Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This is a national issue and the controversy over the changes to the AP history curriculum extends far beyond the borders of Jefferson County, CO. You need to get a little more up to speed on the national news before you tell everyone to ****.
National? Who else is proposing changing the curriculum of AP US History? We were just talking about this today in a group of extended family, some of whom live in Jeffco. When my daughters took AP US, they had great teachers. One of them said "Do I teach to the test? You bet I do!" Now that is not all bad. The purpose of the course is to score high enough to possibly (depends on the college) receive some college credit. US History covers a lot of ground. People spend years studying it in college. One can only cover certain topics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 07:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
My guess is they might be happier reading Moa handbook. Their loss in the end ;not going to school.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
It wasn't. I thougth that abolishment of slavery is usually given as a reason for a civil war.

That was the driver and the mechanism, but not the reason for the civil war.

The Federal Governments overreach, taking states power away from the individual states. was the reason for the civil war. It was not about abolishing slavery, it was how they were going to go about doing it, with force. Not an amendment to the constitution.

Then look how unconstitutional reconstitution was, with the federal government appointing the legislative and executive branches of the once Confederate states with their pawns, and then amending the constitution.

And they wondered why all the resentment.

Education may take longer to achieve the same results, but there is ZERO resentment with education, unlike forced. The same resentment that still lasts to this day and age, 150 years later.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:38 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,973 times
well all this looks and smells like what is happening at the Federal level with the Federal Common Core Curriculum.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I'm sorry. what is the problem with this again????
The problem with it is the "don’t encourage or condone civil disorder†part. You know what hopeless ideologues liberals are. They are going to instantly interpret that as not making OWS out to be the heroes that liberals imagine them to be.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:53 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
All men, so long as they were free white men.

Women, Indians, African and Irish slaves, not so much.
So what? What relevance does that have to the post you responded to or to the issue at hand?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:06 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
National? Who else is proposing changing the curriculum of AP US History? We were just talking about this today in a group of extended family, some of whom live in Jeffco. When my daughters took AP US, they had great teachers. One of them said "Do I teach to the test? You bet I do!" Now that is not all bad. The purpose of the course is to score high enough to possibly (depends on the college) receive some college credit. US History covers a lot of ground. People spend years studying it in college. One can only cover certain topics.
The College Board writes the AP curriculum for the entire country. This is about changes to the AP history curriculum for a ll schools. Your daughters' experience is what the conservatives want to go back to.

college board ap us history - Google Search

Old 09-29-2014, 07:49 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no. teacher's unions work to undermine public education by rewarding failures. you can shake your head all you want, but the facts are there. you comment is also riddled with contradictions.
There is no "reward" or "punishment" appropriate in education. A country is only as educated as its dumbest citizens. When they fail we all fail. That's why America is looking pretty damn ignorant these days.

Quote:
Nor is it mentioned the Republican Party was created because of slavery and it was they who freed the slaves.
The Republican Party that freed the slaves has nothing in common with the Republican Party of today. That Republican Party had all the liberals.

Quote:
Really? If anything liberals including your pagan god in the white house really need to learn history because we seem to be repeating history as we speak.
I don't believe in god, so don't go there.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:46 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,237,701 times
But michelle Obama satys we have to rewrite our history!

So the science is settled but history is not if you believe the D-Party.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:07 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
But michelle Obama satys we have to rewrite our history!

So the science is settled but history is not if you believe the D-Party.
I was going to rat you out to Fox news that you've been watching MSNBC but you edited your post too quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies