the lower 48). Within 6 months I had started management training I then earned $14.70/hr. With hard work within the next year I took a position of assistant section manager and was earning just short of $18.00/hr which at 45 hours a week works out at $42,000 a year which was a decent enough living wage.

Bottom line is, take responsibility for your own life, if you want more have some ambition ... work for it !!!!!
Retail managers don't make big bucks unless they're a store manager.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Well unless you're planning to go Ghengis Khan on the government, what exactly are you going to do about it?
Advocate at every opportunity elimination of such entitlements or government benefits which benefit the lazy and unmotivated. Not much, but perhaps all I can do.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:20 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
It's either that or you pay for their food stamps, medical care, assisted living, etc. etc. In fact you already are.
Why should it be an either/or scenario? I'm not saying that it's NOT, but the current situation is far from ideal.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The business owner gets the quality of labor they are willing to pay for. If the owners wants a better person he will have to pay more but with the excess supply of cheap labor that won't happen anytime soon.
That is b.s.
At my wife's company, they can never fill all the jobs bc they cannot find qualified candidates who are willing to give a F and actually put in a little effort.

And the pay is great.
Best benefits package I have ever seen.
Matching 401k.

Why is it so hard to believe that the general population is comprised of a lot of lazy people?

Study: Americans Spend Up To 80 Percent Of Internet Time ‘Cyberloafing’ « CBS St. Louis

Who Wastes The Most Time At Work? - Forbes

Old 09-19-2014, 03:35 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That is b.s.
At my wife's company, they can never fill all the jobs bc they cannot find qualified candidates who are willing to give a F and actually put in a little effort.

And the pay is great.
Matching 401k.

Why is it so hard to believe that the general population is comprised of a lot of lazy people?

Study: Americans Spend Up To 80 Percent Of Internet Time ‘Cyberloafing’ « CBS St. Louis

This is true in some cases, but it's also true that willing people cannot find decent work. The answer is in the middle somewhere.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:49 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default Touched a an Good Point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
This is true in some cases, but it's also true that willing people cannot find decent work. The answer is in the middle somewhere.
Mrs. Ghost is very good at her field and very qualified. The Problem that the people who remain in those higher position are fearful of qualified professionals like Mrs. Ghost.
They would rather make a bad hire than putting the right person in that position.

This Nation has grown fearful of competition.

That's why people hang on to those Wal-Mart jobs to the end.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That is b.s.

And the pay is great.
Matching 401k.

It doesn't matter if the pay is great if they are still underpaying. Min wage workers can't find better jobs for much the same reason companies can't find better employees - the market.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:42 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It doesn't matter if the pay is great if they are still underpaying. Min wage workers can't find better jobs for much the same reason companies can't find better employees - the market.
All you need is a bachelor's and given the work and the reputation of the company, they are not underpaying.

They get plenty of applicants. It is very desirable. Just most of them suck. One guy would call his own voicemail and just leave it running so he did not have to take calls.

It does not matter the field.

Took me four tries to get a plumber I like. No difference in rates.
Took me 3 tries to get a decent maid (at $185 for four-five hours' work - two ladies, I supply everything - hardly underpaid).
3 tries to get an electrician.
I still have not found an HVAC company I like.
Can't seem to be able to take my car anywhere without *something* untoward happening.

Maybe my standards for good work are just high, but if I am looking for someone able to try harder and do more than a slapdash mediocre whatever job. Oops, I broke your sh*t in the meantime. Sorry.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:49 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
They don't deserve a raise. They deserve to be promoted up the ladder only after proving they are hard worker's and are high achievers with the singular goal of total customer satisfaction. They do not deserve a raise for merely being on the payroll. Anything short of being a high achiever deserves not one additional penny, but liberals and Democrats don't understand that and instead believe demagoguery and protest is the best way to earn more money.

America is now the country of the lowest common denominator courtesy of Democrats, liberals, and other losers. And that's why America is circling the drain faster and faster with every passing day.
Whoa!!!
So much common sense in one post- I'm not used to this, lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies