Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 07:56 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is what it was: a disease of impoverished people and those who treat them. The US has little to be concerned over. Back to ISIS!
Hmm, once upon a time AIDS was called a disease of gay men and was subsequently ignored as a result. I think it would be prudent to not repeat the failures of our past and nip this in the bud right away with all the resources available to do so. To me, this should include limiting visas from those affected countries, working in those countries to help eradicate this latest epidemic and ensuring our health care workers have both the training and necessary equipment to deal with any potential cases. We seem to be falling woefully short on several of those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Just a person that should not have been travelling at this time because of the potential.
She was not told to self-quarantine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
What if Lots of People Have Ebola-Proof Blood? - NBC News

it is about time they considered it.
many have been saying this for quite a while already.
I am surprised they just thought of this.

antibodies are only produced by our own bodies effective against the virus
as a result

why not use the peoples blood that are now immune? the so to speak.

many online have already expressed this some doctors as well
especially now since Dr Brantly did it you know it is suppose to help
but his blood still contains the virus it is just that his blood is now immune to the virus itself for now
NBC is way late to the party. That was done when the first guy with Ebola was treated in Nebraska.

Quote:
Duncans's girl friend and others who were quarantined in his contaminated apartment will be released today free of Ebola. It goes to underscore and bold the CDC contention that Ebola is simply not that contagious. It is, primarily, a disease of caregivers.
Duncan's girlfriend and the others in his apartment are an anecdote.

Quote:
It is what it was: a disease of impoverished people and those who treat them. The US has little to be concerned over. Back to ISIS!
I wouldn't be so blase.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:02 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
She was not told to self-quarantine.

NBC is way late to the party. That was done when the first guy with Ebola was treated in Nebraska.

Duncan's girlfriend and the others in his apartment are an anecdote.

I wouldn't be so blase.

Is that the smart, prudent move on her part & officials responsibilities to the general public?

No.
Why is there even an argument about it.
In light of this just coming to the US this is a foolhardy selfish act. Should not we err on the side of caution & responsibility when it comes to Ebola here?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:06 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Duncans's girl friend and others who were quarantined in his contaminated apartment will be released today free of Ebola. It goes to underscore and bold the CDC contention that Ebola is simply not that contagious. It is, primarily, a disease of caregivers.
She should have no problem returning to her apartment that was disinfected in the beginning.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:06 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Back from the "front lines" in the ER, I can tell you nobody is laughing. Every person is screened, carefully, for travel and history of symptoms. Our ears normally up are way up for anything out of the ordinary. Everybody watches the patient carefully when the ambulance gurney hits the door and they come into the ER. It is a little tenser a ratcheting up of eyes on the patient. On transfers the other hospital asks the same questions and then confirms the answers.

Most of us are just careful taking histories We have protocols to immediately contain. Rooms ready, hazmat ready, phone numbers on speed dial to the chief and the phone tree. It is more fatiguing body and mind. It's taxing. If someone vomiting comes into the ER you can bet nobody is rushing in until we know, for sure that they are not at risk for this killer virus....until we know for sure.

finally, sanity speaks!
may God protect you all

Old 10-19-2014, 08:09 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:

check this statement in 6 months
lets see if you think the same way

Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Is that the smart, prudent move on her part & officials responsibilities to the general public?

No.
In light of this just coming to the US this is a foolhardy selfish act. Should not we err on the side of caution & responsibility when it comes to Ebola here?
I will say in this woman's defense, she probably had the cruise lined up for months. She felt she was low risk. She was a supervisor. I just heard them reiterate on TV, Ebola is contracted by direct contact with bodily fluids. At the most, she may have handled some blood in a tube, wearing gloves, using the "universal precautions" that are taken for every blood specimen. (I seriously doubt she drew the blood herself.)

Old 10-19-2014, 08:18 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:

No.
I think a lot of people are confusing the side of caution with irrational panic.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:35 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
check this statement in 6 months
lets see if you think the same way

"it's a gay disease". "it's a disease of impoverished people and those that treat them".

Language makes a difference. No disease is confined to a socioeconomic group. that is not the way diseases are categorized.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I will say in this woman's defense, she probably had the cruise lined up for months. She felt she was low risk. She was a supervisor. I just heard them reiterate on TV, Ebola is contracted by direct contact with bodily fluids. At the most, she may have handled some blood in a tube, wearing gloves, using the "universal precautions" that are taken for every blood specimen. (I seriously doubt she drew the blood herself.)
Quote:
I think a lot of people are confusing the side of caution with irrational panic.

Being one that "was there" and involved it is simple common sense to be cautious (which is not panic).

The two that have not sure have caused businesses and their employer a lot of unnecessary grief and expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies