Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
A lot of white people believe as long as theyre not "rich", white privilege doesn't apply to them
They are intentionally missing the boat at this point. Those folks are the same people quick to declare blacks as being "inferior."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated
Yes, I know.. slap "liberal academics." Should I slap my engineering professors too?
If they're talking about "white privilege," then yes.

I don't care who you slap. Whoever is teaching you about white privilege.

Quote:
Can start by reforming the criminal justice system and destroying the Prison Industrial Complex. Let's also end the war on drugs. Legalize marijuana.
That's OK with me. But that has nothing to do with "white privilege."

You realize that some of the most harshest sentencing guidelines - for crack - for example, were enacted with support and PRESSURE from the black community, who claimed that the system "wasn't doing enough" to tackle drug problems in their communities?

Quote:
Yea, 400 years of oppression let's throw it out the window because a black man was elected president. The slate was wiped clean.
Did I mention the president at all? Why are you?

The topic is "other factors beyond race which contribute to economic success." I look to culture. You reach back to 400 years of oppression. Ok, that's fine, but has nothing to do with my next point:

1) Economic position at birth is #1 factor of how far you will go, per numerous studies;
2) Children in Poverty and single motherhood is highly correlated;
3) Single motherhood has been epidemic since the 1960s. Black families were stronger during some of the worst eras of oppression.

But no. "White privilege," right?

Quote:
Why are African-immigrants the most educated group in the country? What is the difference between them and native-born blacks?
Cultural differences. I think we established this. Why do Haitians under-perform on all social metrics vis-à-vis other Caribbean black groups, Africans, and American blacks? Cultural differences.

Quote:
Being a wealthy black =/= a "black privilege."
Black privilege is situational. Try being a white guy to get elected the mayor of a majority black town. You will be DISADVANTAGED in that endeavor.

Black privilege is different. It's being free of the burden of being blamed for the world's problems.

Quote:
Privilege is a problem. In society, we strive to allow everyone a chance to succeed.
Yes. We do have that goal.

But what do we do... other than teach people to treat everyone equally and with respect? How do we combat the fact that people born smart will do better and be more respected than people born not as smart? Or that beautiful people are hired more than ugly people, and get better treatment?

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Being PC is just nothing I am interested in.

I quit pumping up the ego of others years ago.
It's not about "being P.C."...

It's about being fair and respectable to others.

Only the WEAKEST of people find it acceptable to hate or look down on others based on differences that are out of their control.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:57 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Good, we are getting somewhere.

Now be conscious of your prejudices and how they can oppress people without that privilege. Be an ally when injustices happen. You have the right idea!

The two have absolutely no correlation. Prejudice and privilege do not go necessarily go together. They are mutually exclusive concepts in this context.

Try again.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Willful ignorance is an example of white privilege.
Pretty poor response.

Please explain to me why the color of someones skin is so important.

Tell me if someone who is raised by a family with a high wealth will probably have life more easy than someone who is raised by a family with lower wealth.

Or you could just continue taking your typical rounte and just call people ignorant who don't agree with you.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
What this question seems to miss is the fact that the perception of white privilege is not really skin color but a number of other factors. First it is primarily financial. Your folks have more money, they can afford a better house, live in a safer neighborhood, and go to better schools with other people that are also hard working and serious about getting a good education and a good job.

Second, because of this, you interact with a better class of people. We can't ignore that we are not a classless society. But its not based on race, its based on $$$$$. Because you know a better class of people who have more money, knowing those people opens up better opportunities than if you neighbors and friends are on food stamps.

Third. White children are more likely to be raised in a two parent household. Studies have shown that children raised by two parents do much better in school and are much less likely to live in poverty or get involved with the criminal justice system. So I wish people would open their eyes and quit screaming racism, when the problems of poverty, crime,drugs etc. go much deeper than the color of someones skin.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's not about "being P.C."...

It's about being fair and respectable to others.

Only the WEAKEST of people find it acceptable to hate or look down on others based on differences that are out of their control.
Are you saying that given a choice blacks would choose to be white????

Old 10-17-2014, 10:07 AM
JJG

Quote:
Are you saying that given a choice blacks would choose to be white????
... I can't come up with anything that would properly sum up just how completely dumb and off base this response is.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
... I can't come up with anything that would properly sum up just how completely dumb and off base this response is.
You said "things out of their control".

What things would you control??? (about looks)

Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 AM
JJG

Quote:
You said "things out of their control".

What things would you control??? (about looks)
If that's the ONLY thing you took out of my post, then there's really nothing else to talk to you about, is there?

It just shows the point that I was making.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies