Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:09 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
That's why they want to find out what's going on.
That's what science IS.
...and I have no problem with that. My problem, is with making alarmist predictions of runaway warming year after year, claiming the science is settled when we are still learning so much about the climate as this issue proves and ridiculing anyone who dares to question all of this as a "denier" or a "flat earthier".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:26 PM

33,551 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
...and I have no problem with that. My problem, is with making alarmist predictions of runaway warming year after year, claiming the science is settled when we are still learning so much about the climate as this issue proves and ridiculing anyone who dares to question all of this as a "denier" or a "flat earthier".
Do you think the term Roy Spencer uses "Global Warming Nazi" is better?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Do you think the term Roy Spencer uses "Global Warming Nazi" is better?
Not at all. I don't condone that either.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
it also says the heat doesnt account for the recent pause
It also says..."These findings do not throw suspicion on climate change itself."

Old 10-06-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I don't condone that either.
Actually, I just took a second to look that up and it turns out the he is doing this as a reaction to constantly being called a denier.

“Too many of us for too long have ignored the repulsive, extremist nature of the comparison. It’s time to push back,†he wrote. “I’m now going to start calling these people “global warming Nazis.’â€

Old 10-06-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
It also says..."These findings do not throw suspicion on climate change itself."
Nor did I claim they did, they throw suspicion on the notion that heat being sequestered in the ocean is the reason for the current pause in global warming.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:44 PM

Difference between doubt and denial.

“Doubt, indulged and cherished, is in danger of becoming denial; but if honest, and bent on thorough investigation, it may soon lead to full establishment of the truth.” – Ambrose Bierce

1. The climate is not warming.....Denier

2. This warming is not because of human influence......Denier

3. This warming is not going to do very bad, or unpredictable things.....Skeptic

To me it appears that almost nobody except the most rabid fundamentalist denier would have a problem with the first point. I would also call someone who disagrees with the second point as at least leaning toward being a denier. There’s really no other good explanation for the warming that we have seen except human activity.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Difference between doubt and denial.

“Doubt, indulged and cherished, is in danger of becoming denial; but if honest, and bent on thorough investigation, it may soon lead to full establishment of the truth.” – Ambrose Bierce

1. The climate is not warming.....Denier

2. This warming is not because of human influence......Denier

3. This warming is not going to do very bad, or unpredictable things.....Skeptic

To me it appears that almost nobody except the most rabid fundamentalist denier would have a problem with the first point. I would also call someone who disagrees with the second point as at least leaning toward being a denier. There’s really no other good explanation for the warming that we have seen except human activity.
I don't get your point. Most of the people who have doubts, have doubts about the degree of warming, how much warming is part of a naturally occurring cycle, how much has man caused, how bad will it be or not be, etc. All questions we currently cannot answer with any authority as this new study illustrates.

It actually is disingenuous and poor science for NASA to claim that this new study doesn't disprove global warming when by their own admission, they admit that they cannot explain the recent pause.
Now it may in fact not disprove AGW or maybe it will lead us down a road where it does. This notion where every bit of science that might cast doubt on the current consensus view needs to have a disclaimer of sorts at the top saying "the following report does not disprove AGW" seems very anti-science, political, dogmatic and disturbing to me.
Science should have an open mind and be open to all possibilities, that is how knowledge expands.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I don't get your point. Most of the people who have doubts, have doubts about the degree of warming, how much warming is part of a naturally occurring cycle, how much has man caused, how bad will it be or not be, etc. All questions we currently cannot answer with any authority as this new study illustrates.

It actually is disingenuous and poor science for NASA to claim that this new study doesn't disprove global warming when by their own admission, they admit that they cannot explain the recent pause.
Now it may in fact not disprove AGW or maybe it will lead us down a road where it does. This notion where every bit of science that might cast doubt on the current consensus view needs to have a disclaimer of sorts at the top saying "the following report does not disprove AGW" seems very anti-science, political, dogmatic and disturbing to me.
Science should have an open mind and be open to all possibilities, that is how knowledge expands.
Because science cannot yet explain the cause of the missing heat in the deep does not disprove AGW....There are a lot of things that science can't explain...If it could explain everything, there would be no need for science.

By the way there are people still who say that the earth is not warming at all, even some who claim that it is cooling.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:42 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times
Quote:
Because science cannot yet explain the cause of the missing heat in the deep does not disprove AGW....There are a lot of things that science can't explain...If it could explain everything, there would be no need for science.

By the way there are people still who say that the earth is not warming at all, even some who claim that it is cooling.
So you AGW folk do NOT have all the answers yet? Does that mean the science is open to question?

You people cannot have it both ways. Either it is "settled" science or it is not.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies